Who Watched The Watchmen?

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Yok/0
do not feed
Org Profile

Re: Who Watched The Watchmen?

Post by Yok/0 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:46 am

godix wrote:Ozymandias just looks like a faggot (like Nite Owl, that actually isn't all that inappropriate).
Rorschach: "Meeting with Veidt left bad taste in mouth. He is pampered and decadent, betraying even his own shallow, liberal affectations. Possibly homosexual? Must remember to investigate further."

Isn't he British? From another clip I saw of him it sounded like he was struggling with an accent.

Nite Owl looks like a Batman wannabe (although that actually isn't all that inappropriate but still doesn't come off well).
Did you also note the Bat Nipples?
Comedian looks like a pussy.
Really? I thought he looked more like Robert Downey Jr.?
Spoiler :
Even though I'm expecting you to say, he looks gay too.

Either way I'm expecting the dvd release to be more satisfying than theatrical release, with added content and all.

Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Post by Kalium » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:14 pm

I saw it. It was completely worth going to the 12:01 showing.

Tsunami Jones
is the best medicine.
Org Profile

Post by Tsunami Jones » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:24 pm

Saw it last night. Was meh. Best part were the opening + credits. I was completely fine with the "big" change to the end of the movie, but all of the minor changes around it? Pretty unecessary. Also, the pacing of the movie was fucked. They spent way too much time on the first half, and not enough of the second half, which screwed over Veidt's character (taking out his backstory made him a much weaker character). When you have issues of a comic book, you can have each issue have a climax while still building to the climax of the entire story. This, however, does not work when you try to have a dozen mini-climaxes in a film.

Also, one part in which I hated in the graphic novel, they made even WORSE (which is when Niteowl figures out a certain someone's incredibly easy password; instead of making hte scene a bit smarter, they instead made it dumber by having it be the title of a book on the shelf. The hell).

At the very least, I was entertained enough. I did not feel like I had wasted my money or my three hours watching the film.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:29 pm

Tsunami Jones wrote: Also, one part in which I hated in the graphic novel, they made even WORSE (which is when Niteowl figures out a certain someone's incredibly easy password; instead of making hte scene a bit smarter, they instead made it dumber by having it be the title of a book on the shelf. The hell).
/facepalm

Seriously? That was one of just a few things I didn't like about the book and that I wish was done differently. How could they possibly make that even dumber? :|
Not a big deal, but one of those things that takes away some of the immersion in the realism of it all. Kinda like that thing at the end which godix mentioned as well.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Tsunami Jones
is the best medicine.
Org Profile

Post by Tsunami Jones » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:36 pm

Otohiko wrote:Seriously? That was one of just a few things I didn't like about the book and that I wish was done differently. How could they possibly make that even dumber? :|
Yeah, they not only make Ozymandias look like an idiot, but now Niteowl as well :\

Ghet
Org Profile

Post by Ghet » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:00 pm

dr. Manhattan's penis made me lol

Tsunami Jones
is the best medicine.
Org Profile

Post by Tsunami Jones » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:28 pm

This by the way is fantastic if you haven't seen it yet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:41 pm

Sukunai
Org Profile

Post by Sukunai » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:41 pm

Something about looking at a blue pecker the whole film likely will be enough to convince me to download it later if I absolutely must.

If it dies at the box office I will just got with my friends review and assume it didn't live up to the promise.

It appears the film has little value to non Watchmen fans though.
Anime, one of the few things about the internet that doesn't make me hate the internet.

CorpseGoddess
Org Profile

Post by CorpseGoddess » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:32 am

Hubby and I saw it on Friday night and we both loved it. I'm a fan of the graphic novel (from back when it was just comic books) and I thought Snyder did an excellent job of translating it to the screen. The visuals and atmosphere were perfect and the whole thing captured the nihilistic and gritty feel of the story.

They'll never be nominated, but Jackie Earle Haley and Billy Crudup deserve Oscars for their performances (Rorschach and Dr. Manhattan). They took the two most inscrutable characters and managed to imbue them with humanity and emotion. Rorschach was both a psychotic and sympathetic character---Haley's acting and facial expressions at the very end were heartbreaking. And Crudup managed to convey both Dr. Manhattan's isolation from humanity as well as his deeply-buried affection for it.

Nitpicky fanbois will probably piss and moan on the finer details, but on the whole, I think the "unfilmable" graphic novel was filmed amazingly well.

Great job on the song choices as well---very appropos.

By far the best review I've read of the film is by Kurt Loder, elder statesman of MTV:

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles ... tory.jhtml

Return to “General Discussion”