America: A Degenerate Society?

This forum is for members to discuss topics that do not relate to anime music videos.

Postby inthesto » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:09 pm

Man, who the fuck eats a Pizza Hut anymore
Sukunai, Real Canadian Hero wrote:Note to any Muslims present. Abuse a female in my presence, and you are being sent to a hospital emergency ward with life threatening injuries. And no human law will make me change my mind.
User avatar
inthesto
Beef Basket
 
Joined: 13 Mar 2004
Location: PARTIES
Status: PARTIES

Postby Fall_Child42 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:32 pm

inthesto wrote:Man, who the fuck eats a Pizza Hut anymore


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayOr5wd219Q

I WIN.
Image
User avatar
Fall_Child42
has a rock
 
Joined: 11 Aug 2004
Location: Jurassic Park
Status: Veloci-tossin' to the max!

Postby Zarxrax » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:02 pm

Everyone likes to hate on the USA, and I can't say I'm terribly proud of our country as it's often presented, nor am I proud of how it's being led.

Lately though, I've been really fucking proud to be an American. People are starting to lose their apathy. People are starting to come together. People are starting to care. Many don't see it yet, but there is a cultural and political revolution coming.
User avatar
Zarxrax
 
Joined: 01 Apr 2001
Location: Concord, NC

Postby Jnzk » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:38 pm

Corran wrote:Touch is extremely important, yet the older we get, the larger our personal no-touch bubble expands. I wouldn't be surprised if a sociologist could connect this with the suicide rates in various societies...

You may be on to something here...
User avatar
Jnzk
Artsy Bastid
 
Joined: 28 Jan 2003
Location: Finland

Postby JaddziaDax » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:48 pm

i think the current american culture is claiming that the government or other cultures are suppressing their own because they can't practice it at public schools
User avatar
JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
 
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Location: somewhere i think O.o
Status: I has a TRU Arceus

Postby Zarxrax » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:48 pm

So far as "touch" goes in America, I think it has largely come about in recent years due to homophobia and sexual assault concerns.

50 years ago, guys could go around the locker room naked, and not think anything about it. Today, all the kids will say thats gay. Likewise, a male never want's to touch another male aside from a handshake or whatever, because thats gay too, of course. Don't even think about touching a girl, you automatically become a sex offender. Kids can't even play tag today because it involves touching.
User avatar
Zarxrax
 
Joined: 01 Apr 2001
Location: Concord, NC

Postby JaddziaDax » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:03 pm

not to mention how many nuts are out there trying to censor nudity because its "bad". (when I say nudity I'm talking about stuff like shower scenes in anime that are completely innocent, or something like Michelangelo's David - or any other kind of art... hence my statement that "some people see art as porn" in that other thread)

I don't think that kids even take showers in the locker room anymore... I know in my high school they didn't and the showers that were left there from the "old days" had spiders living in them due to neglect. (instead tons of perfume and deodorant or just not being active in P.E. at all were used)

There is a lot of "self censorship" out there too... I don't mind hugging, but I'm always afraid of how people will react when I do something like that, so that sort of thing is reserved for people I know really well. or to specific places where I know something like that would be welcomed (Renaissance Faire - most of the friends I made out there were very touchy-feely).

At the Dickens' Fair I was often seen holding a girl's hand because it was not only acceptable in that time period, but common.

I remember being in High school when the exchange student kissed me on the cheeks for saying hi to her. it totally weirded me out, but at the same time I knew it was because thats how they "acted there" so I couldn't get mad at her or anything.. but my face did turn beet red O.o

but like Zarx said... any same gender touching is considered "gay" here and there is still a lot of homophobia running rampant.
User avatar
JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
 
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Location: somewhere i think O.o
Status: I has a TRU Arceus

Postby Athena » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:15 pm

Dear America,

You bemoan the lack of change, but you do nothing, and then you complain when your lack of action means you have seen no change. Well pardon my lack of indulgence or sympathy. You don't vote, you don't campaign, you don't get behind people or issues you feel are important in the public sphere.

Someone else will do it.

It's not your job, you cry, to take care of the poor, or the sick, or the disabled, or the mentally ill, and the government shouldn't make you, because the private sector can do it better, never mind you know the private sector is made up of people just like you.

Someone else will do it.

So you say it's sad that our problems aren't fixed. You're sympathetic to the plight of the sick, and the poor, and disabled, and the mentally ill, but you have kids of your own, and the dry cleaning needs to be picked up. You just don't have the time, but you've heard of people like Mother Theresa, and you've seen the kids from your local University who form groups to go read to children in the primarily black south of the city.

Someone else will do it.

Can't spare the time to reach out of your SUV and hand someone some change, even though you have a full clip for the tollway. You know, at least intellectually, there must be a mission or a soup kitchen nearby, and this guy may just be trying to get crack. If he needs help, well, it doesn't have to be from you.

Someone else will do it.

You believe in spreading democracy around the world, and every so often it seems we are valid in our attempts to do so, that we get involved in the histories of other nations. You say believe strongly that these people must be free, but meanwhile back in America, you're trying to make sure you don't miss your tee time. After all, we're a free country, and our military is a volunteer force. So why then were you at all worried? You're not stupid enough to join our armed forces.

Someone else will do it.

And when the body bags come home, and the faces are ones you recognize, you celebrate their honor, but bemoan their cost. These are not random individuals you, cry, no, these are our sons and daughters. You knew them, and therefore, it might seem as though maybe something might get through to you. But no. You instead say, well, it doesn't need to be us, wherever we are. We have our own problems at home, like the sick, and the poor, and the disabled, and the horrible corruption in our government. You want to say you're focused on that. As for the mess elsewhere in the world? Well, we did enough by getting involved in the first place, and we don't have to be bound to see the ending.

Someone else will do it.
Image
User avatar
Athena
I ♥ the 80's
 
Joined: 02 Mar 2001
Location: Japan
Status: Sad Girl on Mac

Re: America: A Degenerate Society?

Postby aesling » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:27 pm

SQ wrote:Did you ever notice how people from countries other than the US are more laid back, accepting, and more educated? Do you think this has to do with their cultures, beliefs and traditions? America has no real central belief or tradition, and its holidays have been overrun with commercial propaganda. While other countries may have similar problems with their holidays, they aren't near as "bad" as the USA's.

America has a much more business-like society where as, for example, in Italy it is customary to kiss and hug freely(as with many other cultures) upon meeting.


I'm sorry, but I think that's total bullshit (not to mention incredibly overgeneralized). Sure, our country and its culture have many problems, some that are very deeply rooted. But so does just about any culture. No culture is perfect, because people aren't perfect, so to pick out specific cultural differences that you like and say that somehow makes those countries "better" is ridiculous, because you are failing to look at the whole and acknowledge their flaws. For example, while Spain may be much more open about sexuality in the media, they also have quite a bit of machismo going on still.

I'm also not sure more "centralized beliefs" (whatever that means) are the answer to our problems either. Yes, rampant capitalism is incredibly empty and damaging to our society, but if that's what drives our country, isn't that a central belief? Just because a belief is central doesn't make it healthy.

On another note, I also find people who critisize America for borrowing elements of other cultures ridiculous. For one thing, throughout the history of humanity when different cultures come into contact, they almost invariably borrow something from one another. It's nothing new. For another, this flexibility is one of the things I actually love about America. A rigid culture that can't adapt is one that will very likely die out.
User avatar
aesling
Mad Scientist
 
Joined: 03 Feb 2005
Location: Wall Rose
Status: Human McNugget

Postby JaddziaDax » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:55 pm

the Romans and the Greeks are good examples of borrowing from other cultures O.o
User avatar
JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
 
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Location: somewhere i think O.o
Status: I has a TRU Arceus

Re: America: A Degenerate Society?

Postby Beowulf » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:09 pm

aesling wrote: For example, while Spain may be much more open about sexuality in the media, they also have quite a bit of machismo going on still.


ROFL, I don't think the Spanish are qualified to be used as the "positive example" in an example about cultural differences.

Marquis de Sade anyone?
User avatar
Beowulf
 
Joined: 27 Feb 2002
Location: in the art house

Postby inthesto » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:13 pm

Janzki wrote:
Corran wrote:Touch is extremely important, yet the older we get, the larger our personal no-touch bubble expands. I wouldn't be surprised if a sociologist could connect this with the suicide rates in various societies...

You may be on to something here...


Ironic that this comes from the guy from Finland, which is #12 on suicide rates per capita.

National suicides rates are actually linked more to how much sunlight a country gets annually. And it cant be any coincidence that eight of the top ten countries are former states of the USSR.
Sukunai, Real Canadian Hero wrote:Note to any Muslims present. Abuse a female in my presence, and you are being sent to a hospital emergency ward with life threatening injuries. And no human law will make me change my mind.
User avatar
inthesto
Beef Basket
 
Joined: 13 Mar 2004
Location: PARTIES
Status: PARTIES

Re: America: A Degenerate Society?

Postby inthesto » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:17 pm

Beowulf wrote:
aesling wrote: For example, while Spain may be much more open about sexuality in the media, they also have quite a bit of machismo going on still.


ROFL, I don't think the Spanish are qualified to be used as the "positive example" in an example about cultural differences.

Marquis de Sade anyone?


The Marqius de Sade was all about Spanish pride[/quote], huh?
Sukunai, Real Canadian Hero wrote:Note to any Muslims present. Abuse a female in my presence, and you are being sent to a hospital emergency ward with life threatening injuries. And no human law will make me change my mind.
User avatar
inthesto
Beef Basket
 
Joined: 13 Mar 2004
Location: PARTIES
Status: PARTIES

Re: America: A Degenerate Society?

Postby aesling » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:20 pm

Beowulf wrote:
aesling wrote: For example, while Spain may be much more open about sexuality in the media, they also have quite a bit of machismo going on still.


ROFL, I don't think the Spanish are qualified to be used as the "positive example" in an example about cultural differences.

Marquis de Sade anyone?


Positive example? Did you even read what I wrote? And the Marquis de Sade isn't even from Spain (not to mention this is exactly what I was talking about; taking one specific example and using it to generalize an entire culture).
User avatar
aesling
Mad Scientist
 
Joined: 03 Feb 2005
Location: Wall Rose
Status: Human McNugget

Postby Serv0 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:09 pm

The quality of the USA is dependent on the perspective of its citizens. After all, it is a country ran by the "PEOPLE." Who's to blame then?

"In order for a civilization to survive, it must remain civilized." -Rod Serling.

Experience has justified this statement for me. After all I have grown up in both sides of the world.
Serv0
 
Joined: 01 Aug 2005
Location: Satellite of Love

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests