House of Leaves

This forum is for members to discuss topics that do not relate to anime music videos.

House of Leaves

Postby Serv0 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:01 pm

So who's with me on this one? Is House of Leaves not one of the greatest books of all time?

Thought I make a thread not so in-depth...
But then again I'm posting House of Leaves.
So I guess I fail.
Sorry Moonie. :cry:

It's amazing at how many influences go in and come from this book. Especially the Silent Hill series.

Anyways who likes or dislikes this book?
Serv0

Postby dokool » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:11 pm

Best. Book. Ever.

See also: 'The Vellum' and 'The Ink' by Hal Duncan. Not quite at the level of insanity that House reached, but still damned good.
dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash

Postby Ayanefan » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:19 pm

Never heard of it. Best book I've read is Dune. And I'm only posting because I haven't for a while. Sorry for crashing the party.

:)
Ayanefan

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:51 pm

ayanefan wrote:Never heard of it. Best book I've read is Dune.
Truer words were never spoken.
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby Orwell » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:30 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:

Pfff. Your crazy, do you know how crazy you are? Here, have some [HoL] money.

Who has never killed an hour? Not casually or without thought, but carefully: a premeditated murder of minutes. The violence comes from a combination of giving up, not caring, and a resignation that getting past it is all you can hope to accomplish. So you kill the hour. You do not work, you do not read, you do not daydream. If you sleep it is not because you need to sleep. And when at last it is over, there is no evidence: no weapon, no blood, and no body. The only clue might be the shadows beneath your eyes or a terribly thin line near the corner of your mouth indicating something has been suffered, that in the privacy of your life you have lost something and the loss is too empty to share.

Probably one of my favorite lines from the book.
Latest
[Kristyrat]: Vote for Orwell
[Kristyrat]: because train conducters are dicks.
Otohiko: whereas Germans are like "god we are all so horrible, we're going to die a pointless death now."
Orwell
godx, Son of godix

Postby Serv0 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:38 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:

Muss es sein?
Serv0

Postby Otohiko » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:40 pm

I was quite happy with the way it was presented. Wasn't captured by the story nor convinced by the characters very much, but looking back at the way it was structured/written - it was very, very clever. I liked the book's format more than any of its' internal components.
Otohiko

Postby Tsunami Jones » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:52 pm

I might pick this up next time I need something to read. It looks like something that I'll really dig or absolutely hate :o
Tsunami Jones
is the best medicine.

Postby Brad » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:00 pm

I prefered the soundtrack.
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site
Brad

Postby Ayanefan » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:34 am

Being crazy and all, I found L Ron Hubbard's Battlefield Earth to be quite a good read up to page 800 or so, then it went down to politics. Pretty silly after that.

I just though of a great movie though, I'd call it "Gymn'ass-kicks" . Gymnasts by day, crime fighters by night, and love on the ropes (or balance beams).

My luck it's probably been done already. :(
Ayanefan

Postby Serv0 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:23 am

Tsunami Jones wrote:I might pick this up next time I need something to read. It looks like something that I'll really dig or absolutely hate :o

Need something to read? I guarantee TJ, the book will give you something to read for the rest of your life. :wink:

AtomX wrote:I prefered the soundtrack.

Poe?

TO ayanefan:

I can dig Dune. There's nothing wrong with Frank Herberts' Lord of the Rings of science fiction. 8-)
Serv0

Postby Flint the Dwarf » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:03 pm

Otohiko wrote:I was quite happy with the way it was presented. Wasn't captured by the story nor convinced by the characters very much, but looking back at the way it was structured/written - it was very, very clever. I liked the book's format more than any of its' internal components.

I saw a newer book of his called Only Revolutions. From what I gathered, it's a two-perspective story, told alternately front-to-back and back-to-front. Each page has two columns of text, one going up and one going down. Even the covers are reversed, so it looks right whichever way you hold the book.

I'm honestly just a bit daunted by Danielewski's presentation, so I haven't given either book a run through, although I've been meaning to.
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.
Flint the Dwarf

Postby Tsunami Jones » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:54 pm

servo101010 wrote:TJ, the book will give you something to read for the rest of your life.

Doubt it :uhoh:

Not because I think the book will be uninteresting or anything like that, but after I read something once, I rarely ever go back and read it again, even if I really, really enjoyed it. I'd much rather move on to something that I haven't read than something I already have.
Tsunami Jones
is the best medicine.

Postby Otohiko » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:46 pm

I don't know what's up with them pretentious titles and "books forevar", etc.

HoL is a clever little book that provides both a lot of mental stimulation and outright headfuck. A lot of ideas/quotes in it (like what Orwell cited there) are really gold in it.

As I said, I actually didn't care for the contained story as much as one might have, but the very fact that it's basically a book about a book about a documentary that doesn't exist about a house that is larger on the inside than the outside - well, if that's not perfect brain-tickling material, I don't know what is!
Otohiko

Re: House of Leaves

Postby requiett » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:11 pm

servo101010 wrote:So who's with me on this one? Is House of Leaves not one of the greatest books of all time?

Good enough to be the only thing in my profile for the last couple years.
requiett

Next

Return to General Discussion