Help with rotoscoping

Altiryoko
Org Profile

Help with rotoscoping

Post by Altiryoko » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:23 am

I get how to rotoscope and I get the pen tool but I can't figure out what parts of the clips I have to outline. In some scenes, there are faded out parts that show movement from the past frame. When I want to cut out the backgrounds, do I include those faded parts in my pen tool selection or not?

Pic shown as examples: Do I delete the parts in the circles when I want to delete backgrounds or do I have to keep them?

Krisqo
Cooking Oil
Org Profile

Post by Krisqo » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:45 am

I get them all the time. I usually just skip them and the results come out very well.

By skipping, I mean omitting that blended frame. More often then not, only the slightly opaque part is making a movement and by skipping it, you don't lose the main action. If that makes any sense at all.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:06 pm

Those blended frames are usually from either bad deinterlacing, or a bad source that's full of blends to begin with. Its not really possible to rotoscope frames like that, so yea, just skip them.

djinakatarina
Org Profile

Re: Help with rotoscoping

Post by djinakatarina » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:31 pm

hi Altiryoko.

It has passed almost three years since you posted this question and I assume that you figured out the right answer. I am having a same issue, I have to rotoscope the file which I de interlaced, but in some frames I have both fields visible and I don;t know which one to rotoscope, both, or just the one that is 100% visible. Please can you give me an answer. Thanks!!! Kat

YiuKorochko
Org Profile

Re: Help with rotoscoping

Post by YiuKorochko » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:56 am

For rotoscoping, you are much better off with the original source, meaning a BluRay copy. DVD and TV rips have frame-rates converted, thus blurring occurs. Unless strictly intended, Anime won't have blurring unless they're using life-like camera effects like focus or there's incredibly high motion.

Return to “Effects & Techniques”