This is the best Half-Life 2 speedrun ever.

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:28 pm

I thought the original HL was incredible when it first came out. I think it was totally revolutionary for games in general. HL2 was a little less revolutionary, but it was no less incredible and the Source engine was absolutely amazing.

Yes, it's pretty close to a rail shooter. But I think the key is that it gets every element in its formula close to 100% right. The gameplay I found perfectly balanced, and that carried through the HL franchise. It's a fun ride from start to finish, that's all. There are very few points in any of the games where either I got bored or it got totally predictable. Also it's not like the game has ONE good thing about it and it uses it as a freaking gimmick all over (though the HL2 physics engine does come a bit close sometimes) - it has a lot of good parts, they work well, and they're put together in the way that the game actually gets to be more than the sum of these parts. I played both HL and HL2 through 3 times and never regretted it. When I beat Ep. 1 and Ep. 2, I'm sure I'll want to do it again.

It's not my favorite game of all time (see: simulations), but I honestly have no reservation calling the original HL the best video game of all time, and HL2 following immediately after.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Return to “General Discussion”