Philip Mak, 1981-2007

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Philip Mak, 1981-2007

Post by Kionon » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:02 am

So, I considered putting this in general, but PMak wasn't an AMVer. I could have put it in General Anime, but... Mods, feel free to move this where you think it is most appropriate.

Philip Mak, who ran shoujoai.com, animewallpapers.com, and the Fanfiction Mailing List (and was often on the FFIRC where Phade and I met years ago) has passed away. He died of a sudden cerebral hemorrhage. I'd figure I'd share in case anyone hadn't yet heard.

I've known Pmak for nearly 12 years, and he was always part of the fandom in a very real way. He took up the slack for several different subfandoms when others simply didn't have the time or the financial means. Creating sites now trying to find their way without him as they have become invaluable to the fandom as a whole. The FFML has been revamped and Daniel Carr has picked up the slack. Animewallpapers.com is up, and eerily still has update posts by Philip displayed.

Having someone pass on that you always relied on to be in the background is a startling experience, and a one of regret. I admit I did not take pains to keep up with Philip or help him out with his various projects. I cannot honestly even say I remember the last time I spoke with him. While I realize that is life, it doesn't, at this point, make me feel much better.

Rest in Peace, Philip, and know the anime fandom was different for your efforts, and will be lacking with out you.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

guy07
Org Profile

Post by guy07 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:05 pm

I never knew him, but i use to go to animewallpapers.com all the time.

Too bad about that. :(

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:09 pm

guy07 wrote:I never knew him, but i use to go to animewallpapers.com all the time.

Too bad about that. :(
Yeah, that's the thing. Most people didn't know him personally, but I bet thousands of people used his websites over the years, maybe tens of thousands. Anyone who ever got an wallpaper from animewallpapers.com has Philip to thank for it.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Return to “General Discussion”