Recommended Non-Anime Movies

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:38 am

I wasn't going to sit and list EVERY good movie that I like :-o That list would be 10x as long.
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:16 am

Ileia wrote:THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA!

/me runs away
The book's better. Not that I've seen the movie, but I heard they changed things. Always default to the book.

I don't watch new movies, so I'd rec some old classics - if you haven't seen them yet, you're either 15 or you've too much good taste for your own good. Slumming recs:

Friends and Lovers (cheesy romance, cute gay guy, likable big-boobed girls)
The Return of the Living Dead (the best cheesy zombie movie ever)
Transilvania 6-5000 (so underrated)
Earth Girls are Easy (amazing how many top actors are in this corny little movie)
The Burbs (watch this, it's one of the first true cult classics, wonderfully fun)
The Butcher's Wife (cute and fresh romantic comedy, classic)
Gypsy (a fun musical, watch the end to see the perfect shaped female - that's where barbies came from)
Tank Girl (...yeah)
Creepshow (corny as hell, but lots of fun)
Westworld (a weird oldschool movie, still cool)
Warlock (hot guys, fun accents, some comedy/romance/blood, just fun)

Semi-recent mass destruction stuff:

Shawn of the Dead (better than the remake of Dawn of the Dead)
Category 6: The Day of Destruction (better than the Day after Tomorrow crap)
Land of the Dead (much better than that DotD remake crap)
The Stand (first tape or first two dvds - the second half is meh)

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:34 am

Arigatomina wrote:
Ileia wrote:THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA!

/me runs away
The book's better. Not that I've seen the movie, but I heard they changed things. Always default to the book.

I don't watch new movies, so I'd rec some old classics

Ah, but she didn't ask for books, that's the other thread.

Also, one day those new movies will be old classics. Better to get a headstart. :o

Movies I would suggest:

Memoirs of a Geisha (yeah, yeah "default to the book", but I really liked this movie, even after having read the book. I don't often watch a movie more than once - I'm such a plot-reader - but this one I found enjoyable)

And I have to echo Kung Fu Hustle, OH yeah. Awesome movie.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

Orwell
godx, Son of godix
Org Profile

Post by Orwell » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:42 am

Harold and Maude. That is all.

Sure, there's other's, but how big a list do you want of foreign films? I'd say go watch the classic films that stood the test of time. Low-budget experimental films, and pretty much any foreign language one so that you can appreciate other cultures without, you know, visiting them.
Latest
[Kristyrat]: Vote for Orwell
[Kristyrat]: because train conducters are dicks.
Otohiko: whereas Germans are like "god we are all so horrible, we're going to die a pointless death now."

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:02 am

My favorite film of all time is
Kin-Dza-Dza (USSR, 1986)
Some of you may remember it from an AMV that I made to its 'soundtrack'. It's honestly and genuinely a cult classic that is near-impossible to get subtitled. And it's amazing if you can.

Otherwise my favorites as of late include the Russian Aleksandr Nevskiy (USSR, 1938) - absolute Soviet moviemaking hardkor as witnessed by its scenes of a battle that ends up with literally hundreds of people in full armor with swords falling (as scripted) through ice in a lake in the middle of Russian winter and continue fighting - no special fucking effects there; Tarkovsky's films in general but as lately my favorites have been Stalker (USSR, 1979), Zerkalo (USSR, 1975) and Solaris (USSR, 1972) - it's rare for me to be so pretentious, but damn - if you haven't seen those titles and consider yourself a film afficionado, you fail.

An assortment of old Soviet, French and British comedies are favorites with me. Names like Nikulin, de Funes and Chaplin would be appropriate to drop here, all of them genuinely funny and just plain good.

From Germany, I believe war dramas Das Boot (West Germany, 1981) and Der Untergang (Germany, 2004) (variously known also as "Downfall" and "The Bunker") are absolutely must-watch for anyone who has even a passing interest in history - military, human or otherwise. Goodbye Lenin (Germany, 2003), though a hilariously sad tragicomedy, is a historical must-watch from another, no less traumatic period in history.

The fucking funniest movie ever, where I seriously went into hysteria several times and since which I can never look at cauliflower the same way again is Picassos äventyr (Sweden, 1978). Seriously recommended. For those with the taste for the true, unspoiled weird, I say Un Chien Andalou (France, 1929) - a film co-directed by Salvador Dali.

...well?
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:04 am

Oh, and to SQ who pondered about Mein Kampf lately - ditch it and go get the easily-accessible Triumph des Willens (Germany, 1935) (aka. "Triumph of the Will"), IMHO the greatest documentary ever filmed.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

requiett
Org Profile

Post by requiett » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:36 am

I very highly recommend Crossover. It's a very original film by talented cast and crew. It's a story about friendship, betrayals, and just playing by your own rules. There aren't enough streetball movies out there, and while this sounds like a bad idea for a movie, the execution is flawless in every detail. It's almost as if Orson Welles came back from the grave to direct this. I mean I haven't seen a movie ooze this much style since Pulp Fiction. If you see this next time you're at the rental store, PICK IT UP! You won't be disappointed!

Jnzk
Artsy Bastid
Org Profile

Post by Jnzk » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:41 am

Otohiko wrote:Oh, and to SQ who pondered about Mein Kampf lately - ditch it and go get the easily-accessible Triumph des Willens (Germany, 1935) (aka. "Triumph of the Will"), IMHO the greatest documentary ever filmed.
:up:

Going through my IMDB list, these are the films I would recommend:

Modern
Fight Club
Léon
The City of Lost Children
Pulp Fiction
Abre los ojos
Apocalypse Now (NOT director's cut)

Older
Rosemary's Baby
Komisario Palmun erehdys
M
Metropolis
Mädchen in Uniform

ASIAN
Love Letter
Oldboy
April Story
Samaria

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:07 pm

YESSSSSSSSSSSS OldBoy! And thank Otohiko, I'll look into that.

I had other movies that were awesome, but I keep forgetting what they are because I don't own them nor have them written down any where.
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

Kusoyaro
LEGENDARY!!!
Org Profile

Post by Kusoyaro » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:39 pm

Some older ones that are good:
Taxi Driver
The 400 Blows
The Passenger (the 1975 one by Antonioni)
Notorious
Vertigo
North by Northwest
The Searchers
Rio Bravo
Stray Dog (1949, Kurosawa)
McCabe & Mrs. Miller

I'm kind of a sucker for Hitchcock and westerns :o
I have no idea how to use this new forum.

Return to “General Discussion”