Black and white with red

For all help and discussion relating to visual effects in programs that are not already covered in an existing forum, such as Blender, Particle Illusion, etc., along with discussion about effects theories and techniques.

Moderator: Niotex

Black and white with red

Postby The Non-Professional » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:45 pm

Ive seen this effect used in movies and clips I've seen in various other places. You know, where its black and white, but the only color that shows through is red. I can't seem to get my mind around how this works. Is it a matter of messing with the color values?
The Non-Professional

Re: Black and white with red

Postby -Jp » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:08 pm

In Sony Vegas, go to "Color Corrector (Secondary)" and in there click the effect "Desaturate All but Reds" and drag it on to your clip. Now everything will be Black & White except reds. :)
-Jp

Postby The Non-Professional » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:14 pm

would you know if it works the same with premiere?
The Non-Professional

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:55 pm

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby Chaobunny12 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:26 am

-Jp wrote:In Sony Vegas, go to "Color Corrector (Secondary)" and in there click the effect "Desaturate All but Reds" and drag it on to your clip. Now everything will be Black & White except reds. :)

Just curious, I was playing around with that effect yesterday; is it possible to change the visible color to something besides red, or is that not within the capabilities of Vegas?
Chaobunny12

Postby Kanti13 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:26 pm

Chaobunny12 wrote:Just curious, I was playing around with that effect yesterday; is it possible to change the visible color to something besides red, or is that not within the capabilities of Vegas?

Use HSL adjust to rotate hue and change saturation if you want. It will only change the red if you have everything else desaturated.
Kanti13

Return to Visual Effects