Politics

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Zarxrax
Org Profile

Politics

Post by Zarxrax » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:27 am

No, not American politics!

There are a lot of foreigners here who make amvs. Here in the great American empire though, we don't know much about your foreign politics, because quite frankly, your little countries aren't important. However, in the name of further educating our great American people, I would like to hear more about the politics in other countries.

What are the current issues in your country? Are there any political uprisings or scandals occurring? Is power changing to the hands of another party? Are the people in your country divided on a major issue? Are any important new laws being passed? Do you vehemently disagree with a current policy?

Discuss, so us great Americans can become fully educated on the problems of your country based on the limited content of your forum post.

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:29 am

I'd be especially interested in people from burma/myanmar or other hot spots like that although I doubt we have many people here from areas like that.

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:21 am

I wanna hear bout Canadian politics.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:45 pm

Ileia wrote:I wanna hear bout Canadian politics.
Well currently Canada is run by a minority Conservative government. "Conservative" in Canada is of course quite relative, although they're certainly my least favorite party. In actuality they're just slightly right-of-center, and well to the left of the US Democrats for example, although they do have a tendency to play along with the Americans. Thus the current government's commitment to stick in Afghanistan.

Before that the Liberals, which are basically a centrist party, were in power, but they fucked things up with weak leadership and some unclear corruption scandals. The liberals hold a fairly large minority in the government as well.

The two parties that suddenly became important, because the Conservative minority government needs at least one other party to support all their bills, are the NDP and the Bloc Quebecois. The Bloc is basically a French Nationalist party and are only relevant in Quebec, but it seems the Conservatives have been sucking up to them, thus prime minister Harper's recent approval of a declaration that Quebec is a "nation within Canada". The NDP is a social democrat party, a lot like your typical European social democrat parties. They're keen on welfare, social services, free education, minority rights and labour rights. I guess they'd be the sort of "Liberals" that American conservatives are so horrified at.

These are the only represented parties, with NDP having only a few seats. There's some parties that are always on the voting ballot but have yet to get a seat - including the Green Party, the Marijuana Party, the Marxist-Leninist Party and the Canadian Communist Party.

I've tended to vote NDP and Green variously, mostly based on who is likely to make more noise about certain things (like proportional representation, stance on war, or education funding) in the nearest election, but I'm not at all in agreement with either of them on everything. At one point about a year ago, I was seriously considering joining the Communist party, but ultimately decided they were dumb and too far absorbed in silly social issues instead of the more over-arching economical ones. I also have to confess to voting Liberal once to deliberately try to keep the Conservatives from power.

All in all though, I'm really disappointed in "democracy" here. The system is such that my views count for shit here. I'll keep putting in my ballot for NDP and/or Green in the future, but I've given up hope that I'll see any regime that tackles the severe and total economic fuckover that I believe is in the books for the larger capitalist society, Canada included.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:31 pm

Otohiko wrote:Thus the current government's commitment to stick in Afghanistan.
Canada has troops?
In Afghanistan?

Did not know that!
Otohiko wrote: the Marijuana Party
:up:
Otohiko wrote:I've tended to vote NDP and Green variously
Is the green party pretty much the same as the US green party? I must admit I honestly don't know that much about our own green party. I know our regular democrats are very keen on improving the environment, so I can only imagine what kind of hardcore nature-lovers those in the green party must be.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:02 pm

Zarxrax wrote:
Canada has troops?
In Afghanistan?

Did not know that!
Yea, they have the largest contingent there next to the British in fact. Canada is responsible for two large Afghan provinces.
Otohiko wrote:I've tended to vote NDP and Green variously
Is the green party pretty much the same as the US green party? I must admit I honestly don't know that much about our own green party. I know our regular democrats are very keen on improving the environment, so I can only imagine what kind of hardcore nature-lovers those in the green party must be.[/quote]

I'd say about the same as the US green party. Between them and the Marijuana party, Canada at least has a good voting choice for true hippies :lol:
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Kristyrat
Time-traveling penguin
Org Profile

Post by Kristyrat » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:25 pm

Otohiko wrote:I've tended to vote NDP and Green variously, mostly based on who is likely to make more noise about certain things (like proportional representation, stance on war, or education funding) in the nearest election, but I'm not at all in agreement with either of them on everything.

All in all though, I'm really disappointed in "democracy" here. The system is such that my views count for shit here. I'll keep putting in my ballot for NDP and/or Green in the future, but I've given up hope that I'll see any regime that tackles the severe and total economic fuckover that I believe is in the books for the larger capitalist society, Canada included.
Aye, it's a shame Green's last campaign went along the lines of: "We have a good platform, but we don't have a large enough support base, so don't vote for us... yet".

Also, Stephen Harper is a robot.

Kristyrat
Time-traveling penguin
Org Profile

Post by Kristyrat » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:27 pm

Otohiko wrote:
Zarxrax wrote:
Canada has troops?
In Afghanistan?

Did not know that!
Yea, they have the largest contingent there next to the British in fact. Canada is responsible for two large Afghan provinces.
It's a shame we didn't really choose to be responsible for such an arbitrary placement, and that we're really doing dick-all there right now. :\

Ayanefan
Org Profile

Post by Ayanefan » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:13 pm

Kristyrat wrote: It's a shame we didn't really choose to be responsible for such an arbitrary placement, and that we're really doing dick-all there right now. :\
I hate Stephen Harper, especially when he went down to the States to apologize for Canada not joining in the fight in Iraq. And the guy is so stupid!

Quoth (Harper):
ome basic facts about Canada that are relevant to my talk... Canada is a Northern European welfare state in the worst sense of the term, and very proud of it.
End quoth.

I could probably find dumber quote that I said but at least I'm not leading a country.

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:29 pm

- Our government might be a silly manority....
- Our troops are only a fraction of the US

However, today the Canadian $ is worth 7% more then the American.. AND the government looks like will be lowering our GST (goods and Services) tax....

Wow... it's almost worth a plane trip to the US to go shopping!
Yor DVDs are so cheap now :D

Vlad

Return to “General Discussion”