Ways to do eye glow type effects.

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Ways to do eye glow type effects.

Post by Shin-AMV » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:22 am

I'm trying to figure out a good way to enhance eye color or do a kind of eye glow effect. I've tried several methods already and trying to compare which would work best for my current project. Vegas or After Effects methods welcome.

Niotex
The Phantom Canine
Org Profile

Re: Ways to do eye glow type effects.

Post by Niotex » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:39 am

If you could give a more specific example as what you're describing is rather broad. I'll look into it whenever I wake up.

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:48 pm

At the top of my head something like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lDQfrX6ZT4&t=01m52s

I can get the eyes isolated easy enough and change color and what not, the real issue I'm having is getting it to look nice and glassy/glowy.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:43 pm

A standard glow effect should be able to do the trick, really. Duplicate the layer, mask the eyes, apply some blur, set layer to add or overlay or whatever works best. Works both in vegas and afx, as well as premiere and, hell, even avisynth.

Eake4
Australian Zeus
Org Profile

Post by Eake4 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:21 am

Duplicate the layer of the source, change the transfer mode to add, add colour correction and do a rough mask of the eyes then feather it out a bit, you may also want to add a small glow. That is my solution for the AE method.

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:16 pm

Echoing what's been suggested so far. Assuming you've already got a good track for the eyes (you... ARE using tracking right?) and a roto in place, I'd start playing around with Sapphire Glow and Glint. The Sapphire suite doesn't get enough credit. If you move past the default settings you can really get some unique and lovely looking images.

Another idea to go along with Eake's suggestion of layering the image is maybe try offsetting the time by a frame or 2 to help with a cool trail effect. But yeah, even without Sapphire, duplicate, Add, levels, hue/sat, etc.
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

Return to “Effects & Techniques”