Chroma Keying

Altrouge
Hero of Time
Org Profile

Chroma Keying

Post by Altrouge » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:45 pm

I've been playing around with this for a bit, but in all the tutorials and guides I've read, this only reasonably works with a solid colored background. How are you supposed to do this with anime? Or are you supposed to mask it first and then use the chroma key?

Sorry, I've never used this before, so forgive me for my cluelessness...XD

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:00 pm

Yea, it can be pretty useful in conjunction with masks. It can become really complex though, when you are trying to combine 5-10 masks with various chroma keys :p

It's often a good alternative to straight-up rotoscoping though, and can save you considerable time.

xPiikanyaa
Phail Whale
Org Profile

Re: Chroma Keying

Post by xPiikanyaa » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:17 pm

Yes, chroma keying only really works if the background is all one colour, or two similar ones. Masking will probably give you better results, but it's harder to do and takes longer.

Kaream
Org Profile

Re: Chroma Keying

Post by Kaream » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:38 am

Altrouge wrote:I've been playing around with this for a bit, but in all the tutorials and guides I've read, this only reasonably works with a solid colored background. How are you supposed to do this with anime? Or are you supposed to mask it first and then use the chroma key?

Sorry, I've never used this before, so forgive me for my cluelessness...XD
The reason they say the color green is because that is the furthest color that resembles to human skin color.. But that's not talking about anime..
I've used chroma keyer countless times that made people think motion masked.. Just be patient with it.... I usually use around 3-4 chroma keyers.. But that's depending on how the footage looks.. and it's always a good think to just simply mask the background (not the character) just to avoid as much as distraction possible..

Return to “Effects & Techniques”