3D effect...

For all help and discussion relating to visual effects in programs that are not already covered in an existing forum, such as Blender, Particle Illusion, etc., along with discussion about effects theories and techniques.

Moderator: Niotex

3D effect...

Postby gameboy12615 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:08 pm

athough I'm using AE now,but it really hard to make complex 3D effects...
I wonder MAYA and 3DMAX which would be better...seems the camera track of MAYA can be took into AE...and how a bout 3DMAX?
(I'm sorry if I wrote strange english...)
gameboy12615

Postby Zarxrax » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:17 pm

Yes, AE is not really designed for 3d work, it simply has some very basic 3d abilities. For anything beyond that, you definitely want to try an actual 3d app.
Zarxrax

Postby gameboy12615 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:04 am

thanks for your reply...but,Is 3D APP better than MAYA and 3DMAX.seems that's an animation-design program...I just want to create some 3D model and put in AE...
gameboy12615

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:23 am

gameboy12615 wrote:thanks for your reply...but,Is 3D APP better than MAYA and 3DMAX.seems that's an animation-design program...I just want to create some 3D model and put in AE...

He's not talking about a program called 3dApp... he's saying "a 3d application" - the ones you mentioned (Maya and 3d studio max) are examples of 3d applications.
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby gameboy12615 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:26 am

BasharOfTheAges wrote:He's not talking about a program called 3dApp... he's saying "a 3d application" - the ones you mentioned (Maya and 3d studio max) are examples of 3d applications.

my god...but I really found a program called "3D APP"... :?
anyway,thanks...I think I need to find some introduction about MAYA and 3DMAX and compare them by myself...
gameboy12615

Postby requiett » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:44 am

Don't listen to these guys. They just don't want you finding out about the most advanced 3D software ever created: ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS. You ever heard of a little thing called "The Matrix?" I made that. Completely in After Effects. The Wachowski Bros.? Total pretense. They don't exist. It's all right here, baby. Spread the wealth and spread the love! After Effects roxx! 8-)
requiett

Postby Pas » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:47 am

requiett wrote:You ever heard of a little thing called "The Matrix?" I made that. Completely in After Effects.

Man, no wonder that film sucked so much arse :P

I personally like 3ds Max over Maya, but I hear Maya is more commonly used in the animation industry, whereas 3ds Max is more used for 3d Modeling.
Pas
のヮの

Postby Bauzi » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:30 am

I´ve seen two years ago 3DMax in action. A friend of mine showed me some stuff. It´s really impressive how he dealed with simulated physics or an awesome plugIn for fire fx. It looked awesome. I really don´t know if you can really need it for amvs.
Bauzi

Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)

Postby OropherZero » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:13 am

3D Studio Max and Maya are practically the same, just with different interfaces, you'll find that learning one will help you be familiar with the other, this is from experience using both of them. You'll also find that when searching for a job, descriptions will say 'knowledge of' either one of them.
OropherZero

Postby Serv0 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:34 pm

gameboy12615, you also might want to look at XSI. It's often used for video game modding, but you can also use it for movies.

XSI Mod Tool

The mod tool is free and simple to use.
Serv0

Postby nekoinabox » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:28 pm

AE unfortunately doesn't support actual 3d models, though it does have a 3d mode. It depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

Think of a 3d render just as another footage sample. If you want to composite a 3d animation from MAYA or MAX onto footage, then it's up to you to synch the cameras and key out the bg.

It's possible to create large 3d environments in AE, though you're not going to get much realism - it's a lot better suited for a stylized feel. I've used it to make pop-up book and comic style animations. I've also used it to make a car "drive" down a road into the distance, since it's harder to get the quadratic just right with keyframes and curves.

Sorry, I know this probably wasn't much help. Maybe I could help more if you'd tell exactly what you're trying to do.

edit: Actually, Autodesk does sell a video editing software called Combustion. I've heard it's less functional than AE, but probably not enough to affect an AMV. If it can use the MAYA or MAX render engine you might be able to actually import your 3d model in.
nekoinabox

Postby lister007 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:54 pm

I know its not the most popular choice, and to be honest there are better programs, but I use Maxon Cinema 4d, you can import almost every aspect of your composition into after effects. It is I think a pretty hard program to use. People complain it is not intuitive and is slow, but I think its great. Also, check [url=http://www.maxoncomputer.com/ads/aftereffects/advertisement.asp?cid=62]here
[/url]
You could also consider zaxwerks if you would prefer to stay within after effects.
Spatchcock..........A dressed and split chicken for roasting or grilling on a spit.
Bring it
Berserk or crazy...??? (image shack sucks will have a banner for this too when it doesn't!)
lister007

Postby CrackTheSky » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:22 pm

/plugs Blender, which will cost you nothing to legally download
CrackTheSky
Fancy Balls

Return to Visual Effects