This forum is for members to discuss topics that do not relate to anime music videos.

Postby Minion » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:43 am

i dined in hell for the midnight premiere.

i like to nit pick on the motion graphics though. they had some snow that could have been better. a couple of parts with blood splatter too.

there was grain all through the movie too. since this was greenscreened mostly, should i rule out it being a bad capture, and assume that it was a grain filter added intentionally?

the movie itself was awsome. the king does NOT put up with shit.
:up:
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes
Minion

Postby Otohiko » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:14 am

I take that as a good rec from one of the early viewers.

Me and a bunch of my classmates are going to see it sometime next week at an IMAX. Should be good times.
Otohiko

Postby dokool » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:19 am

Otohiko wrote:I take that as a good rec from one of the early viewers.

Me and a bunch of my classmates are going to see it sometime next week at an IMAX. Should be good times.

A little part of me dies inside every time someone on my LJ friends list posts about seeing it in IMAX.

...but at least we get Spiderman 5 days early! That's pretty cool, right?

...right?

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash

Postby SQ » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:02 am

I'm going to imax to see it either today or tomorrow. ;D

But the grain might just be from Quicktime's inherent... Quicktime-y-ness. Couldn't tell you because I haven't seen it yet. Maybe they were trying to pretend it was film, in which case you'd want [a little] grain. -shrugs- Who knows.
-SQ™
Changes are good. Wait until you've seen mine.
Latest video - Family (Oct 3, 2013)
SQ
Doesn't have a title

Postby Minion » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:09 am

it didn't look like grain from a bad capture. it looks like a grain filter.

[spoiler]the movie started with a flashback, so i thought the grain was just for the flashback. but then it never went away[/spoiler]
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes
Minion

Postby requiett » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:33 pm

Yeah, I also hit up the premiere last night. I can't imagine there will be another epic as fucking awesome as this for many a year.
requiett

Postby Flint the Dwarf » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:36 pm

I'm going to see it, enjoy it, and criticize it in every way I can, because I think it's going to be ridiculous. :up:
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.
Flint the Dwarf

Postby JudgeHolden » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:47 pm

The only movie that rivals this is Ishtar .... :roll:

I think we might have a new king ....

Poor Dustin Hoffman ... :cry:
ImageImageImageImage
JudgeHolden

Postby NeoQuixotic » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:32 pm

Saw it tonight. Liked it ^_^! Nuff said.
Insert clever text/image here.
NeoQuixotic
Master Procrastinator

Postby Shazzy » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:04 am

Flint the Dwarf wrote:I'm going to see it, enjoy it, and criticize it in every way I can, because I think it's going to be ridiculous. :up:

Looked to me like all style and no substance, but I'll guess I'll see :\
AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV
Quarter-life crisis: a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you.
Shazzy

Postby SQ » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:42 pm

Well I saw it at IMAX. It was so big, and so awesome, that I could smell and FEEL the action.

However, the colors were so over-saturated I thought my eyes were going to explode. Not that it didn't look good, it was just like.... A really big workout for my retinas. They still hurt. =(

Regardless, the grain just looks like standard quicktime grain except in the extremely grainy parts, where I think it was intentional because they wanted it to look like a greek panting, maybe?

I don't know. Some of the stuff I didn't understand. Like the blood, for instance. Was it just me or did 80% of that blood look like a no-edited AfterEffects preset splatter?
The friend I went to see it with said it might be because they were trying to make this look like a comic book.

Meh. I say they were trying to make this thing look like one too many things. You can't make it look like a greek painting AND a comic book, and expect everything to just flow right.
For example, the [spoiler]mutant-type guys. The inbred priest people looked fairly realistic, but when the hunchback guy came along, it was like "Hello mr. overdone make-up and bodysuit. How are you today?"[/spoiler]

What I also didn't understand were the nipples. Don't get me wrong, nipples are great, but every time you saw one it was ROCK HARD. It's like... Nipples actually get THAT hard? It was a little awkward for me.

All in all I loved the movie, but it seemed like it could've used a little more time in post. Needless to say, my favorite parts were the greek painting thing near the end, and then the ending credit sequence. Great examples of why this thing didn't flow (stylistically) very well, but I still liked them anyway.[/spoiler]
-SQ™
Changes are good. Wait until you've seen mine.
Latest video - Family (Oct 3, 2013)
SQ
Doesn't have a title

Postby Minion » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:05 pm

SQ wrote:I don't know. Some of the stuff I didn't understand. Like the blood, for instance. Was it just me or did 80% of that blood look like a no-edited AfterEffects preset splatter?
The friend I went to see it with said it might be because they were trying to make this look like a comic book.

thats what i was thinking. because alot of the blood splatter looked like the same preset from the closing credit animation.

as far as nipple, i don't know. does it get cold in greece?
Minion

Postby Shazzy » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:47 pm

Minion wrote:
as far as nipple, i don't know. does it get cold in greece?

Greek climate is pretty much San Diego CA
AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV
Quarter-life crisis: a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you.
Shazzy

Postby rubyeye » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:46 pm

Here are my thoughts which I've been posting on other forums:

I watched the night before on The HISTORY CHANNEL a documentary called "The Last Stand of The 300", which basically told the real story of the Battle of Thermopylae. That gave me a good perspective on how to approach seeing this film, since I have never heard of this story or read the graphic novel by Frank Miller.

After seeing the film, I can say that the context of the film is historically accurate - that is the location, the armies, the main heroes - at least as far as the mythology of this battle has been told over the centuries. The actual presentation of this film, taken from Miller's interpretation (perhaps too literally) was simply a wonderful piece of filmmaking utilizing the technologies of today to create a hyper-stylized view of the Spartan warrior culture.

The are many parallels to other films one can draw, such as Conan, Braveheart, Gladiator and perhaps even Fight Club to a degree. But what constantly came to my mind was the band MANOWAR. Even though they are more focused on Norse Mythology, I couldn't help but feel that this is their kind of movie and that fans of MANOWAR (admittedly or not) will like this film.

We need strong male-centric movies like this every now and then. It made me want to go straight to the gym and get ripped myself.

I also really love the soundtrack!
rubyeye

Postby downwithpants » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:38 am

it was entertaining to watch. i really liked all the costume designs. and the cg looked good and didn't stick out for the most part, although the gore never really looked realistic.

the story was pretty straight forward, very Gladiator-esque. i didn't like the queen's acting and the dialogue was all around poor imo.

it seemed to imitate other successful movies, gladiator (the walking through the wheat fields, the reminiscing about the hotty wife), lord of the rings (the no. of kills competition), matrix (we must consult the oracle...).

and from what i remember from world history class, the greeks used two handed spears in phalanxes.
maskandlayer()|My Guide to WMM 2.x
a-m-v.org Last.fm|<a href="http://www.frappr.com/animemusicvideosdotorg">Animemusicvideos.org Frappr</a>|<a href="http://tinyurl.com/2lryta"> Editors and fans against the misattribution of AMVs</a>
downwithpants
BIG PICTURE person

Next

Return to General Discussion