Non-Anime videos at Anime Music Video conventions

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Non-Anime videos at Anime Music Video conventions

Post by SQ » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:38 pm

Okay so I was wondering.

Sometimes (specifically AWA Expo), live-action music videos get entered into assumed AMV contests. They seem kinda out of place at an anime convention but whatever, they're accepted and such.

For the most part, I've seen nothing wrong with the live-action videos, and they're usually incredibly good because, I guess, only really good editors have the gusto to submit a non-anime music video to an anime convention. Or something.

But, do some people think this is unfair? Do you guys, as normal con-goers, think it's dumb/waste of time/should be disqualified/etc.?

And also, what of music videos that weren't even fan-made, but completely done originally? Now I could see why it wouldn't matter much if it were anime-themed or involved cosplaying, but what if it doesn't?
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

guy07
Org Profile

Post by guy07 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:03 pm

I think it's fine to show if it's good,but i don't think they should qualify to win any awards.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:05 pm

some conventions such as A-kon have an "anime inspired" category that they stick "stuff that doesnt fit in the amv contest" into, but then again they dont allow GMVs (such as Final Fantasy) into their main amv contest

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:01 pm

I like them and am glad to see some contests willing to show them. Some of the best videos I've ever seen were non-AMVs and thus I'm glad to get more opportunities to see them. Without that, I'd be 'ignorant' and still not know about these great works.
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

Nessephanie
Cookie Monster
Org Profile

Post by Nessephanie » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:42 pm

I think that it's perfectly fine, as long as the contest allows it *shrugs*. AWA has a separate award for the live action category, so of course the videos shouldn't be disqualified. The coordinator chooses to include them, and I think it's cool. It's not unfair at all because they are kept separate from the AMV's.

It all depends on the contest and convention and how they're handled. But I guess I'm biased seeing as I edit live action vids myself, and so I have no problem with them being a very small percentage in a huge contest. And of course I enjoy watching them....

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:59 pm

yea id have to say im biased too... i like seeing them :)

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:44 pm

The thing with AWA is, its not an "assumed AMV contest". It's the "VAT Awards" meaning, the "Video Art Track awards", and the VAT accepts both anime and non-anime music videos. It spells out clear as day in the rules. There are zero restrictions on the content. I mean, they're not even kept seperate all of the time. I remember one year the award for Best Action in Expo went to a Matrix Trilogy video.

So, you just have to look at it from the perspective of what the contest is about.
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

Coderjo
Org Profile

Post by Coderjo » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:14 am

Back in 2002 or so, someone entered a REAL music video into AWA's contest. Complete with production info and everything at the start and end. I think it was not accepted, though. (I was doing batch capture and was told not to bother with that one)

Coderjo
Org Profile

Post by Coderjo » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:15 am

Coderjoe wrote:Back in 2002 or so, someone entered a REAL music video into AWA's contest. Complete with production info and everything at the start and end. I think it was not accepted, though. (I was doing batch capture and was told not to bother with that one)
(I think things might have changed since then, but I don't know. I was mainly doing mindless batch capture and encode.)

Return to “General Discussion”