So that dwchang will shut up already (MtG thread)

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Mithroch
Location: Indiana. There isn't more than corn here. The crow lies.
Org Profile

Post by Mithroch » Wed May 14, 2008 8:23 am

Savia wrote:I was more upset about the numerous violations of conservation of energy present. Wth is the energy to reproduce that leg coming from?

And don't say "an unexplained genetic factor". That's about as good an excuse as "ah, but it's MAGIC".
Tap Mountain, Plains, and Island for red, white, and blue mana?
I'm not rich... I just plan on dying before I retire.

Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Post by Kalium » Wed May 14, 2008 5:47 pm

Mithroch wrote:Tap Mountain, Plains, and Island for red, white, and blue mana?
Anyone running that many colors in one deck is probably dead meat. Much like Cap!

Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
Org Profile

Post by Kitsuner » Wed May 14, 2008 10:24 pm

Kalium wrote:
Mithroch wrote:Tap Mountain, Plains, and Island for red, white, and blue mana?
Anyone running that many colors in one deck is probably dead meat. Much like Cap!
Any deck running fewer than five colors is too much of a wuss to deserve to play.
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]

Mithroch
Org Profile

Post by Mithroch » Thu May 15, 2008 9:36 am

I used to run 5 colors in both standard and type I with great success. You just have to know your mana ratios and avoid cards with lots of mana specific casting costs. BoP also help.

Savia
Chocolate teapot
Org Profile

Post by Savia » Thu May 15, 2008 12:37 pm

It is my fondest hope that this thread will achieve its stated goal.

Just to cover the basics: I have played Magic for about 8 years, and now judge tournaments a lot as well. My total play time is uncountable and my collection comfortably into the 5 digits in size. As for value / cost... I try not to think about it for too long :(

My favourite colour is white. I play a little Magic Online and collect Chimney Imp on there. I have over 1,500.

The most expensive card I own is a beaten up Library of Alexandria.
"A creator needs only one enthusiast to justify him." - Man Ray
"Restrictions breed creativity." - Mark Rosewater

A Freudian slip is where you say one thing, but mean your mother.

Sukunai
Org Profile

Post by Sukunai » Thu May 15, 2008 3:30 pm

Ahh Magic. Back in 95, I had a great deck that was 5 colour. It was four of each dual land, and damn near any card I felt like playing. No specific trick but the played the locals, and we played in 5-7 person mob games at gatherings.
Being able to produce the iconic power card of any colour within on average 4 turns was pretty impressive.

If you plan to plan tournies though, you usually need to focus on an effect.

Haven't played the game since 97 as all the local friends got bored of it after 5 or so years of all out playing day after day.
Anime, one of the few things about the internet that doesn't make me hate the internet.

Mithroch
Org Profile

Post by Mithroch » Mon May 19, 2008 4:36 pm

I played competitively from 94 - 00 (including the first world championship in 94). I sold most of my valuable cards (Lotus, Mox, etc) when I stopped playing tournaments and later traded most my remaining collection (around 20,000 cards) to a friend for his D&D collection (8 Rubbermaid storage crates full).

After that... I would buy cards every so often... play around with some people... maybe play in a sealed deck tourney or a booster draft here and there.

I didn't really have a favorite color... maybe black. My favorite moment was Forking a Demonic Tutor and cramming a Channeled Fireball down Mike Long's smug face.

badmartialarts
Bad Martial Artist
Org Profile

Post by badmartialarts » Tue May 20, 2008 6:36 am

Haven't really played much MtG in a loong time, but my black land/hand destruction deck is still just as nasty as it used to be. :twisted:
Life's short.
eBayhard.

JudgeHolden
Org Profile

Post by JudgeHolden » Wed May 21, 2008 11:54 am

Magic Sux .... I can say this cuz I used to run a game store back in the day ... Once again MAGIC SUX!

Mithroch
Org Profile

Post by Mithroch » Wed May 21, 2008 1:27 pm

I ran one too... well... managed a hobby store... but I was the gaming expert and there was no other place to get gaming supplies with in 20 miles. Magic was basically like selling crack to high school kids... only legal and with slightly less gun play. God, I miss selling crack.

Return to “General Discussion”