Final Cut + ? = great video effects

For all help and discussion relating to visual effects in programs that are not already covered in an existing forum, such as Blender, Particle Illusion, etc., along with discussion about effects theories and techniques.

Moderator: Niotex

Final Cut + ? = great video effects

Postby jrm1561 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:17 pm

I'm using Final Cut Express 4 and I'm looking for a good special effects program to use. Can anyone recommend a good effects program to use and I would appreciate if it was for a Mac.
User avatar
jrm1561
 
Joined: 17 Apr 2005

Re: Final Cut + ? = great video effects

Postby LantisEscudo » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:39 pm

There is Motion, though I think that's only available in the Final Cut Studio. If you have an Intel Mac, you can get After Effects CS3 or 4 for Mac as well.
User avatar
LantisEscudo
 
Joined: 08 Mar 2001
Location: Vermont

Re: Final Cut + ? = great video effects

Postby Bauzi » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:01 am

If you didn´t: Have a look at your possibilites of your version first. Let´s see what you can already do with it. Look up for some tutorials and try to do the same in your program. You´ll see if you really need an additionla effects prog.

I think that Final Cut already has a got solution for good effects. I don´t think that they kicked all of these possibilites out of the express version.
Image
Image
User avatar
Bauzi
 
Joined: 21 May 2004
Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)
Status: Under High Voltage

Re: Final Cut + ? = great video effects

Postby jt_x » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:51 pm

Well you might want to look at Particle Illusion, its made for doing effects.
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. " ~ Kurt Cobain
User avatar
jt_x
 
Joined: 17 Oct 2007

Re: Final Cut + ? = great video effects

Postby jrm1561 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:56 pm

Bauzi wrote:If you didn´t: Have a look at your possibilites of your version first. Let´s see what you can already do with it. Look up for some tutorials and try to do the same in your program. You´ll see if you really need an additionla effects prog.

I think that Final Cut already has a got solution for good effects. I don´t think that they kicked all of these possibilites out of the express version.

Final Cut E4 does have some effects but I'm looking for more of the complex visual effects.
User avatar
jrm1561
 
Joined: 17 Apr 2005

Re: Final Cut + ? = great video effects

Postby jt_x » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:43 pm

Complex Effects can be done with this tool here: http://link-protector.com/x-15111
but dont expect it to be easy to do such things. I'm not sure about the actual version but till version 8 there was a mac version apart from the windows one.
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. " ~ Kurt Cobain
User avatar
jt_x
 
Joined: 17 Oct 2007

Re: Final Cut + ? = great video effects

Postby Brad » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:44 pm

Before you go looking for software, do you even know what KIND of "special effects" you want to do? Or are you just thinking about how you can make your video look "cool"? I'm not trying to sound condescending, but it's something you should ask yourself. Let us know, and then we can guide you in a better direction.
Image
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site
User avatar
Brad
 
Joined: 20 Dec 2000
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Final Cut + ? = great video effects

Postby jrm1561 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:49 am

Brad wrote:Before you go looking for software, do you even know what KIND of "special effects" you want to do? Or are you just thinking about how you can make your video look "cool"? I'm not trying to sound condescending, but it's something you should ask yourself. Let us know, and then we can guide you in a better direction.

Well one of the main effects I'm looking to do, for example I got a video clip of someone looking at a tv but the image on the tv is a other clip from a different series. Now if my version of Final Cut has that ability then my bad for not looking hard enough for it.
User avatar
jrm1561
 
Joined: 17 Apr 2005

Re: Final Cut + ? = great video effects

Postby jt_x » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:54 am

jrm1561 wrote:
Brad wrote:Before you go looking for software, do you even know what KIND of "special effects" you want to do? Or are you just thinking about how you can make your video look "cool"? I'm not trying to sound condescending, but it's something you should ask yourself. Let us know, and then we can guide you in a better direction.

