"Hell, it's about time." [SC2 discussion]

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash
Org Profile

"Hell, it's about time." [SC2 discussion]

Post by dokool » Sat May 19, 2007 8:36 pm

So, the game we've been waiting a decade for was finally announced.

Thoughts? I know we haven't heard jack shit about the other two races, but the Protoss seem wildly overpowered.

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Sat May 19, 2007 9:22 pm

I'm assuming each race got just as big a overhaul as the protoss but it's just that the demo focused on the protoss so that's what we know about. Blizzard is usually pretty good at balancing their races. I also note that in at least one interview they talked about how SC was going to be large numbers of troops going at each other and there's also <a href="http://us.media.blizzard.com/starcraft2 ... .jpg">this image</a> which has got to be at least 70 or 80 zerglings if not more. Apparently the troop limit has been vastly raised which should lend more opportunity for varied forces than previous blizzard RTS games.

One thing I can tell offhand I don't like, it's a 3d engine. I thought that was the biggest waste of fucking computing power in WC3, although actually the entire game was a waste of computing power, and apparently they stuck with it for SCII as well. Motherfuckers. Everyone knows a true RTS should be top down sprite based. It just feels too much like third person view Halo otherwise.

badmartialarts
Bad Martial Artist
Org Profile

Post by badmartialarts » Sat May 19, 2007 10:20 pm

Meh, now that Supreme Commander is out pretty much every other RTS game might as well throw away their graphics engines and just go back to Kingdom of Kroz-esque ASCII art...

Still, so far, it looks decent, I will be happy to look into getting this in 2010 when I get out of the Army...:O
Life's short.
eBayhard.

downwithpants
BIG PICTURE person
Org Profile

Post by downwithpants » Sat May 19, 2007 10:32 pm

hrm, it looks like the original starcraft with a new 3d engine. no new races? i hope something new is thrown into the mix, not just a few new units and abilities.

still a shiny re-release of starcraft wouldn't be bad- it was a great game, as close to perfect as i've seen from a game.
maskandlayer()|My Guide to WMM 2.x
a-m-v.org Last.fm|<a href="http://www.frappr.com/animemusicvideosdotorg">Animemusicvideos.org Frappr</a>|<a href="http://tinyurl.com/2lryta"> Editors and fans against the misattribution of AMVs</a>

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Sat May 19, 2007 11:02 pm

downwithpants wrote:hrm, it looks like the original starcraft with a new 3d engine. no new races? i hope something new is thrown into the mix, not just a few new units and abilities.

still a shiny re-release of starcraft wouldn't be bad- it was a great game, as close to perfect as i've seen from a game.
Personally I'm glad there's no new races. The WC universe went to shit after Blizzard seemed to think the more races they threw in the better. WCIII never did really get the races balanced right because they had too many. SC had a nice balance of human counters protoss who counter zerg who counter human going on and it's nice to know that isn't being fucked up by tossing in more races just because they can. Besides, if you think about it going from the original WC to WCII didn't add new sides but it was still a vastly improved game. Although these days maybe I'm one of the few that actually remembers playing either WC or WCII.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sat May 19, 2007 11:18 pm

ZEEEEEEEEEEEEEERG RUUUUUUUSH!

I don't play video games and have nothing else to contribute to this conversation.

That is all.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sat May 19, 2007 11:37 pm

Kionon wrote:ZEEEEEEEEEEEEEERG RUUUUUUUSH!

I don't play video games and have nothing else to contribute to this conversation.

That is all.
To the point where you forgot it was ZEEEEEERGLING RUUUUSH! :roll:
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Inaaca
Org Profile

Post by Inaaca » Sun May 20, 2007 12:03 am

No one goes through the trouble to actually say zergling rush anymore. Zerg rush, lolz.

All joking aside though, it's great to see that Blizzard is actually giving a sequel to a game that isn't Warcraft. I've certainly been wanting a sequel to SC for a long time, and personally I never thought I'd actually see them do it, but whaddaya know. Good times, an upgrade to an already great game. I'll surely get a copy of this.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Sun May 20, 2007 12:30 am

So, you think we're going to see a WoS?
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

downwithpants
BIG PICTURE person
Org Profile

Post by downwithpants » Sun May 20, 2007 12:31 am

godix wrote:Personally I'm glad there's no new races. The WC universe went to shit after Blizzard seemed to think the more races they threw in the better. WCIII never did really get the races balanced right because they had too many. SC had a nice balance of human counters protoss who counter zerg who counter human going on and it's nice to know that isn't being fucked up by tossing in more races just because they can. Besides, if you think about it going from the original WC to WCII didn't add new sides but it was still a vastly improved game. Although these days maybe I'm one of the few that actually remembers playing either WC or WCII.
it doesn't have to be new races, but something should be new. the difference between wc and wcii wasn't just new units and better graphics, but also changes in playability (not having to build along roads... and i don't know what else, didn't play the original wc) starcraft allowed you to hotkey your groups, plus the whole unique races thing. wciii had the heroes rpgish thing and neutral creeps. basically, i'm hoping it's more than just another expansion for starcraft.
Inaaca wrote:All joking aside though, it's great to see that Blizzard is actually giving a sequel to a game that isn't Warcraft. I've certainly been wanting a sequel to SC for a long time, and personally I never thought I'd actually see them do it, but whaddaya know. Good times, an upgrade to an already great game. I'll surely get a copy of this.
they sequeled diablo. coincidentally, the animation in diablo 2 was a lot more cartoonish and less dark, and from the sc2 screenshots it looks to be going in the same direction with starcraft.
maskandlayer()|My Guide to WMM 2.x
a-m-v.org Last.fm|<a href="http://www.frappr.com/animemusicvideosdotorg">Animemusicvideos.org Frappr</a>|<a href="http://tinyurl.com/2lryta"> Editors and fans against the misattribution of AMVs</a>

Return to “General Discussion”