Reading Material?

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Ch3aLs3A L!n@
Org Profile

Post by Ch3aLs3A L!n@ » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:53 pm

dokool wrote:
Minion wrote:i keep meaning to post dokool's 24 badge. i need to find where i put that nerdy thing :roll:
Given that I've already posted myself in a suit standing outside Adobe's offices, I don't see how my TFing can top that :P
Image...... too much airflow... no I think is from the inside of his brian pop out Image

dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash
Org Profile

Post by dokool » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:29 pm

Ch3aLs3A L!n@ wrote:
dokool wrote:
Minion wrote:i keep meaning to post dokool's 24 badge. i need to find where i put that nerdy thing :roll:
Given that I've already posted myself in a suit standing outside Adobe's offices, I don't see how my TFing can top that :P
Image...... too much airflow... no I think is from the inside of his brian pop out Image
I can't tell if you're writing in English or Retarded. Clarify?

Ch3aLs3A L!n@
Org Profile

Post by Ch3aLs3A L!n@ » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:49 pm

:lol: XDD

ur cool nerd :lol:

dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
Org Profile

Post by dokidoki » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:33 pm

dokool wrote:I can't tell if you're writing in English or Retarded. Clarify?
Bago ka bumati ng sa ibang uling, uling mo muna ang iyong pahirin.
Image Image Image
"Comedy is a dying breed." -- kisanzi // "Comedy. Serious business." -- dokidoki

SarahtheBoring
Org Profile

Post by SarahtheBoring » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:38 pm

Finished the Battle Royale manga yesterday. Which is ten percent reading and ninety percent "if that character repeats that same line one more time, my head is going to explode." Clutch shot! Clutch shot! No love for Mitsu! Seal of approval! Do right by her! Do right by her! Clutch shot! ...!

I have the BR novel, but have no interest in reading it. It was sickly entertaining once, but running twice through the same story in a row is kind of a slog. Which I hate to admit to the person who lent it to me, y'know?

Before that was some boring nonfiction (Against Depression, which was OK, but not what I thought it was; and Who Stole Feminism?, which was OK and exactly what I thought it was) and The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, which was fun. Michael Chabon gets a lot of attention around here, but I hadn't read any of his books before. It was intentionally pulpy, but didn't seem drippingly condescending and "ironic." I appreciate that.

Before that, it was a handful of pulp series - Earthsea, The Dresden Files (which are not remotely as terrible as the TV show) and Discworld - coming off an intermittent tear of Haruki Murakami novels. Even though I still haven't liked any of them quite as much as Hard-Boiled Wonderland & the End of the World, the first one I read. :(

Now, the only thing I have left is a compilation of Harlan Ellison short stories which could be used to bludgeon somebody to death. I suspect since a lot of it came from the '60s, some of it is good and some of it is masturbatory pomo crap, but we'll just have to see.

/very bored reader of lots and lots of very trashy fiction

dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash
Org Profile

Post by dokool » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:40 pm

SarahtheBoring wrote:Finished the Battle Royale manga yesterday. Which is ten percent reading and ninety percent "if that character repeats that same line one more time, my head is going to explode." Clutch shot! Clutch shot! No love for Mitsu! Seal of approval! Do right by her! Do right by her! Clutch shot! ...!

I have the BR novel, but have no interest in reading it. It was sickly entertaining once, but running twice through the same story in a row is kind of a slog. Which I hate to admit to the person who lent it to me, y'know?
It's a pity you wore yourself out on the manga, b/c the novel is actually the best version of the story overall IMHO.

Ch3aLs3A L!n@
Org Profile

Post by Ch3aLs3A L!n@ » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:46 pm

dokidoki wrote:
dokool wrote:I can't tell if you're writing in English or Retarded. Clarify?
Bago ka bumati ng sa ibang uling, uling mo muna ang iyong pahirin.
huh! Image wow.... kabaro ko ata yan. Image

*snickers* Damn... Image I can't open this shit! :lol:

dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
Org Profile

Post by dokidoki » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:25 pm

Ch3aLs3A L!n@ wrote:
dokidoki wrote:Bago ka bumati ng sa ibang uling, uling mo muna ang iyong pahirin.
Hindi ako marunong mag-Tagalog. :sweat: Alám ko Google. :)
Image Image Image
"Comedy is a dying breed." -- kisanzi // "Comedy. Serious business." -- dokidoki

Ch3aLs3A L!n@
Org Profile

Post by Ch3aLs3A L!n@ » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:47 pm

dokidoki wrote:
Ch3aLs3A L!n@ wrote:
dokidoki wrote:Bago ka bumati ng sa ibang uling, uling mo muna ang iyong pahirin.
Hindi ako marunong mag-Tagalog. :sweat: Alám ko Google. :)
Imageow! ...... I z ImageImage

Image Alam ko lang too Google, Altavista and Yahoo!Image

SarahtheBoring
Org Profile

Post by SarahtheBoring » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:11 am

dokool wrote:It's a pity you wore yourself out on the manga, b/c the novel is actually the best version of the story overall IMHO.
Oh, I think I'm up for reading it - just not back to back. I'll probably give it back and borrow it again later.

I had wondered whether the novel had enough time/space to develop the side characters a little more - a lot of the one-shot-ness around the edges in the manga was just due to having an insanely large cast and a short series. So that's good to know. :)

(And I wouldn't say that the central characters were badly done in the manga, even if repetition of key flashbacks wore me out sometimes. The author(s) even used repetition to good effect at times by changing the context. That sounded so dry, but I'm trying not to ramble on spoilerifically. Anyway.)

Return to “General Discussion”