Manga or Comic Book Effect

For all help and discussion relating to visual effects in programs that are not already covered in an existing forum, such as Blender, Particle Illusion, etc., along with discussion about effects theories and techniques.

Moderator: Niotex

Manga or Comic Book Effect

Postby MadScientist » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:15 pm

When doing a manga effect in an AMV, do you think I should stay true to the Right-to-left, or go with the Left-to-right?
I'm curious to see what you guys think as I am working on a concept video right now that incorporates such an effect.
aka Madscientist
MadScientist

Postby VRSaskayzx » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:47 pm

In my opinion, You Should Stay True to the right to left, Because thats the way manga is meant to be Read.

In the other hand, you should use what you feel more comfortable as long as it looks well done. ^^
VRSaskayzx

Postby NS » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:20 pm

Left to right is what you should do. People are more used to reading left to right (in most cases) and it'll make your video easier to understand and follow because.. well, yah.
ImageImage
NS
I like pants

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:48 pm

R->L. It'll heighten the experience. Are you utilizing camera motion effects, or moving images around? (just curious)
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby CrackTheSky » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:28 am

NerdStrudel wrote:Left to right is what you should do. People are more used to reading left to right (in most cases) and it'll make your video easier to understand and follow because.. well, yah.

Eh...I tend to think R->L would be better, since that's how manga's read. As long as the information presented on the screen is presented in the correct order, what difference does the direction in which it appears make?
CrackTheSky
Fancy Balls

Postby Falconone » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:36 am

i think also R->L is better. Anime is from japan and in japan you read R->L and also in Manga, why not in the video?
Falconone
get the Punch

Postby MadScientist » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:53 am

BasharOfTheAges wrote:R->L. It'll heighten the experience. Are you utilizing camera motion effects, or moving images around? (just curious)

Both. But the beginning starts by drawing in the panes as if on the page of the manga. So it starts out simple but I plan on using camera motion to also enhance the effect more as it progresses.

CrackTheSky wrote:Eh...I tend to think R->L would be better, since that's how manga's read. As long as the information presented on the screen is presented in the correct order, what difference does the direction in which it appears make?

The source images are from direct scans of the manga, so to me it would make sense to do it in the R>L form, but with the use of effects and text appearing word by word at points to progress the story (since english is printed L>R) it seems to give the video a better flow (everything is "moving" in the same direction). I really want to stay true to the manga, but it just seems to flow better the other way. The video is actually going to be based on a manga, and takes its premise from an actual chapter. I will be incorporating my own animation of the characters in conjunction with the still frames and "comic style" flow. So I have a big internal conflict right now on what I should do. The otaku inside says "manga" while the budding editor says "comic book." Only a short portion is done, so it wouldn't be too much trouble to switch things around.

NerdStrudel wrote:Left to right is what you should do. People are more used to reading left to right (in most cases) and it'll make your video easier to understand and follow because.. well, yah.

I actually agree with your statement, but the only people who will probably see and possibly appreciate this video will be people familiar with this manga and manga in general, so I don't see that as an issue with the intended audience. Especially since most of the intended audience probably reads more manga than comic books. Also the movement of the panes and camera, and the order in which they are drawn or appear on screen can clearly direct and designate the flow and direction.

I'm still so conflicted :?
aka Madscientist
MadScientist

Postby DayWalker B. » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:09 pm

You could do a mixture of R->L and L->R as well... :lol:
DayWalker B.

Postby MadScientist » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:36 pm

gokussj4527 wrote:You could do a mixture of R->L and L->R as well... :lol:

:lol: then part of the fun could be trying to figure out what is going on
aka Madscientist
MadScientist

Postby JaddziaDax » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:41 pm

i would say it depends on how you pan the video

you can make words appear left to right while the camera pans right to left it might be interesting
JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!

Postby nekoinabox » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:40 pm

Tough call. Now I read manga right to left, but I watch video left to right. I don't know if you'd want the visual tension reading flow vs camera flow would produce. I think you should use the one that tells the story better, and not worry about "how it should be".

Since you have total control of the frame, why limit yourself to left or right? Seize the vertical space too :wink:
nekoinabox

Postby Kristyrat » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:19 am

A lot depends on what kind of mood you're going for. If it's something more jarring and shocking, a R->L will achieve that effect, because it's against what people are typically used to doing when reading a story (or a situation in life, typically we always pan L->R). If you want it to seem more smooth and 'normal' then you should go with a L-R.

It would be pretty cool to see a mix between the two though, getting a good play between the different effects you'd achieve with either pan.

Good luck :up:
Kristyrat
Time-traveling penguin

Postby MadScientist » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:32 am

nekoinabox wrote:Since you have total control of the frame, why limit yourself to left or right? Seize the vertical space too :wink:

Yeah the overall concept involves some vertical panning too when moving "down the page," so I don't plan on limiting myself to a horizontal flow only.

Kristyrat wrote:If you want it to seem more smooth and 'normal' then you should go with a L-R.

It would be pretty cool to see a mix between the two though, getting a good play between the different effects you'd achieve with either pan.

The more I think about it, I think the overall flow and mood of the video would work better with a L>R flow, but I have some ideas on how I could switch it up at certain points. Unfortunately I probably wont have much time to really work on this until after Christmas because of some live action stuff I will be helping someone with. Which really sucks because right now I am brimming with ideas for this video and I really want to work on it right now. :cry:
aka Madscientist
MadScientist

Postby lister007 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:42 pm

Manga is always read right to left.

however,

You should always decide what looks best for the overall composition. If you watch some trailers for films they may completely flip an image so it look right in the trailer, however, it will be fliped the other way for the film because that is what looks the best. An example would be here, watch how bruce willis' scar changes position between the two trailers.
Spatchcock..........A dressed and split chicken for roasting or grilling on a spit.
Bring it
Berserk or crazy...??? (image shack sucks will have a banner for this too when it doesn't!)
lister007

Postby RosenRed » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:18 am

It really depends on your target group if you ask me...

Most people will find it easier to understand, and grasp the consept of it, if you present it L->R, since this is how they are used to reading. A hard core manga fan on the other side might be a bit displeased, since he/she believes that manga should be read R->L (although when manga were first published in US they would always flip them :lol: )

If what you have in mind is something as close to manga as possible, I'd say go for tradition. If you only want to give the book-feeling do what would be easier for most people.

Anyway, I think you had a very good idea, and in the end it will make no big difference, since originality will overcome such a detail 8-)
<a>Deep Into The Rabbit Hole...</a>
RosenRed

Next

Return to Visual Effects