Help me improve as an editor

Feedback on betas & works in progress

Moderator: Forum moderators

xenija
Org Profile

Help me improve as an editor

Post by xenija » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:37 am

I want to know what i can do to improve, i've seen a lot of editors here and i want to know how i can begin getting to their level :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHLoi7h ... =AnimeBros Here's my newest AMV suggest me what i can change/improve/remove to make a better AMV viewing experience :puppy:

davenfonet
Org Profile

Re: Help me improve as an editor

Post by davenfonet » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:51 pm

well sense no one else has commented here...

1. video quality... sucks, it may be youtube but I doubt it. You have tons of obvious indicators that you didn't spend any time getting the best quality footage. also the show is airing in Japan, I know many editors wait until they have BD or DVD footage to work with because it is higher quality.

2. your video doesn't seem to contain a soul, like it doesn't really have a narrative flow that I can follow, it seems to be a one punch man is cool video, but it makes it look average at best. It may also be that I don't watch the show, but I don't get excited watching your video. I've been told I need to watch the show, this video doesn't make me want to do it as soon as I get home.

3. transitions: use them, use them a lot, simple dip to whites and blacks can have a huge impact on a video in terms of linking disparate scenes items together

4. cut your sceenes down, its great that a show looks good or has an awesome animated section. I don't want to see the whole thing in an AMV.

That all being said you have 24k hits on youtube and 16k subscribers so maybe i'm wrong.
The ToddFather

Xophilarus
Org Profile

Re: Help me improve as an editor

Post by Xophilarus » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:38 pm

Firstly, yes, there are video quality problems so you gotta get some nicer looking footage.There are also a lot of weird color issues going on as well.

Secondly, I feel like you should have waited for the show to finish before trying to make an action video with it because the video feels pretty underpaced a lot of the time. You gotta make sure you keep up with the song, and focus harder on beat sync as well. Try to focus on having movements in the scenes hit with beats in the song, and change scenes on beats as well when possible.

Thirdly, is addressing the whole narrative thing. AMVs in no way need a narrative people have to follow. Some people do find it easier to watch AMVs with them, but honestly, to me, the number one goal of an AMV should be to fit the visuals to the audio as best as possible. Sometimes this is done as a narrative, sometimes not, but basically follow the song very strongly.

Pretty much the biggest issue in this video is the fact there is a very limited amount of beat sync, and it feels slower than the song so you gotta work on those things. Like I mentioned before though, I think one of the reasons it ended up this way is because you didn't wait until there was more footage to edit to ^^

Return to “Works in Progress”