Reading Material?

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Nessephanie
Cookie Monster
Org Profile

Post by Nessephanie » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:30 pm

Kusoyaro wrote:I went back and reread a couple of Piers Anthony's Xanth books, which I absolutely adored when I was younger..
I never read those ones....But I absolutely loved his Incarnations of Immortality series.
I still need to buy them :\

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:34 pm

SQ wrote:YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

OMGGGGGGGGGG

DREAM COME FRICKEN' TRUE
You and me both. I remember back when Wizard's First Rule came out, my brothers and I all waited to read it. Oldest first, then older, and me last. All three of us had it finished in 5 days.
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:33 pm

Dude, when the harry potter movies came out I was like ''This is such a joke. Goodkind's stuff would be WAY better".

I didn't understand why nobody was picking it up. But I went to his website that you linked(I didn't know he had a site XD) and it said he had turned down multiple offers, so that gave me at least some shred of relief that people hadn't noticed how awesome his books are.

I really hope the mini-series is awesome. Like. The Blank room awesome.
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

starcat09
Org Profile

Post by starcat09 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:29 pm

Robin McKinley - Love her work. I just re-read Spindle's End and Rose Daughter. =) Part of what dragged me back into the fairy tales thing. <_<; I haven't tried Damar but now I'm curious.

As far as differences between Discworld and others - you're right, there really isn't. (I just happen to like some of the other characters that don't show up in the Tiffany Aching books.)

Ellen Datlow sounds familiar...yep, she worked on The Green Man and The Faery Reel. :D Both good collections of fairy stories, though young-adult oriented. They're still good reads though. I'm trying to find her other anthologies as it seems she has very good taste.

Thanks for the links to the short-story links. :D I'll read those when I actually have time.

I've read the Goodkind series of books a bit over halfway through. Then neither the library nor the local bookstores had them and I lost interest...those books are long. I'm no stranger to long books, but I just can't read ten in a row. x_X I might pick them up again later, again - when I have time.

Short story anthologies are my new thing. Firebirds is it right now.

guy07
Org Profile

Post by guy07 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:11 am

Excluding manga, i usually read exclusivly Terry Brooks novels. Though the last book i read was Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean something. Weird book, smart and well thought up but way too much emotional stuff for my liking. Needed more action, though there was a hawt rape scene where she gets done by a cave man. :P
Now i'm reading "super speed reading secrets" cuz i'm a slow ass reader. :x

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:13 pm

Bah, House of Leaves is gonna have to slip down a couple of weeks again; there's three books that I currently need to catch up on.

Our very own religion thread made me reach for "Views from the Real World" (early talks of Gurdjieff) and Nietzsche's "Thus Spake Zarathustra", both of which I'd like to re-read in light of things I've been thinking about lately.

Then there's the massive and well-illustrated tome of "United States Submarine Operations in World War II" by Roscoe, a subject in which I need a crash course due to the imminent release of Silent Hunter IV :roll:
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

starcat09
Org Profile

Post by starcat09 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:29 am

Popping in to mention an interesting site: http://www.shelfari.com. It's a site where you can make your own virtual bookshelf of books you have, or the ones you want. It seems to run partly on Amazon.com, and it includes manga. The tagging system makes it easy to sort through your books, too. You can leave opinions on books, ask questions, or just rate books.

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:55 pm

Otohiko wrote:Nietzsche's "Thus Spake Zarathustra"
Bah, I've been meaning to read that one for years and only recently remembered it because it made an appearance in Little Miss Sunshine. I really need to get to the library, but I'm always so tired.
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:02 pm

I'm reading through it and I'm pretty surprised not so much by how it echoes some of the thoughts I've been having, but by the fact that Nietzsche uses a lot of the same terminology.

Perhaps not that surprising, though, since despite not having been a keen Nietzsche reader before, I've been raised in a family where both parents highly respect his work (my father is one of the rare people who actually espouses the correct view of Nietzsche as a poet rather than philosopher per se, which I think is often forgotten in the many distortions of his work).
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:11 pm

I've always wanted to read Mein Kampf but when I had money I could never find it anywhere, and for the most part I never had money.
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

Return to “General Discussion”