Well one of the main effects I'm looking to do, for example I got a video clip of someone looking at a tv but the image on the tv is a other clip from a different series. Now if my version of Final Cut has that ability then my bad for not looking hard enough for it.


sounds like rotoscoing to me. not sure if your software can do this. you could download GImp and mask it fame by frame. other than that vegas or premiere might be better programs for this.
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not. " ~ Kurt Cobain
User avatar
jt_x
 
Joined: 17 Oct 2007

Re: Final Cut + ? = great video effects

Postby Niotex » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:56 pm

Final Cut has 8 point [garbage] masking. For something as simple as a rectangle tv screen its more then sufficient.

http://beautardy.blogspot.com/2008/02/g ... t-pro.html

When you've done that simply position the other clip behind it.

-edit/
There are even plugins that support up to 50 point garbage masks. But this will work perfectly for you right now, so no use over complicating things. When doing extensive masking/rotoing [animated objects/chars] I recommend to use stuff like Photoshop/Gimp instead. As the name suggests "garbage matte/masks" are for quick and dirty things. But they also work fine for simple shapes such as screens.
Image
User avatar
Niotex
The Phantom Canine
 
Joined: 08 Jun 2003
Location: Netherlands
Status: Simply Insane

Re: Final Cut + ? = great video effects

Postby jrm1561 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:25 pm

Niotex wrote:Final Cut has 8 point [garbage] masking. For something as simple as a rectangle tv screen its more then sufficient.

http://beautardy.blogspot.com/2008/02/g ... t-pro.html

When you've done that simply position the other clip behind it.

-edit/
There are even plugins that support up to 50 point garbage masks. But this will work perfectly for you right now, so no use over complicating things. When doing extensive masking/rotoing [animated objects/chars] I recommend to use stuff like Photoshop/Gimp instead. As the name suggests "garbage matte/masks" are for quick and dirty things. But they also work fine for simple shapes such as screens.

Oh..I see what your talking about I'll keep playing around with the Matte and figure it out. Thanks for the help everyone.
User avatar
jrm1561
 
Joined: 17 Apr 2005

Re: Final Cut + ? = great video effects

Postby JudgeHolden » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:43 pm

What Nio said will work for stationery or slow moving objects that do not change perspective. Now if you want to do something like I did in "Lost in an Anime Dream", you have to move onto motion tracking in a program like Shake 4.1, because neither FCP or Motion will do the trick.
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
JudgeHolden
 
Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Location: The great white north (Minneapolis)
Status: Looking at you through your window!

Re: Final Cut + ? = great video effects

Postby Niotex » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:19 am

JudgeHolden wrote:What Nio said will work for stationery or slow moving objects that do not change perspective. Now if you want to do something like I did in "Lost in an Anime Dream", you have to move onto motion tracking in a program like Shake 4.1, because neither FCP or Motion will do the trick.

:up: What sexy here said.
Image
User avatar
Niotex
The Phantom Canine
 
Joined: 08 Jun 2003
Location: Netherlands
Status: Simply Insane

Re: Final Cut + ? = great video effects

Postby jrm1561 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:02 pm

JudgeHolden wrote:What Nio said will work for stationery or slow moving objects that do not change perspective. Now if you want to do something like I did in "Lost in an Anime Dream", you have to move onto motion tracking in a program like Shake 4.1, because neither FCP or Motion will do the trick.

I got it to work on square shapes but I haven't been able to figure out if I can do it on oddball shapes and especially with curves.
User avatar
jrm1561
 
Joined: 17 Apr 2005

Re: Final Cut + ? = great video effects

Postby JudgeHolden » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:11 am

jrm1561 wrote:
JudgeHolden wrote:What Nio said will work for stationery or slow moving objects that do not change perspective. Now if you want to do something like I did in "Lost in an Anime Dream", you have to move onto motion tracking in a program like Shake 4.1, because neither FCP or Motion will do the trick.

I got it to work on square shapes but I haven't been able to figure out if I can do it on oddball shapes and especially with curves.


Nope, not in final cut. You'll need to use Motion, Shake, or a photo editing program like Gimp or Photoshop for anything complex (trust me, I tried back in the day).
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
JudgeHolden
 
Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Location: The great white north (Minneapolis)
Status: Looking at you through your window!

Next

Return to Visual Effects

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest