how to create flow to an amv?

For all help and discussion relating to visual effects in programs that are not already covered in an existing forum, such as Blender, Particle Illusion, etc., along with discussion about effects theories and techniques.

Moderator: Niotex

how to create flow to an amv?

Postby v3g3tunks » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:39 pm

hi guys i am new on this forum , i just want to know how to make a good flow of an amv , i've seen toons of amv's and i wanna know how to make it good from 0 to the end.Example from start how to keep the flow cool.So please help me and the rest of the people who wanna learn about it^^.
v3g3tunks

Re: how to create flow to an amv?

Postby Zarxrax » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:37 pm

I think a big part of it is just using clips that have lots of motion in them. Boring static clips can kill the flow.
But I suck at flow, so you should listen to others.
Zarxrax

Postby Enigma » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:00 pm

Zarxrax wrote:I think a big part of it is just using clips that have lots of motion in them.

That works pretty well, you silly goose :P. Having a decent pacing on how the footage goes and blends also is a good idea.
Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid

Postby slampa » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:00 pm

Nice ,I use to just throw clips together :)
slampa

Postby v3g3tunks » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:36 pm

can u guys show me how to make a flow ?
v3g3tunks

Postby Zarxrax » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:47 pm

Just watch good amvs and look how they do it?
Zarxrax

Postby Nicho Void » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:22 pm

Zarxrax wrote:Just watch good amvs and look how they do it?

Stressing this. I'm working on an "action" AMV, so I've been watching a ton of highly rated/liked action AMVs. I try to pay attention to things like individual clip duration as it relates to the tempo of the music, transitions, and simple effects that make an otherwise unremarkable (but important) scene fit with the flow.

There are tons of great examples on the site. Watch a bunch and latch on to a style you like. Emulate, give it your own twist, and see what happens.
ImageImageImage
Nicho Void

Postby xAMVLoverx » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:01 am

xAMVLoverx

Postby NS » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:37 pm

There are several ways that I have noticed you can keep flow:

Motion - This doesn't neccesarily mean that there needs to be movement in every single clip, but for the most part, look for motion. And this doesn't mean that if it's moving it's right, please understand that. Look for keeping motion consistent. I find myself many times just simply flipping a clip horizontally so that the character will be moving to the right instead of left, because there was a movement to the right in the clip before it.

Pace - This one is probably one of the easiest to get down, and people will do it without even really thinking about it, but pace is extremely important. Unless you are trying to go for a certain jarring feeling or something, you're going to want to keep the pace with the music. If it's fast, show fast. If it's slow, show slow. In my opinion a song with a great buildup and then breakdown or impact is fucking awesome, and if you can show the video putting out the same feeling, of build up, and all this tension and stuff, followed by this badass breakdown.. ohhhhh yahhhh :D

Lyrics - Honestly IMO; Either ignore them or embrace them consistently. This isn't as huge of a factor, but it definately can help keep your flow. As a viewer I hate when a video will be like heavy lyric sync, and then will kinda just start ignoring the lyrics. If you're going to match lyrics, try and match them a consistent amount throughout the whole vid. Consistency is good.

That's all I can think of for now, I'll add on to this list if I think of more, but these are the basics I think.
ImageImage
NS
I like pants

Postby ExSphere » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:30 pm

Watch any nostromo video :wink:
ExSphere

Postby Bauzi » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:18 am

I think it's something you have to figure out with experience and practice.
Bauzi

Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)

Postby Castor Troy » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:39 am

Just follow your heart. <3
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone
Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E

Postby Sakuraharuno377 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:26 pm

Using clips with a lot of motion (nothing boring and motionless)
And fitting them in with the lyrics :D
Sakuraharuno377

Postby post-it » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:02 pm

its as simple as a hand reaching-out to find something and the "flow" is where the
hand is going. ( your eyes are following the movement )

Think of a glass filled with water. Spill that glass to one direction. what people
will follow is where the water is going; not the glass itself being tipped-over 8-)

Think of "flow" as the movement that you would expect things to happen
when an event is taking place. If it can happen in real life, you can grasp-it in an AMV.

. . Water will "not" blow-up if "the glass tips-over" ( this is unexpected! ) [ however, you can have fun with that concept. ]
Water will fall and spill in a pre-set fashion when the glass is spilled
( real life has proven that to us and we expect to see that happen that way. )

if it looks natural, people will accept it as being natural. :up:
post-it

Postby NS » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:14 pm

Sakuraharuno377 wrote:Using clips with a lot of motion (nothing boring and motionless)
And fitting them in with the lyrics :D

Keep in mind though, you can often use static clips or even boring clips to create the flow you want to create. It all depends on the mood you're trying to convey.

It's weird, when I talk about editing is always gets me excited to edit...but it seems to happen a lot when I'm away from home.
ImageImage
NS
I like pants

Next

Return to Visual Effects