So, who's read the new Harry Potter book yey?

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
requiett
Org Profile

Post by requiett » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:40 am

AtomX wrote:
requiett wrote:Those books suck more successive hairy ass with each passing chapter. I should know, having read up to halfway through the 3rd book.

Read Ender's Game for great justice.
:O

Wow. We actually have something we could talk about :o

Been an Ender's Game fan since back in the day.
Not like those books haven't gone WAY downhill either. I have to admit though, Ender's Shadow was a perfect counterpart to the original book, and nearly as good. I just wish Card wouldn't drag his great ideas out too far.

Tono_Fyr
Org Profile

Post by Tono_Fyr » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:44 am

requiett wrote:
AtomX wrote:
requiett wrote:Those books suck more successive hairy ass with each passing chapter. I should know, having read up to halfway through the 3rd book.

Not like those books haven't gone WAY downhill either. I have to admit though, Ender's Shadow was a perfect counterpart to the original book, and nearly as good. I just wish Card wouldn't drag his great ideas out too far.
Admittedly, the rest of the series wasn't as good as the first, but it was still good reading, far as I'm concerned. At least he quit not too long after Ender died.

I'll read the seventh Harry Potter book only because I've read the other six, and I'm ready to be fucking done with it. I've been reading these books for the past 8 years.

Ah well. Either way, I won't get around to the new Harry Potter book until I've at least finished the fourth Dark Tower book. Stephen King's masterwork For Great Justice and The Win.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:11 am

I only read classic literature these days :roll:

(on a more serious note, I know for a fact that one day someone will probably make me read Harry Potter books, and for that matter my brother will make me read Ender's Game and other Card books, and fucking everyone will make me read King's books (because apparently I'm always the only one who still hasn't), but eh... I'm in no rush. I'm far more partial to Dostoyevski, Bulgakov and Tolstoy these days than I am to anything particularly modern).

I did see a couple of the HP movies and I thought they were fun enough but really not anything that indicated some sort of good literature behind them. Am I wrong and are the books better than that?

/end somewhat unintentionally snobbish post
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
Org Profile

Post by Kitsuner » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:14 pm

Otohiko wrote:fucking everyone will make me read King's books (because apparently I'm always the only one who still hasn't)
King who?
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]

SilversLightning
Resident Yaoi Fangirl
Org Profile

Post by SilversLightning » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:09 pm

JaddziaDax wrote:mmmm Snarry
hawt shit :O

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:33 pm

Otohiko wrote:I only read classic literature these days :roll:
I tried that but quickly learned the reason most people don't read classic lit these days is that, for the most part, classic lit is boring as shit. Pre-20th century storytelling methods just don't do it for me.
on a more serious note, I know for a fact that one day someone will probably make me read Harry Potter books, and for that matter my brother will make me read Ender's Game and other Card books, and fucking everyone will make me read King's books (because apparently I'm always the only one who still hasn't)
Stand your ground on Potter and King. You don't want any part of that shit. Card is pretty decent. Not nearly the great piece of modern lit that some claim but still a decent read.
I did see a couple of the HP movies and I thought they were fun enough but really not anything that indicated some sort of good literature behind them. Am I wrong and are the books better than that?
I because a die hard hater of the Potter movies after the 2nd one ended with Dues Ex Machina not once, not twice, but at least three motherfucking times. I have been told by many who read the book that the movie was pretty faithful to the ending. So AFAIK the books are nothing more than some whiny teenage brat standing around waiting for someone to come save his ass. If you want teenage angst by people who can barely wipe their own ass without help then go read livejournal instead.

Shazzy
Org Profile

Post by Shazzy » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:27 am

AtomX wrote:

Ender's Game is pretty awesome.
AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV
Quarter-life crisis: a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:57 pm

godix wrote:
Otohiko wrote:I only read classic literature these days :roll:
I tried that but quickly learned the reason most people don't read classic lit these days is that, for the most part, classic lit is boring as shit. Pre-20th century storytelling methods just don't do it for me.
Well Bulgakov is 20th century and Tolstoy is partially...
Anyway, I think the reason I like them has more to do with my cultural (and even more sociocultural) background than their relative age. The Russian (and some other) classics are a big part of the Russkie Intelligentsia psyche.

....anyway.

I actually said I'll read Harry Potter when the hype for it dies down and it's safely collecting dust on shelves (among them library shelves). Since I have an inherent aversion to hype, I don't think I could pick them up right now and start reading without a sense of distrust, and that's not a good mindset to start reading something in.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:51 pm

DivineQueenYeiweh wrote:
JaddziaDax wrote:mmmm Snarry
hawt shit :O
mmmm hawt indeed:

SilversLightning
Resident Yaoi Fangirl
Org Profile

Post by SilversLightning » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:56 pm