is there a easier way to do a writing text effect?

For all help and discussion relating to visual effects in programs that are not already covered in an existing forum, such as Blender, Particle Illusion, etc., along with discussion about effects theories and techniques.

Moderator: Niotex

is there a easier way to do a writing text effect?

Postby kireblue » Tue May 11, 2010 3:26 pm

I'm trying to have text in my video as if it was being written while the video was playing. Is there a easy way to do this if you have a lot of text? I found a tutorial on youtube, but since I have a lot of text throughout the video, his method would take hours (possibly days). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpqT_bzhiA8

Does anyone know of a quicker way to do this? I'm attempting to do this with Adobe After Effects, but if its easier to do in another program, I have no problems with switching since I already have the main movie done.
MomoCon AMV Exhibitions Director
Seishun Con Fan Media Director
kireblue

Re: is there a easier way to do a writing text effect?

Postby GH » Tue May 11, 2010 3:52 pm

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorial/graffiti_writing/

there's a tutorial for it in after effects. i've done this a few times and it only takes a couple minutes, or maybe not even that. i don't believe it's done the same way in that tutorial as the youtube one, can't quite remember; haven't needed it in a while. but anyway, it's clearly explained. (it also includes a few other things other than the writing text effect that you could skip over.)
GH

Postby kireblue » Tue May 11, 2010 10:24 pm

This was exactly what I needed. Thank you so much. I truly appreciate it.
MomoCon AMV Exhibitions Director
Seishun Con Fan Media Director
kireblue

Postby christiw » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:54 am

One way is to create the Title maybe using a "typewriter" font, and then animate the Crop Effect to reveal one letter at a time. Think about adding an SFX of a typewriter key hitting paper to enhance the visuals.
christiw

Return to Visual Effects