The Unofficial Thank you for the finalist videos pack! topic

This forum is for the promotion of videos for the 2008 AnimeMusicVideos.org Viewer’s Choice Awards. Please be sure to promote other videos in addition to your own. This is a temporary forum and will be removed when the contest is concluded.

The Unofficial Thank you for the finalist videos pack! topic

Postby jikap » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:14 pm

I guess i just wanted to say thank you, for the trouble of creating the giant video pack of all the finalists with the awesome playlist :)

it made me see some videos i would otherwise miss, and even changed some of my votes. ;)

So, once again, Thank you :!:
User avatar
jikap
 
Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Location: Norway

Postby CrackTheSky » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:17 pm

Yeah, that was pretty awesome of the mods (or was it just jasper?). I've already downloaded all these videos throughout the year, but I really like the idea of it! Good job!
User avatar
CrackTheSky
Fancy Balls
 
Joined: 27 Aug 2006
Location: Chicago
Status: Probably not editing.

Postby Mooninaut » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:53 pm

I haven't been keeping up with AMVs.org, so I don't have any of this year's videos. I'm very grateful to be able to download all the finalists at once. Thanks a bunch!

One minor question: Would it be desirable to make a torrent instead of a HTTP download to save on site bandwidth? I'd be happy to seed a torrent if it existed.
Mooninaut
 
Joined: 28 Jul 2006
Location: Cupertino, CA, USA

Postby CodeZTM » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:54 pm

Yah. Thnx for the wonderfulness of the download. :O
User avatar
CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
 
Joined: 03 Mar 2006
Location: Arkansas
Status: Flapping Lips

Postby godix » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:32 pm

Mooninaut wrote:One minor question: Would it be desirable to make a torrent instead of a HTTP download to save on site bandwidth? I'd be happy to seed a torrent if it existed.

Considering the VCAs are over in less than a week, probably not. Next year thouogh I'd kinda like to see torrents of the semi finals (broken into categories so you can skip the boring ones like romance or biggest noob).

I think I said this elsewhere but nice idea, it's good to know more people will at least get all the finals if not necessarily watch them before voting.
Image
User avatar
godix
a disturbed member
 
Joined: 03 Aug 2002

Re: The Unofficial Thank you for the finalist videos pack! t

Postby jasper-isis » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:18 pm

jikap wrote:I guess i just wanted to say thank you, for the trouble of creating the giant video pack of all the finalists with the awesome playlist :)

You're welcome! :D

jikap wrote:it made me see some videos i would otherwise miss, and even changed some of my votes. ;)

Sweet, that was exactly the kind of effect that I had intended.

Mooninaut wrote:One minor question: Would it be desirable to make a torrent instead of a HTTP download to save on site bandwidth? I'd be happy to seed a torrent if it existed.

I tossed that idea around for a while, and after a while we decided to just go with the HTTP download for simplicity's sake. Bittorrent is a very viable option, but I'm fuzzy on the logistical details (how to set up a tracker, how many seeders we'd need, etc). If anybody wants to set up a tracker on their private site (with no links to pirated videos/music/warez) and start seeding, I wouldn't mind hopping on and seeding as well.

godix wrote:Next year thouogh I'd kinda like to see torrents of the semi finals (broken into categories so you can skip the boring ones like romance or biggest noob).

I agree with pushing the semi videos a little more (after all, the semis determine the finals), but I don't think splitting the files by category is the way to do it. Especially since, as you said, a lot of people would just download the categories they like and ignore the others. We need a way of encouraging people to watch all the entries without being too pushy about it, and we're trying to think outside of the box right now to figure out how. ;)
Image
User avatar
jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
 
Joined: 13 Aug 2002
Status: catching all the lights

Re: The Unofficial Thank you for the finalist videos pack! t

Postby Mithroch » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:31 pm

jasper-isis wrote:
godix wrote:Next year thouogh I'd kinda like to see torrents of the semi finals (broken into categories so you can skip the boring ones like romance or biggest noob).

I agree with pushing the semi videos a little more (after all, the semis determine the finals), but I don't think splitting the files by category is the way to do it. Especially since, as you said, a lot of people would just download the categories they like and ignore the others. We need a way of encouraging people to watch all the entries without being too pushy about it, and we're trying to think outside of the box right now to figure out how. ;)

It certainly couldn't hurt. I downloaded a crap ton of stuff I hadn't seen or had deleted earlier in the year for the semis. The process was for each category involved... figuring out if I had the video to begin with... downloading everything I needed... watching... critiquing... rewatching... voting. I ended up making a spread sheet to track each category (man I'm a dork... even for a dork). Also... I had trouble downloading a few vids that were only available via direct d/l (those people lost).

I think anything to give voters more time to watch the videos rather than downloading and reorganizing their AMV collection would help them get to categories in which they have less interest. Due to the time I took making sure I had everything... I ended up running out of time to watch all of the best compilations... and was considering cutting out other categories as well.
I'm not rich... I just plan on dying before I retire.
User avatar
Mithroch
 
Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Location: Indiana. There isn't more than corn here. The crow lies.
Status: terrible death whinnied

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:20 pm

I'd also support the torrenting idea for next year - the whole download is pretty large, and if a torrent was correctly implemented anyone grabbing it could unselect videos that he/she already has, decreasing the wait time and the unnecessary duplication. As it is, i'd grab he whole thing this year, but i probably have over 2/3 of that 2.1 GB archive on my computer already. Not 2/3 of the videos, but 2/3 of the entire size *coughMEPscough*
User avatar
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
 
Joined: 14 Sep 2004
Location: Merrimack, NH
Status: Extreeeeeeeeeme

Postby DriftRoot » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:16 pm

Torrent = good, as long as the seeding was kept up.

Just make a bulk torrent available for download with the individual videos broken up by category within it - essentially giving people with a small amount of bittorrent technical knowledge the option to download the whole thing, specific categories or specific AMVs as they wish and still satisfy folks who just want a convenient "click here to get 'em all" option.

The only iffy part of making a bulk torrent is that I could see it migrating elsewhere on the Web extremely easily - if a-m-v.org wants to keep control of the VCA videos as a collection, that's letting the cat out of the bag big time...not sure if that's actually even a viable concern, but I could see naughty people sticking their own AMVs in the collection and then redistributing it as the official VCA pack. Given the number of people who like to swipe/be dishonest about AMVs and the number of people who are incredibly ill-informed about what they download (and/or gullible)...it's not that far fetched to think such a thing could a) happen or b) be a problem.

I'm such a glass-is-half-full kind of person...
Image
ImageImageImage
User avatar
DriftRoot
 
Joined: 09 Jun 2003
Location: N.H.
Status: As important as any plug-in.

Postby Otohiko » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:20 pm

DriftRoot wrote:Just make a bulk torrent available for download with the individual videos broken up by category within it - essentially giving people with a small amount of bittorrent technical knowledge the option to download the whole thing, specific categories or specific AMVs as they wish and still satisfy folks who just want a convenient "click here to get 'em all" option.


That's what I was saying, no need to split up the torrents - I personally often get "big pack" torrents from which I only get individual files that I want and cancel out the rest. No "advanced" torrenting skills needed here, just a decent client.

But let's not focus the discussion on torrents just yet. How do we know that, just as this year, the administration won't have a good non-torrent solution? I mean, bandwith isn't a problem for the .org as far as I'm aware. All it'd take is just another clever method of packaging the vids :P
Otohiko
 
Joined: 05 May 2003

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:52 pm

Yea, how much of the package file size is taken up by the MEPs? Having a non MEP option might be helpful.
User avatar
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
 
Joined: 14 Sep 2004
Location: Merrimack, NH
Status: Extreeeeeeeeeme

Postby SpatulaCastle » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:03 pm

For some interesting reason, I can't unzip the file once it's downloaded. I keep getting a message saying that the file is corrupt whenever I try.
Image
User avatar
SpatulaCastle
 
Joined: 18 Jul 2004
Location: My house

Postby jasper-isis » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:45 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:Yea, how much of the package file size is taken up by the MEPs? Having a non MEP option might be helpful.

There are no MEPs in the pack this year.. >__>

I thought the size would be smaller due to new compression technology, but it seemed like most videos were upwards of 50MB anyway.

Spatula_Castle wrote:For some interesting reason, I can't unzip the file once it's downloaded. I keep getting a message saying that the file is corrupt whenever I try.

Your download probably got corrupted. :(
Image
User avatar
jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
 
Joined: 13 Aug 2002
Status: catching all the lights

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:49 pm

jasper-isis wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:Yea, how much of the package file size is taken up by the MEPs? Having a non MEP option might be helpful.

There are no MEPs in the pack this year.. >__>

Wow... That's a pretty big archive then.
User avatar
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
 
Joined: 14 Sep 2004
Location: Merrimack, NH
Status: Extreeeeeeeeeme

Postby Gods Dark Angel » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:25 am

My D/L also got currupted : ( I wanted to vote, but have missed out on most of the AMV scene last year. SO, rather than make an uninformed decision, there's always next year :P
Kratos could totally beat up your dad. With his own limbs. Unless your dad is Voltron.
Kalium wrote:Basically, I happened to the local.
User avatar
Gods Dark Angel
 
Joined: 05 Aug 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD

Next

Return to 2008 AnimeMusicVideo.org Viewer's Choice Awards

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests