I need new Headphones

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

I need new Headphones

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:27 pm

A couple of days ago the in-ear headphones that came with my Dell DJ got tired of being pulled around and one of the channels finally gave out. I need recomendations on a replacement pair of either in ear or small on ear headphones so I can keep listening to music at work, when I walk, etc.

Now, I have a decent pair of editing headphones, a headset for Vent and whatnot, but nothing to replace the broken ones (that would be appropriate for wearing outside and to work) except an old piece of shit $5 pair from the 90s with no low tones, tinny sound, and terribly quiet output - they're so bad i've decided to go without until i can get a decent replacement pair.

I really don't want to pay an arm and a leg, but i know the quality you get when you buy the bargin pairs. Any reccomendations?
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:41 pm

If you don't mind behind-the-neck-style headphones, I'd suggest <a href="http://www.consumer.philips.com/consume ... ">these</a> from Philips.

They have the best bass of any lightweight headphones I can remember ever using, but unfortunately, I had to return them because the neckband style just wasn't working for me... I couldn't put my head back against my desk chair, plus they hurt the tops of my ears from resting on them. And unfortunately, I didn't see a normal over-the-top-style version.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:02 pm

I'll check them out. The behind the neck ones do tend to make my ears a bit sore with my glasses and all, but they might be worth it if they sound good.
| | |

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:20 pm

Sennheiser PX100

/end thread :o

Seriously though, my brother (a certified audiophile) has a pair of these; they don't look like much but the sound quality on them is really amazing for something that size. They're rather small/light and foldable too. You can usually find them for around $70.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:50 pm

Otohiko wrote:Sennheiser PX100

/end thread :o
Actually, one qualification after consulting my brother - he says these aren't "street" headphones and wouldn't be too great in noisy environments due to lack of sound isolation. Sennheiser do have similarly-sized and -priced 'street' sets though, too...
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:04 pm

Actually, I've never had a problem with the Sony wrap around the ear style headphones. They emulate the sound quite well while also not annoying people around you, and above all you can still hear things happening around you if you need to. I used them when I worked in food service and had no problems hearing orders over the grill and vent, but could still rock out.

The only problem is if your ears can actually handle it. Though I find them more comfortable then the old earbud style that let no air inside your ear. Their fairly cheap too, I got mine for 10 bucks and I've had them for a good 5 years now, no problems.
ImageImageImageImage

guy07
Org Profile

Post by guy07 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:24 pm

I have a pair of sonys, only cost 10 bucks, decent quality. Forget the model name/number, they r black and can be found at music world (but i'm not sure if they have that store in America so you can get them at wall-mart too).
Won't cut it if you are a audiophile though. Cheap Though.

NeoQuixotic
Master Procrastinator
Org Profile

Post by NeoQuixotic » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:04 pm

I also have a behind-the-neck pair of Sonys (MDR-G42) that I've had for about 2 years and I think they sound pretty good. I'd just buy some and return them if you don't like them. Of course this depends on the return policy from whatever store. However, I've bought several headphones from Best Buy and CompUSA and returned them with my reason being they sucked.
Insert clever text/image here.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:53 pm

Ended up getting pressured by friends into getting Philips SHE9500 in-ear ones. They sound pretty damn good, but I just found out I could have gotten them from Amazon for half the price (including shipping) that I paid at Best Buy. :?
| | |

requiett
Org Profile

Post by requiett » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:00 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:Philips SHE9500
I'll vouch for those. I've had several different Philips in-ear models, and these are fucking awesome for the cost. I actually got mine at WalMart [Yeah yeah, I know =\ ] for $14.99.

Return to “General Discussion”