Payment methods in the US

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Douggie
CHEESECAKE!
Org Profile

Payment methods in the US

Post by Douggie » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:38 am

Because I live in Europe, credit cards aren't used very much. My bank kinda screwed up my request for a credit card, so there's this possibility I might not get my credit card on time.

Now, the question is, how widely are other payment methods accepted in the US? Can you pay with cash everywhere - even when they're larger amounts like $400? And debit cards like Meastro or Cirrus, are they usable everywhere?

Also, I might be able to borrow my sister's credit card, but how usable is this? Are they asking for ID/signature everywhere or is it mostly allowed to use someone else's credit card?

Thanks!

Koopiskeva
|:
Location: Out There Occupation: Fondling Private Areas ..of the Nation.
Org Profile

Post by Koopiskeva » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:29 am

Cash works best, especially at a con. Just make sure to get smaller bills, and don't lose it. |:

Debit cards will work at ATMs as well, and you could probably get away with using someone else's credit card as long as you have the same last name.
Hi.

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:39 am

Most stores will accept debit cards but some will treat them as credit cards and require a signature and possibly an I.D. Some stores may allow you to use your sister's credit card if you can prove that you have permission, but most, especially if the amount is over a certain level, will require the card to be in your name and ask for a signature and I.D. Nearly every place will accept cash*, as long as it's real US currency. :P

* I've heard of some stores that won't accept cash because of the need for them to deposit it at a bank regularly or store it in a safe until the armored car picks it up and that increases the possibility of someone trying to steal it. Personally, I've never encountered a store like that.
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

Sukunai
Org Profile

Post by Sukunai » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:53 am

There's more ways to pay than I think necessary.

Paypal is popular, and you can do nearly anything with online banking.

Websites that don't accept credit cards usually attract a lot of bitching and complaining.

I regularly see people in grocery stores paying with plastic for a meaningless purchase and asking for a cash back option so that not only did they get the groceries, but the cashier hands the customer money instead :)

And the plastic debt load in North America means a lot of companies make a lot of money off of stupid as sin people spending money that never existed expecting to pay it off with an income not suited for that task.

I consider having 100 bucks balance on my credit card too much. Most people though seem to have little trouble with several cards holding large percentages of maximum balance available. It's crazy.

If you can't save the same amount of money in a month or two and just pay for it in cash, then the truth is, you never had the ability to buy the item in the first place.

I only needed my credit card originally for identification. I don't drive, never have and have no license.
I only use my credit card to buy online. I use cash if I am buying something in person.
Getting an item "on sale" accomplishes nothing, if thanks to interest payments, you end up spending more than full price eh.

I've never used a debit card. Likely would be better than a credit card for me though.
I avoid atms, as they create a fee that I'd rather avoid. My one card charges 7 bucks per atm usage. You don't get the great interest rates for free.

I used to buy through postal money orders when I had to pay for things like book club purchases. But those things are also expensive too. Still it is good to have a tracable proof you paid.

A great deal of vendors shops and services can handle credit cards, but you need to have cash for places like conventions. Venders can't be expected to be able to process credit card transactions in those conditions. I know I wouldn't.

I've yet to ever use a credit card, and not need to go through a rigid verification process. And yet you still hear horror stories about screw ups and personal information being lost.
I'm loathe to use a credit card in transactions in face to face retail. Most people likely think credit card fraud happens mainly online. They'd be wrong.

The credit card operations in Canada at least will accept damn near anyone it seems. It's an odd month when I don't get offers mailed to me.

Copycat_Revolver
Mad Scientist
Org Profile

Post by Copycat_Revolver » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:17 am

Actually, ever since the value of the dollar began to plummet, we've regressed to a barter system. Bring a herd of goats for trading.

Niotex
The Phantom Canine
Org Profile

Post by Niotex » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:53 pm

Tantra I just used my Rabobank debit card. It works "fine" if you know what banks to hit for ATM's. Not all atm's accept our cards but I wouldn't be too worried. For food and such I'd recommend cash. In general I recommend just stacking a large sum of cash into your wallet so you don't have to pay those extra transfer fee's every time you use your debit card. I myself haven't walked into any place where I couldn't use cash either so I wouldn't worry about that either.

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:00 pm

the only thing you might encounter is some stores don't accept $50 or $100 dollar bills.

Everyone else wants all the money you have.

I've never seen a no cash store, but have seen cash only stores.

Nessephanie
Cookie Monster
Org Profile

Post by Nessephanie » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:26 pm

Travelers checks are always an option too if you're not comfortable carrying alot of cash at one time. If you do bring cash, just makee sure you pack it in your carryon.

As for the credit card in you sisters name, in most cases you'll be okay with it. Brad has used one of my credit cards multiple times and never had a problem, but you just kinda have to watch where you want to use it. (restaurants would be fine, grocery stores again would be fine, certain stores would not ie: gamestop, oldnavy ect.) Although if you have the same last name, you might get away with it.

Cash will work everywhere, even for larger purchases. I like to carry $20's, they're the good middle ground, but I've never had a problem with any $50 bills that I've had.

Debit cards will not work at a place of business, as they're only set up for their (the US's) own system. You have to get cash out of ATM's with them, and for you, it'll probably only be at certain ATM's because you're using the Cirrus network and not Interac (although this may vary on where you get your debit card). As Mitch said, he was fine after figuring out which bank chains worked, I'm sure you could ask him which ones they specifically are.

Personally when I travel, I have a mix of all three of these. I use my cash first, and resort to the other two when I needs more. I've never used travelers checks myself, since I have to option to get more cash at anytime with credit or debit cards.

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:54 pm

nessephanie wrote:Travelers checks are always an option too if you're not comfortable carrying alot of cash at one time. If you do bring cash, just makee sure you pack it in your carryon.

I had a problem with traveler's cheques.

Nobody aside from the hancock building accepted them.

I had to get Grace to cash them for me

Douggie
CHEESECAKE!
Org Profile

Post by Douggie » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:30 pm

Thanks for the replies guys! My actual only concern was that there were credit card-only stores or stores that only accepts credits cards when the amount is higher than x. Because I wanna buy me some headphones when I'm in the US!

I'm actually not uncomfortable wearing cash with me, so that won't be a problem. Traveler's Checks do sound a bit like a hassle (and they cost something I heard), so I don't know how useful that would be as cash would be enough according to you guys. And it's good to know that they won't take debit cards anywhere - before I make a fool out of myself!

Okay, here's another question - somewhat related: I heard that in the US, prizes in stores are never the final price. There's always 8% tax (or something like that, depends on which state you live in) that is thrown above it. And for restaurants there's the tip, which is something between 10-20%, right? Do you still have to add tax in restaurants also, or is it included? And are tips to be given in restaurants only, or also other places where you can get food, like the McDonalds or your local hot dog stand?

Also, when using certain payment methods, like credit cards, do they add extra fee?

I know they're a lot of questions, but hey, it's useful to know the answer to those!

Hmmm... maybe I should just turn this thread into "what you should know as a tourist going to the US"! :P

Thanks people!

Return to “General Discussion”