America: A Degenerate Society?

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
inthesto
Beef Basket
Org Profile

Post by inthesto » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:28 pm

FUN FACT: The US is full of stupid laws passed in the stone age that nobody actually enforces.
Sukunai, Real Canadian Hero wrote:Note to any Muslims present. Abuse a female in my presence, and you are being sent to a hospital emergency ward with life threatening injuries. And no human law will make me change my mind.

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:37 pm

Otohiko wrote:
Ileia wrote:
So is sleeping naked.
Wait what.

Explain this as I'm known for this particular behaviour :o
Hey, I didn't write the laws. And it's not enforced, like Ying said, it's just a bullshit law that was made for some unknown reason. There's also one that has to do with having a chicken on your head while crossing the Minnesota-Wisconsin border.

And please don't indulge in this habit while Todd is over. :O
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:47 pm

What, indulging having a chicken on my head? :lol:

And eh. That's why I have a separate room here. That even locks. :roll:
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Post by Kalium » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:47 am

Otohiko wrote:
Ileia wrote:
So is sleeping naked.
Wait what.

Explain this as I'm known for this particular behaviour :o
Minnesooooota. I think it has to do with the risk of certain important outer extremities freezing off or being attacked by the giant mosquitoes, depending on season.

inthesto
Beef Basket
Org Profile

Post by inthesto » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:49 am

Personally, I see it as the mayor's wife accidentally walking in on a dude sleeping in the buff, complaining to hubby about it, and then BAM new town law the next day.

One-time incidents are probably how most of these dumbass local laws get passed.
Sukunai, Real Canadian Hero wrote:Note to any Muslims present. Abuse a female in my presence, and you are being sent to a hospital emergency ward with life threatening injuries. And no human law will make me change my mind.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:21 am

its legal to beat your wife in southern california as long as you have her permission

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:23 am

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:49 am

I blame religious nuts.

America's society is based primarily on the Christian view of life, which results in low tolerance of acceptance and equality. (BTW - Before you start calling me things like a Satanist, you should know I'm a devout Christian, I'm just not blind)

Christian values frown heavily upon premarital sex, and therefore because holding hands and kissing can lead to said act, they are usually frowned upon. Personally, I have no problem with people acting in this way. I wish our country were less business-oriented and closeminded.

Let's look at several key issues proving my point.

Homosexuality/Gay Marrige: Basically, the government says you can be gay (but can't say it out loud in some states and in the military), but you can't get married (exception in some states). The government would never consider this for heterosexual couples, due to the biblical reference to homosexuality and their "sinful ways".

Abortion: While the government does allow this (hallah-freaking-lullah), it is so heavily frowned upon that it is ridiculous and results in many lives being ruined. This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. People believe abortion is killing young babies, and since the Christian Values prohibit "murder", it is frowned upon.
(Note: I morally believe that abortion is wrong, but I don't think the government should have the power to control our bodies and their natural functions)

______

I digress.

Short Version: America=1st Amendment

MadScientist
Org Profile

Post by MadScientist » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:29 am

CodeChrono wrote:I blame religious nuts.

America's society is based primarily on the Christian view of life, which results in low tolerance of acceptance and equality. (BTW - Before you start calling me things like a Satanist, you should know I'm a devout Christian, I'm just not blind)
Wow, you are a rare breed my friend. I am a devout Christian too, but share a similar approach. It is not the job of Christians to judge others or impose their religious convictions on others. Christianity should promote tolerance, love, and personal sacrifice to help others.
CodeChrono wrote: Let's look at several key issues proving my point.

Homosexuality/Gay Marrige: Basically, the government says you can be gay (but can't say it out loud in some states and in the military), but you can't get married (exception in some states). The government would never consider this for heterosexual couples, due to the biblical reference to homosexuality and their "sinful ways".

Abortion: While the government does allow this (hallah-freaking-lullah), it is so heavily frowned upon that it is ridiculous and results in many lives being ruined. This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. People believe abortion is killing young babies, and since the Christian Values prohibit "murder", it is frowned upon.
(Note: I morally believe that abortion is wrong, but I don't think the government should have the power to control our bodies and their natural functions)

______

I digress.

Short Version: America=1st Amendment
I believe Jimmy Carter (who is a very devoted southern Baptist) hits the nail on the head in his book "Our Endangered Values." He makes excellent points regarding our government and the Religious Right's desire to have the government impose religious morality through law. He explains that this is the very thing that is endangering the concepts and rights set forth by our constitution.
The Neo Conservatives manipulate the vote of the Religious Right, by tricking them into voting for them based on mostly irrelevant issues to our future as a nation such as Gay Marriage, Abortion, etc. This allows them to continue to put forth their own agenda, with the backing of the largely mindless religious right voters.

I highly recommend Carter's book. He is highly intelligent and knows where to draw the line in religion and politics, without compromising his faith.

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:58 am

vinylvengeance wrote:
CodeChrono wrote:I blame religious nuts.

Wow. Glad to find somebody else who feels the same way!

*goes to book store to look for Carter's book*

Return to “General Discussion”