How to do this effect (from specific AMV)

Pheonix Rose
Org Profile

How to do this effect (from specific AMV)

Post by Pheonix Rose » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:11 pm

Hi everyone! I am currently trying to get familiar with the program After Effects, and I was wondering about how to do an effect that was done in an MEP part (actually I have also seen the exact same effect done in a video M@D but that's another story).

This is the video and the effect is from seconds :03-:08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmOPtyYqVeE

I not really sure how to go about doing the film strip effect. Is it a plug-in that could help or must you get the film strip images and set the layers up manually. Any assistance would be of help.

P.s: I'm also new to this forum so if I am going against any rules please inform me ^^

Vivaldi
Polemic Apologist
Org Profile

Re: How to do this effect (from specific AMV)

Post by Vivaldi » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:49 pm

To me, it looks like it was done manually, i.e., long black plane with holes masked alongside, and the video embedded just above the black plane.

All stuck together in a 3D comp. He may have stack it so he only has to change the source footage once each time.
<Kenzichu> HAHAHA!!
<Kenzichu> everyone died!

Pheonix Rose
Org Profile

Post by Pheonix Rose » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:32 am

Vivaldi wrote:He may have stack it so he only has to change the source footage once each time.

Thank you for the reply, but could you explain how that can be done?

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:19 pm

Pheonix Rose wrote:
Vivaldi wrote:He may have stack it so he only has to change the source footage once each time.

Thank you for the reply, but could you explain how that can be done?
It's a nested composition. You create one composition, A, apply the effect to a video layer in it, start a new composition, B, add composition A to composition B and apply the effect, etc. etc.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Pheonix Rose
Org Profile

Post by Pheonix Rose » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:18 pm

Umm, I'm still at a bit of a lost, but thanks for the help anyway. I guess I'll just have to do some experimenting :book:

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:19 pm

Pheonix Rose wrote:Umm, I'm still at a bit of a lost, but thanks for the help anyway. I guess I'll just have to do some experimenting :book:

That's quite honestly the best way to learn how to do anything video editing wise. :up:

Vivaldi
Polemic Apologist
Org Profile

Post by Vivaldi » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:48 pm

Pheonix Rose wrote:Umm, I'm still at a bit of a lost, but thanks for the help anyway. I guess I'll just have to do some experimenting :book:
Create one segment of film reel with the clip you want in it.

Pre-comp the layers: Layer>Pre-Compose>Move attributes to new composition.

Now, Copy the Pre-Comp 3 or 4 times, align the layers as a properly symmetrical film reel. (As you want it to look in the final amv)

Select all the layers and Pre-Comp them again: Layer>Pre-Compose>Move attributes to new composition.

Now the whole film real should be one element, and you can change the video being used just by altering the first Pre-Comp you made.
<Kenzichu> HAHAHA!!
<Kenzichu> everyone died!

Pheonix Rose
Org Profile

Post by Pheonix Rose » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:53 pm

Vivaldi wrote:
Create one segment of film reel with the clip you want in it.

Pre-comp the layers: Layer>Pre-Compose>Move attributes to new composition.

Now, Copy the Pre-Comp 3 or 4 times, align the layers as a properly symmetrical film reel. (As you want it to look in the final amv)

Select all the layers and Pre-Comp them again: Layer>Pre-Compose>Move attributes to new composition.

Now the whole film real should be one element, and you can change the video being used just by altering the first Pre-Comp you made.
Thanks you so much for this, now I understand. You're a very patient person :up:

Return to “Effects & Techniques”