After Effects - Increasing thickness layer

For all help and discussion relating to visual effects in programs that are not already covered in an existing forum, such as Blender, Particle Illusion, etc., along with discussion about effects theories and techniques.

Moderator: Niotex

After Effects - Increasing thickness layer

Postby SenTrix » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:41 pm

I was was make a book cover for my next up coming amv, but i run in to a brick wall. Basically I need to increase the thickness of a pre-comp'ed layer. would i need to a plugin or preset for this?

And i was thinking would it look nice if i leave the size of the book into a square or maybe change it to a rectangle?

Any help are welcome :up:
Image <<..:: Click Me ::..>> Image
SenTrix

Re: After Effects - Increasing thickness layer

Postby Brad » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:00 pm

Unfortunately, this is a major stumbling block. After Effects, while it does theoretically work in "3D space", it's still only working with 2 dimensional objects. Your image has an x-width, and a y-height, but no z-depth. There are ways of getting around it, but personally none that I find all that intuitive or practical, but others do find them to be useful. Try out Zaxwerks 3D Invigorator Pro.

Another thing you could try is making another 2D layer, rotating it 90 degrees (on the y axis) and pushing it right to the corner edge of your other 2D plane. I've made some 3D boxes using this method, but it's fairly tedious.
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site
Brad

Postby SenTrix » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:12 pm

Brad wrote:Unfortunately, this is a major stumbling block. After Effects, while it does theoretically work in "3D space", it's still only working with 2 dimensional objects. Your image has an x-width, and a y-height, but no z-depth. There are ways of getting around it, but personally none that I find all that intuitive or practical, but others do find them to be useful. Try out Zaxwerks 3D Invigorator Pro.

Another thing you could try is making another 2D layer, rotating it 90 degrees (on the y axis) and pushing it right to the corner edge of your other 2D plane. I've made some 3D boxes using this method, but it's fairly tedious.

Thats what I was kinda afraid of... is Zaxwerks 3D Invigorator Pro expensive? and i heard something about maya used in the amv 'Spoil', but the softwares name it self sounds expensive, so i doubt i can afford one...
And about the 2D layer, should i just pick-wip all the other 2D layer to the first 2D layer and still look nice?

Sentrix
SenTrix

Postby LivingFlame » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:30 pm

Ha, 'expensive' is an understatement for Maya.

As for the Zaxwerks program, Invigorator Classic is $250 and Invigorator Pro is $400.

You can get a 30 day free trial of Maya. I don't know about Invigorator.

I don't know the answer to your last question either. Sorry.
... yea ...
LivingFlame

Postby SenTrix » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:33 pm

LivingFlame wrote:Ha, 'expensive' is an understatement for Maya.

As for the Zaxwerks program, Invigorator Classic is $250 and Invigorator Pro is $400.

You can get a 30 day free trial of Maya. I don't know about Invigorator.

I don't know the answer to your last question either. Sorry.

thanks for the links :up: and as for the last question i made was kind of stupid, i totally forgot i can just pre-comp the thing.

thanks again ~ Sentrix
SenTrix

Postby blabbler » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:38 pm

brad is right, building a box is the simplest way, unless you feel the need to learn blender or shell out on more something more expensive.

zaxwerks is really steep for what it gives you. it was also a bit unstable last time i played with it.

look me up on aim if you want to see my half-assed approach to this problem.
blabbler

Postby SenTrix » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:53 pm

blabbler wrote:brad is right, building a box is the simplest way, unless you feel the need to learn blender or shell out on more something more expensive.

zaxwerks is really steep for what it gives you. it was also a bit unstable last time i played with it.

look me up on aim if you want to see my half-assed approach to this problem.

Sure, will do... zaxwerks looks a bit wierd imo O_o
SenTrix

Postby Brad » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:42 pm

It is. And unfortunately it's one of the only real solutions for "good" 3D object integration within AE. With CS4, they allow you to import Photoshop 3D layers, which in turn requires you to already have a 3D model to import into Photoshop. So if you could find a pre-made 3D model of a book, that'd be one way to go. Frankly though, AE still has a long way to go to allow for "true 3D" within the interface. They really just need to completely overhaul the code for that to happen. For now though, the best way to do solid 3D graphics integration with AE is to use Cinema4D, since the two work better together than any other solution I've found. Still though, if AE had the ability to just make really simple primitives (cubes, spheres, cylinders, 3D text, etc.) right within the interface and let you interact with them the same way you interact with 2D layers in the 3D space, it'd be a HUGE update.
Brad

