Netflix turn-around times

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Netflix turn-around times

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:50 pm

So, I was thinking about gettign a netflix account for source (not because I need it particualrly, but to establish a base of DVD quality VOBs for future projects) but i was wondering about turn around times. I know the anime-only equivilent to netflix (i forget the name right now) that's run out of Florida suffered from huge backorders and waitlists not to mention turn-arounds of up to a week. If I got a cheep 1 disc at a time plan and ripped and returned that disc in a day, would I be able to get, say, 10 discs a month? more? I assume it's based on location, so is there any sort of site that anyone knows of that tracks the turn-around times?
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:03 pm

The turnover changes depending on how quickly you return the dvds. If you mail the dvds back the day after you get them, within a month they'll mark your account so the dvds are mailed out more slowly - so you'll have a longer wait. For the first month I was on a 3 at a time deal and I got about 15 to 18 dvds a month. Two months later they'd slowed me down to 3 dvds every 10 to 12 days, no matter how quickly I mailed them back. There actually an article about that. It's their policy to limit the accounts. So the 3at-a-time program that say "unlimited" is actually limited to 12 dvds per month if you return them too quickly. If you return some quickly and others slowly, they don't mark your account so it just depends on how long it takes to ship the discs.

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:14 pm

I've never noticed any holding problems with my account. I've had the 3, 4, and now 5 at a time account. I do mix things up and keep disks for a week or two sometimes. But for the most part 1 disk gets sent back every time I receive a set. I usually setup my queue for 3 disks I want to watch and 2 disks for source for each set that I get.

Now I do notice that when I get something obscure (as often happens when I grab anime source that is old and rarely heard of) the local distro wont carry it and I have to get it from say, Arizona when I live in Detroit. So shipping times will be longer for that dvd. However on average if I send a disk back today, they receive it tomorrow, and the next day I have my new disk. So a 2-3 day turn around generally is what I experience.

In the end I guess it really depends on where you live. I've never had a problem with it, but who knows, you may.
ImageImageImageImage

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:28 pm

If they say Unlimited in their ads and on their site with no asterik or footnote of any kind and it really isn't unlimited, i'd say you had a case for false advertisement and/or breach of contract. Of course to be on the safe side i'd have the account in the name of someone else that was squeeky clean before mentioning that to them.

Is it officially Unlimited, or do they cover that in the fine print somewhere? If they do it's simply false advertisement.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

NeoQuixotic
Master Procrastinator
Org Profile

Post by NeoQuixotic » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:40 am

I've used both Netflix and Blockbuster Online and experienced the slowdown after about a month. It's annoying, but I understand why it exists. I've also had many broken and wrong discs mailed out. I'd wait a damn week and find that they sent me the wrong DVD. :x
Insert clever text/image here.

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:20 am

I don't remember any fine print as far as the unlimited went. But I remember getting a settlement on a class action suit about a year ago, I don't remember what it was for but I think it was along those lines.
ImageImageImageImage

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:07 am

BasharOfTheAges wrote:If they say Unlimited in their ads and on their site with no asterik or footnote of any kind and it really isn't unlimited, i'd say you had a case for false advertisement and/or breach of contract.
That's what people were trying to sue them about. They won the case and there were articles where Netflix openly admitted to putting delays on shipping for accounts that were going through dvds at an abnormally fast rate. It's still not on their site in any fine print that I've seen. But I got one of the emails when the suit was being filed. The price for my membership was lowered for about a month and then things went back to normal again. I suspended my account a while back, but they were still holding dvds the last time I ordered some.

Keep in mind it depends on what sort of account you have. The three at a time accounts are the ones that were the subject of that lawsuit because the delay was obvious. I haven't heard anything of the really expensive accounts having delays - they get more money from them.

Eh. It was in the newspaper here when the suit was filed. Everyone was talking about it. o.O

Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
Org Profile

Post by Kitsuner » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:37 am

I usually get a two-day wait period (one day there, one day back), but I'm pretty close to one of their place thingies, so that might have something to do with it.

Orwell
godx, Son of godix
Org Profile

Post by Orwell » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:34 am

I've had to wait up to a month to get new dvds when I had the 3 deal program. Nothing would sound good and I'd forget to send back the discs until the bill came. :lol: But besides the semi-rare disc scratch/break I had a pretty good experience using them. A+++ or whatever.
Though when I tried to get GTO, every time they sent a disc it came in between 3-9 parts. After the third time I gave up trying to see that series.
Latest
[Kristyrat]: Vote for Orwell
[Kristyrat]: because train conducters are dicks.
Otohiko: whereas Germans are like "god we are all so horrible, we're going to die a pointless death now."

OhmGautama
Org Profile

Post by OhmGautama » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:17 pm

Hello, My apologies for raising a "dead" topic but I was looking into netflix for myself and searching through the forums I found this topic. The turn around time was one of my questions which you all have definitely answered and I thank you for that.

I do have another question, and this may seem silly, but is there any video quality loss from renting an anime dvd through Netflix and ripping it for editing, as opposed to buying it? Barring any scratched discs that is.
"Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make"

Return to “General Discussion”