Reading Material?

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Kristyrat
Time-traveling penguin
Org Profile

Post by Kristyrat » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:27 pm

Otohiko wrote:Next on the list is Danielewski's "House of Leaves", on Orwell's insistence.
Gah, I've been looking everywhere for that. /me steals O:

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:30 pm

Dude, go to Chapters (the big one next to Rideau). They have like 50 copies of the beast :P
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Moonlight Soldier
girl with bells
Org Profile

Post by Moonlight Soldier » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:14 pm

House of Leaves is awesome :up:

I'm uhh, readin' some Shakespeare and some Marlowe :P

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:22 pm

Moonlight Soldier wrote: some Shakespeare
And more specifically, praytell?

(a bit of a Shakespeare fan, myself) :roll:
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:50 pm

Moonlight Soldier wrote:House of Leaves is awesome :up:
I bought it for my brother who lives in Japan. It was a revised version, though, but it looked pretty classy. And a friend of mine has his copy signed by Danielewski. :o
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

Orwell
godx, Son of godix
Org Profile

Post by Orwell » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:12 am

Otohiko wrote:Next on the list is Danielewski's "House of Leaves", on Orwell's insistence.
Must spread House of Leaves to the donating masses. Go forth and purchase!

Uh.... I'm actively reading Dark Tower series, 5 at the moment.

I've got A History of Rome: Down to the Reign of Constantine by M. Cary and H.H Scullard to finish. I got to the late emperors, but EB's time frame doesn't extend that far, neither does my interest. I'd highly recommend it for a good overview of the empire though. Could be a little more indepth, but hey, we're covering over a millenium of history.

I've got another history book, The Isles or something like that, from even before the UK formed, up till modern days. Another good read, but again, its not exactly a page turner.

A couple manga to read. I'd have a lot more if they weren't a price rape. Some more fantasy. I've been meaning to get a couple economic books along with, if I can ever get Oto to point out a good one to start with, some linguistic books.
Latest
[Kristyrat]: Vote for Orwell
[Kristyrat]: because train conducters are dicks.
Otohiko: whereas Germans are like "god we are all so horrible, we're going to die a pointless death now."

dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash
Org Profile

Post by dokool » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:06 am

godix wrote:American Gods - Read Anansi Boys recently and wanna re-read this since I forgot half of it
How was Anansi Boys? I have a trade paperback sitting on my shelf but I haven't opened it yet.

Also, House of Leaves = win. I thought about bringing my copy with me (I also brought a couple of my worn favorites - namely, Snow Crash and Ender's Game), but then I realized that none of my Japanese friends would even begin to comprehend it if I loaned it to them.

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:03 pm

i keep meaning to post dokool's 24 badge. i need to find where i put that nerdy thing :roll:
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes

Kusoyaro
LEGENDARY!!!
Org Profile

Post by Kusoyaro » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:34 pm

Flint the Dwarf wrote:
Arigatomina wrote:Oh, no, don't tell me that Hearts in Atlantis is going to be important in book 5. :x
I got HiA for christmas a while back and hate it. I'm a King fan, even, but wow is that a boring book. If that's where the Dark Tower series is headed, I'd say skip HiA and pick up Talisman - King and Straub (I think that's the name). There's a sequel to that, too, but the sequel sucked compared to the first book.
Talisman and Black House. I accidentally read Black House first, and frankly I loved it. But it ruined parts of the Talisman for me. But both are great books with relations to the Dark Tower series, I think.

And, no, HiA has nothing to do with book 5. I did see the HiA movie, and apparently the group of people that were hunting Anthony Hopkins' character play a part in book 6. I didn't ask too much why I needed to read HiA.
First, holy crap, Hearts in Atlantis and Black House are both amazing...if you think they sucked, then...I dunno :/ I read Hearts in Atlantis in one day.

Also, Flint -- Hearts in Atlantis isn't important until book 7 :P I must have told you wrong or something. So go ahead and read book 6. Also, before reading book 7, make sure you read the short story Everything's Eventual, which is in the Everything's Eventual short story compilation.
I have no idea how to use this new forum.

*inverse*
Org Profile

Post by *inverse* » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:54 pm

I'm currently obsessing over Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles :P

Return to “General Discussion”