Manga or Comic Book Effect

MadScientist
Org Profile

Manga or Comic Book Effect

Post by MadScientist » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:15 pm

When doing a manga effect in an AMV, do you think I should stay true to the Right-to-left, or go with the Left-to-right?
I'm curious to see what you guys think as I am working on a concept video right now that incorporates such an effect.

VRSaskayzx
Org Profile

Post by VRSaskayzx » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:47 pm

In my opinion, You Should Stay True to the right to left, Because thats the way manga is meant to be Read.

In the other hand, you should use what you feel more comfortable as long as it looks well done. ^^

NS
I like pants
Org Profile

Post by NS » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:20 pm

Left to right is what you should do. People are more used to reading left to right (in most cases) and it'll make your video easier to understand and follow because.. well, yah.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:48 pm

R->L. It'll heighten the experience. Are you utilizing camera motion effects, or moving images around? (just curious)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:28 am

NerdStrudel wrote:Left to right is what you should do. People are more used to reading left to right (in most cases) and it'll make your video easier to understand and follow because.. well, yah.
Eh...I tend to think R->L would be better, since that's how manga's read. As long as the information presented on the screen is presented in the correct order, what difference does the direction in which it appears make?

Falconone
get the Punch
Org Profile

Post by Falconone » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:36 am

i think also R->L is better. Anime is from japan and in japan you read R->L and also in Manga, why not in the video?

MadScientist
Org Profile

Post by MadScientist » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:53 am

BasharOfTheAges wrote:R->L. It'll heighten the experience. Are you utilizing camera motion effects, or moving images around? (just curious)
Both. But the beginning starts by drawing in the panes as if on the page of the manga. So it starts out simple but I plan on using camera motion to also enhance the effect more as it progresses.
CrackTheSky wrote:Eh...I tend to think R->L would be better, since that's how manga's read. As long as the information presented on the screen is presented in the correct order, what difference does the direction in which it appears make?
The source images are from direct scans of the manga, so to me it would make sense to do it in the R>L form, but with the use of effects and text appearing word by word at points to progress the story (since english is printed L>R) it seems to give the video a better flow (everything is "moving" in the same direction). I really want to stay true to the manga, but it just seems to flow better the other way. The video is actually going to be based on a manga, and takes its premise from an actual chapter. I will be incorporating my own animation of the characters in conjunction with the still frames and "comic style" flow. So I have a big internal conflict right now on what I should do. The otaku inside says "manga" while the budding editor says "comic book." Only a short portion is done, so it wouldn't be too much trouble to switch things around.
NerdStrudel wrote:Left to right is what you should do. People are more used to reading left to right (in most cases) and it'll make your video easier to understand and follow because.. well, yah.
I actually agree with your statement, but the only people who will probably see and possibly appreciate this video will be people familiar with this manga and manga in general, so I don't see that as an issue with the intended audience. Especially since most of the intended audience probably reads more manga than comic books. Also the movement of the panes and camera, and the order in which they are drawn or appear on screen can clearly direct and designate the flow and direction.

I'm still so conflicted :?

DayWalker B.
Org Profile

Post by DayWalker B. » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:09 pm

You could do a mixture of R->L and L->R as well... :lol:

MadScientist
Org Profile

Post by MadScientist » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:36 pm

gokussj4527 wrote:You could do a mixture of R->L and L->R as well... :lol:
:lol: then part of the fun could be trying to figure out what is going on

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:41 pm

i would say it depends on how you pan the video

you can make words appear left to right while the camera pans right to left it might be interesting

Return to “Effects & Techniques”