grieving

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
downwithpants
BIG PICTURE person
Org Profile

grieving

Post by downwithpants » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:00 pm

how long do you feel grief when a close one dies? whom and how long would you mourn for most and longest? family? friends? pets? how do you deal with it?

i haven't had many close ones leave me fortunately. my closest was my dog Star, who i had for eight years from when i was six to fourteen. as i recall i was in deep grief, like constantly felt a hurt/sad feeling for a bit under a week. then for like 2 months, the feeling faded, but I'd still think about her pretty often. i suppose the thing that best made me feel better was knowing that she had a happy and pampered life and everyone spoiled her.

but other than that, i haven't had such a heavy grieving process. my grandfather led a long and (what i consider) successful life when he passed on, and i've lost a couple of not-so-close friends that i felt sorrow about, but not something that consumed me.

my cat Smokey will be likely to go in the next few years. she's 12 now and the longest i've had a pet, so i know i will be pretty distraught when she goes. and i've thought about it and tried hugging her as much as i can when i go back to parents' home where Smokey is.

i think i'd be most devastated when my mom dies. strangely enough, i've had dreams where she dies and they are the worst ones i have (well, most relieving to wake up from.) literally, i would lose some meaning to my life, if she died, because many things i do and decisions i make, i do with her in mind, considering how she would judge my decisions/actions. i think i'd be completely withdrawn and dysfunctional for a month or more, then go into a duller constant pain for maybe a year or more. my sister and closest friends would be the next most hurtful. i might be able recover a bit sooner, but would probably go through the same processes of social withdrawal and dulled pain.
maskandlayer()|My Guide to WMM 2.x
a-m-v.org Last.fm|<a href="http://www.frappr.com/animemusicvideosdotorg">Animemusicvideos.org Frappr</a>|<a href="http://tinyurl.com/2lryta"> Editors and fans against the misattribution of AMVs</a>

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:28 pm

I've had too many people close to me die, for me its either wallow or move on... so i do the only thing i can do: move on, it might sound jaded but thats how life goes... life will go on so i might as well go on as well

also, because if i dont then i will be caught in misery forever, and i dont ever want to fall into that kind of depression again :/

Ayanefan
Org Profile

Post by Ayanefan » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:44 pm

My mom passed away in '99, we were in the hospital in the room when she died (cancer), everyone was pretty much crying except for (of course) me. Sometimes I wonder how come people grieve so much after a loved one passes away, even 10 years later some have guilt that paralizes them.

I didn't grieve much, I pretty much said that I loved my mom very much and that I have great memories of her. At the wake I was one of the few smiling persons there greeting her friends and exchanging some pleasantries. From what I've seen, people grieve for very selfish reasons.

Ayanefan
Org Profile

Post by Ayanefan » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:46 pm

ayanefan wrote:My mom passed away in '99, we were in the hospital in the room when she died (cancer), everyone was pretty much crying except for (of course) me. Sometimes I wonder how come people grieve so much after a loved one passes away, even 10 years later some have guilt that paralizes them.

I didn't grieve much, I pretty much said that I loved my mom very much and that I have great memories of her. At the wake I was one of the few smiling persons there greeting her friends and exchanging some pleasantries. From what I've seen, people grieve for very selfish reasons.
Sorry, just to add on, I think I'd be a total wreck if one of my children died.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:47 pm

I haven't had anyone die. I always feel horrible/awkward when someone else loses someone and I have nothing to say to them and no way to really sympathise.

That said, my grandmother has not been well for the past couple of years. As some might remember, I went to Russia last year mainly to look after her for a while. (I would do this again if I could afford to :( ). It was quite sad actually since in a way that is also quite a loss by now; she was a really active, intellectually-sharp and opinionated person for most of her life and as long as I knew her, but now she can hardly leave the house (which I know feels terrible to her), and her dementia is advanced far enough that she can't really be intellectually-involved with anything either (not to mention it's very hard to talk to her). I always wanted to go back to Russia and see her after I left, but when I came back I quickly realized that I was too late in a way. What was a big relief to me is that she was still absolutely happy to see me and very thankful for what I did for her that summer. I honestly consider looking after her the most worthwhile thing I did in my life so far. I hope I have a chance to do that one more time before she goes. I know I'll be sad but, really, as with all my grandparents... they lived a very goood, if very difficult life, and I think all of them should have few regrets. It is sad what age does to some people, though.

As far as someone of a younger age passing away... god forbid, that's all I can say! I honestly have no idea how I'd react.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:48 pm

i can count on one hand how many human deaths i've cried over. (guess i should exclude pets all together)
i'm not saying i don't feel sad for the others.
maybe it's just cause i'm still young and havn't had enough very close people around me die.

of the ones i cared alot about i have things to remind me of them.
i have a dolphin necklace hanging from the mirror in my car - my aunt who died of cancer was found of them.

i'll make a post for pets if the topic sways that way
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:50 pm

ayanefan wrote:Sometimes I wonder how come people grieve so much after a loved one passes away, even 10 years later some have guilt that paralizes them.
That's what really frightens me. I like to think that I would not let something like that 'get' me, but I know that's not how it really works, and if there's anything I'm afraid of - it's being 'paralyzed' like that and unable to function properly. I'm more afraid of that than I am of dying, I think :|

I've known several people who went through it like that. It's pretty hard. I know my mom's friend was really out-of-function for 3 years after her mother died, even if her mother wasn't all that young.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:00 pm

the only way you will be stuck in a depression for 10 years is if you allow yourself to be stuck in it...

Shazzy
Org Profile

Post by Shazzy » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:03 pm

Otohiko wrote:I haven't had anyone die. I always feel horrible/awkward when someone else loses someone and I have nothing to say to them and no way to really sympathise.
Same..

I've had relatives die, but my family moved 2000 miles away from the rest of the family. I hardly knew any of them.

I cried for a week straight when my cat (which I'd had for seven years) died. I think part of it was I saw him get hit by a car. His skull was smashed and his brains and eyes were spread all over the street. I was home alone and ended up shoveling his body off the street into a box.
AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV
Quarter-life crisis: a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you.

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:57 pm

Well, I've lost three people in the last three months whom I have known since I was 5. They were all my mentors, and all related to me. I've also lost a friend in my school due to drinking and driving. Two others in my class are comatose, getting hit by a Diesel Truck going full speed. So this hasn't been the best year of my life. :?

How I cope: I just kind of turn myself off. I get into a state that makes me basically not feeling anything. Remorse, happiness, sadness, greif, whatever. I also tend to read alot during this period of time, and turn quiet. Then about a month later, I'll turn myself back on and return to my normal obnoxious, loud self.

Return to “General Discussion”