Who is a donator, demographically speaking?

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Who is a donator, demographically speaking?

Post by Kionon » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:22 pm

I'm curious. Seems to me most of the donators are people who are a mix of these general traits:

A) Editors, usually prolific ones, with entries entered into the database.
B) Earlier Join Dates.
C) Otherwise very active in the community (post counts, conventions, panels, articles or guides, etc, etc...)

It also appears there just aren't very many of us talking or communicating with each other. And the percentage according to the stats versus the amount of registered org members is tiny. I guess less than 1200 total out of 800,000 registered members? But I don't know a thousand editors that have donated, so am I wrong? And the stats only track people who donate at least $12 annually, so what about the people who sent Phade $5 and nothing more?

And finally, since Golden Donut become operational, just how much money has been actually raised? And how much does the Org need? I've yet to see a "Donate or Die" fundraiser for the Org, is it that we don't need it? Surely there are admittedly personal reasons I ask. I've donated all of $24 and, frankly, I could do more if it was needed, but I cannot figure out for the life of me how much money is needed. Not wanted, not "would be nice to have," but actually needed.

Doki, Kusoyaro, does anyone have these details?
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:30 pm

People with cash (>$12) to blow. :P

I'm surprised some of the regular/addicted posters don't donate though; angelx03 is a prime example of that.

Otherwise I think the .org is in a sort of zone where there's kinda enough; I'm sure the google ads (are those still around?) bring something in.

I hope it's a sign that the system works, that's all. I tend to donate to communities where I stick around; I donated to the .org before and now I have an excuse to keep up with it annually. If we do get a gauge of how much the .org needs, then I'm also willing to donate a bit more. So far I've been keeping up $12/year level for the duration of my membership here.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:27 pm

I donated for the carrot. It was that or wait a few months and see if local really did end up being free for everyone. Then I made a crapload of vids so I kept donating. Even without the forum, I'd have kept donating for the file hosting service.

I've been waiting for the site to get so big they start "asking" for larger donations from editors with vids on local. They could guilt trip by giving cost per gig of bandwidth used stats. I figure we'll know when the org gets that desperate because they'll start letting us disable our own locally hosted videos in order to save money.

I'd be surprised if viewers did a good portion of the donations. It's the editors who are saving money by using the site as a free host. But now that we have more free file hosting sites like megaupload, there's less reason for the local host.

If we get desperate, they can disable all locally hosted videos gradually until we're using the free file hosting site we like best.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:32 pm

i donated cause i got sick of feeling like a leech...

>.>

Kristyrat
Time-traveling penguin
Org Profile

Post by Kristyrat » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:46 pm

My donation was a Christmas present.. from someone else >_>

I guess that's a little like hooking someone on crack, because now I <strike>have</strike> want to pay the yearly dues :amv:

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:32 pm

>_>
<_<

I know nothing!
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:51 am

AFAIK a donator is anyone to take Minion up on one of his stupid bets.

Shazzy
Org Profile

Post by Shazzy » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:09 am

Probably a handful of active posters who don't have a nice parental unit to facilitate PayPal. I remember stuffing cash in an envelope and mailing it off to buy software...because my parents thought I spent too much money on computers...but as the site says:
it's really not a good idea to send cash through the mail
AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV
Quarter-life crisis: a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:12 am

Arigatomina wrote:I've been waiting for the site to get so big they start "asking" for larger donations from editors with vids on local. They could guilt trip by giving cost per gig of bandwidth used stats.
So, like <a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... p">this</a> except with cost figures?
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:50 am

Scintilla wrote:So, like <a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... p">this</a> except with cost figures?
Exactly. I get 200gigs a month for $11 on my site. I've been browsing another that offers the same for $5 a month (less disc space). I have no idea what the org spends.

Return to “General Discussion”