how to create flow to an amv?

v3g3tunks
Org Profile

how to create flow to an amv?

Post by v3g3tunks » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:39 pm

hi guys i am new on this forum , i just want to know how to make a good flow of an amv , i've seen toons of amv's and i wanna know how to make it good from 0 to the end.Example from start how to keep the flow cool.So please help me and the rest of the people who wanna learn about it^^.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Re: how to create flow to an amv?

Post by Zarxrax » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:37 pm

I think a big part of it is just using clips that have lots of motion in them. Boring static clips can kill the flow.
But I suck at flow, so you should listen to others.

Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid
Org Profile

Post by Enigma » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:00 pm

Zarxrax wrote:I think a big part of it is just using clips that have lots of motion in them.
That works pretty well, you silly goose :P. Having a decent pacing on how the footage goes and blends also is a good idea.

slampa
Org Profile

Post by slampa » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:00 pm

Nice ,I use to just throw clips together :)

v3g3tunks
Org Profile

Post by v3g3tunks » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:36 pm

can u guys show me how to make a flow ?

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:47 pm

Just watch good amvs and look how they do it?

Nicho Void
Org Profile

Post by Nicho Void » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:22 pm

Zarxrax wrote:Just watch good amvs and look how they do it?
Stressing this. I'm working on an "action" AMV, so I've been watching a ton of highly rated/liked action AMVs. I try to pay attention to things like individual clip duration as it relates to the tempo of the music, transitions, and simple effects that make an otherwise unremarkable (but important) scene fit with the flow.

There are tons of great examples on the site. Watch a bunch and latch on to a style you like. Emulate, give it your own twist, and see what happens.
ImageImageImage

xAMVLoverx
Org Profile

Post by xAMVLoverx » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:01 am

NS
I like pants
Org Profile

Post by NS » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:37 pm

There are several ways that I have noticed you can keep flow:

Motion - This doesn't neccesarily mean that there needs to be movement in every single clip, but for the most part, look for motion. And this doesn't mean that if it's moving it's right, please understand that. Look for keeping motion consistent. I find myself many times just simply flipping a clip horizontally so that the character will be moving to the right instead of left, because there was a movement to the right in the clip before it.

Pace - This one is probably one of the easiest to get down, and people will do it without even really thinking about it, but pace is extremely important. Unless you are trying to go for a certain jarring feeling or something, you're going to want to keep the pace with the music. If it's fast, show fast. If it's slow, show slow. In my opinion a song with a great buildup and then breakdown or impact is fucking awesome, and if you can show the video putting out the same feeling, of build up, and all this tension and stuff, followed by this badass breakdown.. ohhhhh yahhhh :D

Lyrics - Honestly IMO; Either ignore them or embrace them consistently. This isn't as huge of a factor, but it definately can help keep your flow. As a viewer I hate when a video will be like heavy lyric sync, and then will kinda just start ignoring the lyrics. If you're going to match lyrics, try and match them a consistent amount throughout the whole vid. Consistency is good.

That's all I can think of for now, I'll add on to this list if I think of more, but these are the basics I think.

ExSphere
Org Profile

Post by ExSphere » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:30 pm

Watch any nostromo video :wink:

Return to “Effects & Techniques”