Final Cut Pro Editing Tips needed...

nifear4
Org Profile

Final Cut Pro Editing Tips needed...

Post by nifear4 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:31 pm

I'm new to Final Cut Pro and everything, but not new to importing/exporting/etc.

I'm new to AMV's. Usually I make videos with my cam-recorders for school and everything like school projects, so AMV's are a whole new thing with the music/video syncing.

To those that use Final Cut Pro, what are some video-editing tips and tricks that anyone can explain.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:43 pm

I think this would be better suited for "Other Editing Systems" than "Special Effects" as you are looking for tips on a program and not asking about a specific effect.

I suppose however a mod may or may not move it.

nifear4
Org Profile

Post by nifear4 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:21 pm

Well there is a certain effect, sort of. Its like overlapping instead of Cross Dissolving. Cross dissolving is nice, but I like overlapping, like in iMovie you can do "overlay" which will overlay the previous clip with the next clip, which I find fun to use at a certain point in a amv.

sorry i should've mentioned this before.

Also, is it wise to get Motion for mac? will it be good for a AMV?

Niotex
The Phantom Canine
Org Profile

Post by Niotex » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:37 pm

If you don't know how to make something semi transparent in FCP then don't even bother trying Motion.. It will destroy you from the inside out.

nifear4
Org Profile

Post by nifear4 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:43 pm

Well I know how to make something transparent, just wondering if there was an effect that I can just apply instead of going into the movie and changing the opacity.

And I was wondering about Motion, because my friend just came by with Motion and I was wondering if I should install, but it takes quite a lot of space :D

Niotex
The Phantom Canine
Org Profile

Post by Niotex » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:45 pm

If your not doing compositing then don't bother with motion.

nifear4
Org Profile

Post by nifear4 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:21 pm

So there is no way huh, bummer, oh well... compositing is fun in its own way, gives you more freedom to do what you want with the video.

Anyways, haha my friend got my Motion 3, might as well install. Mess around with it, Making 2D to 3D is so fun, and sort of trippy when your up late studying for Biology.

But thanks

JudgeHolden
Org Profile

Post by JudgeHolden » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:57 pm

Nio has said it all .... and imagine what happens to your soul if you use shake. As for overlays, yes changing the opacity is how you do it.

nifear4
Org Profile

Post by nifear4 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:12 pm

Thanks.

Also I have another question, is there a way to like outline a specific character and make them play in front of a background that you created yourself?

I've seen this in many videos, but I don't know what its called. Its like making every transparent while you make just the character visible, then you can make them appear in front of a background, I dunno maybe I'm just using Photoshop too much haha.

Anyways thanks.

Niotex
The Phantom Canine
Org Profile

Post by Niotex » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:22 pm

Masking, FCP has some simple 8 point masking systems but they will not do the job. You'll have to cut out the chars frame by frame in photoshop in your case. And then import and overlay them upon your other video that your using as background.

Return to “Effects & Techniques”