First ever AMV

Feedback on betas & works in progress

Moderator: Forum moderators

hbaws
Org Profile

First ever AMV

Post by hbaws » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:42 am

I hope it's not too bad as my first ever made AMV.
Just about the Tower of Heaven arc in the Fairy Tail series. I didn't use a lyrical song, so it'll seem more like a trailer instead, but that's just me for now, haha.
Link to my AMV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Nvgw9TppQA

Feel free to leave any criticism or feedback as to my AMV (Don't be too harsh, haha).
Drop a Like if you actually liked it.

Thanks all, I appreciate everything

TheLuminaireShow
Org Profile

Re: First ever AMV

Post by TheLuminaireShow » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:39 pm

Well first off, to get it out of the way, your source material isn't high def. Check the footage you used and look at the aspect ration and the pixel ratio. If it's 1280 x 720 that's standard 720p HD, but I'm guessing yours isn't. There isn't much point in exporting your video at such a high resolution when the source material is that much lower, cause all it will do is stretch it.

Honestly, for a first attempt it was better than I thought it'd be. You showed restraint in effects and you understand synch and timing, which is a good start. As someone who isn't familiar with the anime, I could clearly tell you had a goal with your video and were trying to convey a certain story or message. That's an important aspect to have. You used fades where appropriate and not many hard cuts that stood out against the song.

Personally I don't like the faux subtitles. Maybe because I don't know who the characters are, but it was a tad garish. Pure voice would've been better imo and even if I said keep them in, the plain white was hard to read and didn't compliment the video.

I encourage you to keep at it and make more, maybe experiment with some effects and other ideas cause you understand many of the fundamentals, which is hard to teach to somebody. Considering it's a first attempt, I'd rate it an 8/10. If I were to disregard your experience and judge it by itself, more of a 7.

Check out my new video in my profile, I wouldn't mind some feedback either. :)
Name's Luminaire. Oboishinasai!
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLuminaireShow

hbaws
Org Profile

Post by hbaws » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:17 am

TheLuminaireShow wrote:Well first off, to get it out of the way, your source material isn't high def. Check the footage you used and look at the aspect ration and the pixel ratio. If it's 1280 x 720 that's standard 720p HD, but I'm guessing yours isn't. There isn't much point in exporting your video at such a high resolution when the source material is that much lower, cause all it will do is stretch it.

Honestly, for a first attempt it was better than I thought it'd be. You showed restraint in effects and you understand synch and timing, which is a good start. As someone who isn't familiar with the anime, I could clearly tell you had a goal with your video and were trying to convey a certain story or message. That's an important aspect to have. You used fades where appropriate and not many hard cuts that stood out against the song.

Personally I don't like the faux subtitles. Maybe because I don't know who the characters are, but it was a tad garish. Pure voice would've been better imo and even if I said keep them in, the plain white was hard to read and didn't compliment the video.

I encourage you to keep at it and make more, maybe experiment with some effects and other ideas cause you understand many of the fundamentals, which is hard to teach to somebody. Considering it's a first attempt, I'd rate it an 8/10. If I were to disregard your experience and judge it by itself, more of a 7.

Check out my new video in my profile, I wouldn't mind some feedback either. :)
Wow, thank you for the kind words!
Yeah, I know what you mean by the low quality footage. After exams, and school or what not, I'm definitely going to find a new way to convert all my mkv's without having to destroy the quality. Let's say I was sorta desperate into making one and trying it out. :P

Anywho, thank you for the feedback and opinion.
I've watched your AMV and it was splendid. Keep it up buddy! :D!

Eake4
Australian Zeus
Org Profile

Post by Eake4 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:55 am

hbaws wrote:I'm definitely going to find a new way to convert all my mkv's without having to destroy the quality. Let's say I was sorta desperate into making one and trying it out. :P
VirtualDub and Avisynth is the way to go! They keep 100% quality without anyloss.
btw Really nice first AMV. Im not really good at judging AMVs so all I can say is you've mastered some of the basics. Learning from the Guides available on the Org will greatly improve your knowlegde about codecs and the technical part while reading thru the Visual Effects page would help you improve your abilities in terms of concepts and originailty.

Goodluck :up:

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:03 pm

Please don't forget to enter the video into our catalog as per the Opinion Exchange rules.

Return to “Works in Progress”