Postby SenTrix » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:56 pm

Brad wrote:It is. And unfortunately it's one of the only real solutions for "good" 3D object integration within AE. With CS4, they allow you to import Photoshop 3D layers, which in turn requires you to already have a 3D model to import into Photoshop. So if you could find a pre-made 3D model of a book, that'd be one way to go. Frankly though, AE still has a long way to go to allow for "true 3D" within the interface. They really just need to completely overhaul the code for that to happen. For now though, the best way to do solid 3D graphics integration with AE is to use Cinema4D, since the two work better together than any other solution I've found. Still though, if AE had the ability to just make really simple primitives (cubes, spheres, cylinders, 3D text, etc.) right within the interface and let you interact with them the same way you interact with 2D layers in the 3D space, it'd be a HUGE update.

so cinema4d can create a 3d book? and for that option for ae to have would be really nice...
i have one minor set back, i have about 13layers of the 2d layer on top of the other just like u said, but when i pre-comp the whole thing it went back to one solid 2d layer... any idea how i can try solving this with out using pick-wip cos my 3d space would look very un organised and the timeline would be too confusing.
SenTrix

Postby Zarxrax » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:22 pm

Turn on the 3d layer switch for the precomp, and I think you might also have to turn on one of the other switches. Collapse transformations, maybe?
Zarxrax

Postby SenTrix » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:27 pm

Zarxrax wrote:Turn on the 3d layer switch for the precomp, and I think you might also have to turn on one of the other switches. Collapse transformations, maybe?

i tried turning on the 3d layer for the pre comp but dsnt work and where can i find collapse transformation? cant find it.
SenTrix

Postby Vivaldi » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:12 pm

Even if cinema4d or maya may (or may not) be more efficient with AE, I'd recommend blender (especially for something as simple as a book) for one main reason, it's free, and it's powerful. That of course, is if you're going the full 3D route.
<Kenzichu> HAHAHA!!
<Kenzichu> everyone died!
Vivaldi
Polemic Apologist

Postby Brad » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:19 pm

Do you still need the layers to have a 3D space? You just want your timeline to be more manageable? Then yeah, do what Zarxrax said. Pre-comp the 3D layers, check the 3D box, then collapse transformations

And as Vivaldi pointed out, Blender is definitely a viable option for the budget-conscious. The only problem with Blender though is purely a logistical one. There's a somewhat steep learning curve, especially if you're new to 3D, and the amount of traning available for it is far less than what's available for Maya, 3DS Max, XSI, and Cinema4D. It doesn't make it any less of a good program, it just means that it's somewhat harder to get into.
Brad

Postby SenTrix » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:00 am

Vivaldi wrote:Even if cinema4d or maya may (or may not) be more efficient with AE, I'd recommend blender (especially for something as simple as a book) for one main reason, it's free, and it's powerful. That of course, is if you're going the full 3D route.

Thanks so much for the link, i was searching for a for 3D compositing program. thanks :up:
And do you know a site that do tutorial covering the basic for blender?

Brad wrote:Do you still need the layers to have a 3D space? You just want your timeline to be more manageable? Then yeah, do what Zarxrax said. Pre-comp the 3D layers, check the 3D box, then collapse transformations

And as Vivaldi pointed out, Blender is definitely a viable option for the budget-conscious. The only problem with Blender though is purely a logistical one. There's a somewhat steep learning curve, especially if you're new to 3D, and the amount of traning available for it is far less than what's available for Maya, 3DS Max, XSI, and Cinema4D. It doesn't make it any less of a good program, it just means that it's somewhat harder to get into.

Aah thanks i finally got it looking more of a 3 dimensional now. thanks for the help everyone. i'll probs post something else when i run to another wall.

SenTrix
SenTrix

Postby Vivaldi » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:00 pm

Sentrix wrote:
Vivaldi wrote:Even if cinema4d or maya may (or may not) be more efficient with AE, I'd recommend blender (especially for something as simple as a book) for one main reason, it's free, and it's powerful. That of course, is if you're going the full 3D route.

Thanks so much for the link, i was searching for a for 3D compositing program. thanks :up:
And do you know a site that do tutorial covering the basic for blender?

Brad wrote:Do you still need the layers to have a 3D space? You just want your timeline to be more manageable? Then yeah, do what Zarxrax said. Pre-comp the 3D layers, check the 3D box, then collapse transformations

Aah thanks i finally got it looking more of a 3 dimensional now. thanks for the help everyone. i'll probs post something else when i run to another wall.

SenTrix

Though Brads right about the volume of tuts compared to others, there's tutorials scattered all throughout the web. But I have found;

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro

To be useful for learning the interface and basic modeling in it.
<Kenzichu> HAHAHA!!
<Kenzichu> everyone died!
Vivaldi
Polemic Apologist

Next

Return to Visual Effects