Anime: Seriously Japan, wtf?

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:36 pm

Ileia wrote:
godix wrote:Aqua Teen Hunger Force?
I remember laughing my ass off at TV Guide's description of that show. "A shake, a box of fries, and a ball of meat that fight crime."

(I was not aware that crime-fighting was anywhere in there, but apparently it was some sort of vague premise for a short while)
yea for like 5 episodes (maybe more? in the first season) when Dr Weird would release some random monster on the world... they would have to stop it.... whatever "it" was, but its not like they went out of their way to stop it, they happened to be in the same place O.o

jubjub2
Org Profile

Post by jubjub2 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:26 pm

wurpess wrote:
guy07 wrote:Yeah ...but when u get a 'normal' anime with a normal plot about school or something ...it ends up fucked up anyways, take School Rumble or Azumanga, nothing special, just normal people ...cept one revolves around ADD children and the other a main charcter who doesn't even drink beer, yet acts the bad ass.
i have of yet to see a anime that seems 'normal' in any aspect. if u ask me, it's all fucked up.
Yeah, My mom ended up watching Azumanga with me and ended up loving it. . .then attempted to tell her other middle age, suburban, office coworkers about it the next day. Yeah, she said they all looked at her like she was on drugs. :roll:
I get those looks alllll the time....

And x2 on anything by Douglas Adams. The Dirk Gently series especially.

Shazzy
Org Profile

Post by Shazzy » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:09 am

Eh, most movies/anime exaggerate their characters and their plot. Since when is ANY character really "locked in" to a decision like they are in most narratives? Since when does a relationship emulate The Notebook? There are elements of truth in most stories, but the whole package is pretty unreal...even when the creators are attempting to recreate a true story. I mean, you've got the huge emotional scene with the orchestral score in the background and the closeup of someone crying and everything in slow motion and...yeah, when was the last time you really experienced something THAT artistic?

Honestly, though, that's why I lLIKE cinema/anime and I don't like reality TV. It's also why I prefer sci-fi/fantasy over sitcoms. I have enough stuff to worry about without watching someone else's problems. Give me a movie that ties everything up nicely and happily...or at least a movie that is different enough from reality that it's not a reminder of how screwed up the world is.
AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV
Quarter-life crisis: a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you.

guy07
Org Profile

Post by guy07 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:50 pm

yeah, we know all that stuff already. This thread was more intended to make us question why we enjoy (and some even obsess) something so retarded.
I blame the pretty colors and little girls, gets you every time.

And btw, there's tons of movies and tv shows that almost mimic my day to day life. Ever seen Harold and Kumar to go White Castle? :roll:

Shazzy
Org Profile

Post by Shazzy » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

guy07 wrote:yeah, we know all that stuff already. This thread was more intended to make us question why we enjoy (and some even obsess) something so retarded.
Utter stupidity makes us feel smarter?
AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV
Quarter-life crisis: a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you.

Orwell
godx, Son of godix
Org Profile

Post by Orwell » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:29 am

guy07 wrote:This thread was more intended to make us question why we enjoy (and some even obsess) something so retarded.
Why do people read the bible? The same reason; people love stories of out of the ordinary events. I fail to see how anime is different from any other set of mythos and stories people have enjoyed for millenia.
Latest
[Kristyrat]: Vote for Orwell
[Kristyrat]: because train conducters are dicks.
Otohiko: whereas Germans are like "god we are all so horrible, we're going to die a pointless death now."

requiett
Org Profile

Post by requiett » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:23 am

guy07
Org Profile

Post by guy07 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:27 am

....people read the bible? Maybe i should knock that instead, any devout Christians in here? :P

I don't care how strange our fiction seems, anime has a WTF factor of 3 times that of ours. I mean, half of them don't have noses! they are mostly suppose to be Asian, but half of them look white!
And the hair! "Hey, that's a good idea ...solid plot ... but lets give her purple hair, its prettier!" :?

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:52 am

:( i know people with purple hair

guy07
Org Profile

Post by guy07 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:14 am

i feel your pain :(

Return to “General Discussion”