America: A Degenerate Society?

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:10 pm

godix wrote:
CodeChrono wrote:America's society is based primarily on the Christian view of life, which results in low tolerance of acceptance and equality.
I'm not a christian and am far from being an apologist for christians but I just don't think christianity (as practiced in America) is all that bad on tolerance. In much of the world being the wrong religion or ethnicity will get you killed, often right along with several thousand others like you. In America being the wrong religion or ethnicity means you are looked at funny on a plane or have a noose put on your doorknob. Hell, even ignoring the third world and just comparing to other civilized nations we're still fairly well off. In France a racist gets 20% of the vote for president, defacing jewish tombs seems like a national hobby, wearing symbols of your religion will get you expelled from school, anti-muslim practices are a matter of national policy, and you can and will be arrested for non-violent protest. So yeah, we got work to do in America but we actually aren't all that bad.
Homosexuality/Gay Marrige: Basically, the government says you can be gay (but can't say it out loud in some states and in the military), but you can't get married (exception in some states).
That's the people more than the government. Homosexual marriage was roundly defeated by popular vote almost every time it's been put to a vote. Personally I think it should be legal but one of my inlaws has been in a monogamous homosexual relationship for almost 20 years now without homosexual marriage so I'm not really seeing how it's all that important of an issue.
Abortion: While the government does allow this (hallah-freaking-lullah), it is so heavily frowned upon that it is ridiculous and results in many lives being ruined. This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. People believe abortion is killing young babies, and since the Christian Values prohibit "murder", it is frowned upon.
Abortion is the only surgical procedure a minor can have without notifying her parents. How much less government interference in abortion do you expect? As a total side note, while I don't agree with the abortion is murder idea I have never heard of anyone who can actually prove it wrong.
You do make a nice point(s).

The biggest being the religion stuff. You're right. Because of our first amendment, we have the right to practice whatever religion we want, without fear of persecution. Yet, we still hear random stories of muslim people getting kicked off planes for praying, or a jewish person getting hate crimes performed to them. While not all of these actions are done by Christians, I implicated them since they seem to be the majority religion, and there are several nut jobs out there.

Beowulf
Org Profile

Post by Beowulf » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:26 pm

American society has been historically very intolerant in general. The country was founded by RELIGIOUS FANATICS. Everyone kind of seems to forget that part. These guys were so uptight and crazy that they got kicked out of Europe during the fucking renaissance of all times.

We don't come from the best of stock.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:46 pm

Beowulf wrote:American society has been historically very intolerant in general. The country was founded by RELIGIOUS FANATICS. Everyone kind of seems to forget that part. These guys were so uptight and crazy that they got kicked out of Europe during the fucking renaissance of all times.

We don't come from the best of stock.
Uhm. No. The colonies were founded by Puritans.

The United States, as a national body, was founded by heretical deists and unitarians. People who certainly had some morally questionable views to us now (such as owning slaves), but also held that their religion was a matter of private direction, primarily out of extreme self-interest.

Thomas Jefferson was an outspoken deist. And Ben Franklin was a frequenter, if a non-member, of the Hellfire Club.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Return to “General Discussion”