Black and white with character in colour?

xPiikanyaa
Phail Whale
Org Profile

Black and white with character in colour?

Post by xPiikanyaa » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:29 am

I want to do an effect similar to the ones in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0l7_eUqBG0
at about 2:40 where the scene is in black and white but Pikachu is still yellow, but how do you do it??? btw, I use Vegas Movie Studio 9.

puremurasaki
Org Profile

Re: Black and white with character in colour?

Post by puremurasaki » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:10 pm

I used Sony Vegas Pro v8.0 and with this program you could do that by recopy the scene you want into a top layer and then mask the object in the layer on top - leave the top layer with color and then black/white the under layer OR there's the desaturated ONLY COLOR effect where when applied to a clip everything turn black/white except one desirable color...is that what u want?

Guess this won't help much cause I've never use other sony product beside vegas pro.

Here's a tutorial I did to show u what I mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULyJrwP_4_o

AFT
Org Profile

Post by AFT » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:38 pm

Yeah you're gonna have to mask it. There are other ways to do it, like using chroma keyer or color corrector but neither one gives you nearly as good a result as masking will. :up:

xPiikanyaa
Phail Whale
Org Profile

Post by xPiikanyaa » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:26 pm

Thanks :) the version of Vegas I use dosen't seem to have masking so I guess I'm gonna have to do it by painting out the background of each frame like last time i tried to mask. :? At least it'll *hopefully* be worth it in the end.

Vivaldi
Polemic Apologist
Org Profile

Post by Vivaldi » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:27 pm

DarkPhoenix22 wrote:Thanks :) the version of Vegas I use dosen't seem to have masking so I guess I'm gonna have to do it by painting out the background of each frame like last time i tried to mask. :? At least it'll *hopefully* be worth it in the end.
You know, rather than painting out the backgrounds, sending it to vegas, and color keying, you could just do the masking frame by frame. You're adding an extra step that'll make it more imprecise in the long run. and harder for you.
<Kenzichu> HAHAHA!!
<Kenzichu> everyone died!

xPiikanyaa
Phail Whale
Org Profile

Post by xPiikanyaa » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:48 am

Vivaldi wrote:
DarkPhoenix22 wrote:Thanks :) the version of Vegas I use dosen't seem to have masking so I guess I'm gonna have to do it by painting out the background of each frame like last time i tried to mask. :? At least it'll *hopefully* be worth it in the end.
You know, rather than painting out the backgrounds, sending it to vegas, and color keying, you could just do the masking frame by frame. You're adding an extra step that'll make it more imprecise in the long run. and harder for you.
Do you mean masking frame by frame actually IN the program? 'Cause I use the Movie Studio version of Vegas, and it dosen't have masking. By the way, I can't link to the video, so here's a picture to show you what I mean.
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/7817/01000.png

Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid
Org Profile

Post by Enigma » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:15 pm

Since you're using Vegas Movie Studio the only thing i'd recomend is chroma keyer :s.

Vivaldi
Polemic Apologist
Org Profile

Post by Vivaldi » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:21 pm

DarkPhoenix22 wrote:
Vivaldi wrote:
Do you mean masking frame by frame actually IN the program? 'Cause I use the Movie Studio version of Vegas, and it dosen't have masking. By the way, I can't link to the video, so here's a picture to show you what I mean.
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/7817/01000.png
No, I'm saying, you're exporting it frame by frame to paint out the background in an image editor, correct? What I'm saying is, why don't you just mask/cut out the BG in the image editor, rather than exporting the frames, then coloring the the background, then re-importing, then color keying.

You'll be much more accurate by masking in your image editor.
<Kenzichu> HAHAHA!!
<Kenzichu> everyone died!

xPiikanyaa
Phail Whale
Org Profile

Post by xPiikanyaa » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:45 am

Oh, I get it now. Thanks for the help!

Return to “Effects & Techniques”