I put on my robe and wizard hat: Harry Potter Movie 5/Book 7

This forum is for members to discuss topics that do not relate to anime music videos.

Postby SilversLightning » Wed May 16, 2007 1:00 pm

Now I'm half tempted too. Thanks :roll: :lol:
but you're gonna have to give me a couple of months because I don't actually own a HP costume ATM
SilversLightning
Resident Yaoi Fangirl

Postby godix » Wed May 16, 2007 4:20 pm

Actually I got a question and despite the sneering tone of it, I actually do wonder about this.

At the end of one of the movies Harry did nothing. Absolutely nothing. The phoenix racked up several thousand air miles saving his worthless butt from getting kicked though. I mean that little deus ex machina flew in like three fucking times while Harrys just standing around pissing his pants. Hell, the sole heroic deed harry eventually managed to do was defacing a book. Anyone drawing mustaches on their teachers in the school yearbook is just as heroic as Harry (and without the phoenix bailing them out of trouble over and over and over again mind you).

So my question is, was that scene accurate to the books? Are these novels so horribly written that the hero does nothing while lame ass deus ex machina's have to save the story? Not just once, but several times. I'm just curious if the movie just fucked up or if all potter fandom is the equivalent to that one really fat otaku who keeps going on and on about how great Goku is and how the latest naruto fight was so emotional they almost cried while even other otaku are saying 'dude, just get a fucking life'.
godix
a disturbed member

Postby JaddziaDax » Wed May 16, 2007 4:42 pm

they got that scene right, but it was more of a plot device that they arent even going to touch on untill the 6th movie :/
JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!

Postby Orwell » Wed May 16, 2007 4:43 pm

Not sure about the movies, but what I remember from the books, yeah. Deus ex machina all the way. No personal strength really tapped, nor immense suffering felt as it all falls apart with Harry to rise up.
Latest
[Kristyrat]: Vote for Orwell
[Kristyrat]: because train conducters are dicks.
Otohiko: whereas Germans are like "god we are all so horrible, we're going to die a pointless death now."
Orwell
godx, Son of godix

Postby SilversLightning » Wed May 16, 2007 5:32 pm

godix wrote:Actually I got a question and despite the sneering tone of it, I actually do wonder about this.

At the end of one of the movies Harry did nothing. Absolutely nothing. The phoenix racked up several thousand air miles saving his worthless butt from getting kicked though. I mean that little deus ex machina flew in like three fucking times while Harrys just standing around pissing his pants. Hell, the sole heroic deed harry eventually managed to do was defacing a book. Anyone drawing mustaches on their teachers in the school yearbook is just as heroic as Harry (and without the phoenix bailing them out of trouble over and over and over again mind you).

So my question is, was that scene accurate to the books? Are these novels so horribly written that the hero does nothing while lame ass deus ex machina's have to save the story? Not just once, but several times. I'm just curious if the movie just fucked up or if all potter fandom is the equivalent to that one really fat otaku who keeps going on and on about how great Goku is and how the latest naruto fight was so emotional they almost cried while even other otaku are saying 'dude, just get a fucking life'.

yeah that was right. I thought the phoenix was the best character in that film :lol:
SilversLightning
Resident Yaoi Fangirl

Postby Arigatomina » Thu May 17, 2007 2:09 am

Orwell wrote:Not sure about the movies, but what I remember from the books, yeah. Deus ex machina all the way. No personal strength really tapped, nor immense suffering felt as it all falls apart with Harry to rise up.

Yeah, but do you get the feeling everything *but* Harry is doing the rising? Seems to me he just sunk deeper and deeper into emo-syndrome while everyone else was gathering strength for the new menace coming up. He emo's his way through 2.5 books before he finds snogging as a healthy alternative to angsting and whining. I really cringe at the idea of what new low he'll sink to in the new book.

On that note, is this the last book? I really like the universe, but it hurts thinking that it's a universe where Harry is the best Hero they come up with. Too depressing. The older he gets, the less likable. >.<
Arigatomina

Postby Nessephanie » Thu May 17, 2007 3:32 am

I really love the series, but not so much that I would dress up. I would go to a midnight showing and stuff though, and I read the entire books the day of release. I've personally had no problems so far with the characters and story...I'm just curious to see where it goes *shrugs*
Nessephanie
Cookie Monster

Postby JaddziaDax » Thu May 17, 2007 6:25 am

Arigatomina wrote:On that note, is this the last book?

yes
JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!

Postby Athena » Thu May 17, 2007 9:13 am

JaddziaDax wrote:
Arigatomina wrote:On that note, is this the last book?

yes

Maybe not. JKR has told reporters that she is considering writing an eighth book, the proceeds of which would go entirely to charity.*

*source: San Francisco Chronicle
Athena
I ♥ the 80's

Postby SilversLightning » Thu May 17, 2007 3:21 pm

that's Ginny o.O damn she got old XD
SilversLightning
Resident Yaoi Fangirl

Postby Kusoyaro » Thu May 17, 2007 3:50 pm

I'll catch the movie at a matinee, possibly opening weekend. As for the book, I'll either wait til the library has it or I'll borrow it from a friend after they're done with it. I own all the HP paperbacks, so I'm not about to sully my collection with a hardcover :P The paperbacks are fun because you can see how comically huge Order of the Phoenix is. You can kill large people with it.
I have no idea how to use this new forum.
Kusoyaro
LEGENDARY!!!

Postby CodeZTM » Thu May 17, 2007 4:35 pm

I loved harry potter up until the fourth book. Then J.K just seems to be beating a dead horse that can't be beat no more. I'll probably online order the book and wait for the DVD to come out. I'm not as diehard fandomness as I once was.
CodeZTM
Spin Me Round

Postby SilversLightning » Thu May 17, 2007 5:42 pm

I dunno I thought it got better after the third book, the first two were really slow :/ I think the fifth was her best in my opinion, but that's probably because it was the longest and I like longer books because it challenges my short attention span. I actually read that whole book in a day and was so proud of myself *^_^*
SilversLightning
Resident Yaoi Fangirl

Postby Kitsuner » Thu May 17, 2007 7:52 pm

Arigatomina wrote:Yeah, but do you get the feeling everything *but* Harry is doing the rising? Seems to me he just sunk deeper and deeper into emo-syndrome while everyone else was gathering strength for the new menace coming up. He emo's his way through 2.5 books before he finds snogging as a healthy alternative to angsting and whining. I really cringe at the idea of what new low he'll sink to in the new book.

Maybe that's Harry's purpose: to make the people around him stronger by comparison. :/
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]
Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness

Postby badmartialarts » Thu May 17, 2007 8:41 pm

Life's short.
eBayhard.
badmartialarts
Bad Martial Artist

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion