Text Mosaic

For all help and discussion relating to visual effects in programs that are not already covered in an existing forum, such as Blender, Particle Illusion, etc., along with discussion about effects theories and techniques.

Moderator: Niotex

Text Mosaic

Postby floatuponourtears » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:08 pm

I'm trying to do this text mosaic effect, like there are lots of letters randomized all over the screen, then the camera kinda zoom out to reveal it's actually a picture or something made out of letters.
sorry if i'm not clear enough.

I tried filling the screen with letters, then using track matte and Per-Character 3D to create the effect, but the render times were just impossible to work with.

does anyone have any idea how to do this one?

Thanks a lot.
floatuponourtears

Postby Zarxrax » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:58 pm

Maybe this would help? http://www.digitalanarchy.com/text/text_main.html
The way you said you did it sounds reasonable to me. Can't really think of any other method off the top of my head.
Zarxrax

Postby floatuponourtears » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:27 pm

yea, It did sound great in my head, but the render times ARE REALLY impossible to work with, it's like 20 minutes of processing everytime I move the CTI.

anyway, this plug-in isn't exactly what I meant, but I think it can come in handy.
thanks.
floatuponourtears

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:44 pm

Reduce the video quality settings while you're playing with it ad you'll probably have a better time handling the insanity. Also, system specs?
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2014 & Head of the AAC Fan-works Theater - follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/AACFanTheater
:sorcerer: :sorcerer: |RD: "Oh, Action!" (side-by-side) | |
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby floatuponourtears » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:06 pm

I tried lowering the settings, but the insanity stays put.

I also tried Text Spiral plug-in, and AE actually seems to handle it much better than its own text editor (beats me) - anyway, it's kinda bareable now, even though the controls are kinda awkward.

my specs are:
2GB RAM
Geforce 8800GTX
and a Intel C2D 6300

no editing card, but I think these specs should handle AE, though.

thanks a bunch.
floatuponourtears

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:23 pm

AE seems to do way too much when it comes to preview - I tend to set the quality to something low when i'm working with projects that have a lot going on.
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2014 & Head of the AAC Fan-works Theater - follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/AACFanTheater
:sorcerer: :sorcerer: |RD: "Oh, Action!" (side-by-side) | |
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?

Thanks.

Postby floatuponourtears » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:57 am

Problem solved, I've finally done it. thank you both very much.
floatuponourtears

Return to Visual Effects