VCA Category suggestion Discussion

This forum is for members to discuss topics that do not relate to anime music videos.

VCA Category suggestion Discussion

Postby SQ » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:54 pm

People spammed the category suggestion form thing, and some of them were quite funny. Since it's dynamic and I don't think all of them will be listed all the time, here's the ones I could see.
*Most Original Video
This isn't really another category... It's just something else to take into account when judging an original video. over the many videos I've watched, I've also come across music that I would have otherwise never heard and there are also genres of music which are underused. How about taking music into consideration when juding the originality of a video as well.
REASON REJECTED: Not the way it is described
AMV Most Appropriately Likened to a Durian
A durian is a fruit possessing a most repugnant smell, much like rotting garbage. However, the _taste_ of a durian -- the only true measure of a fruit -- has been described among gourmets as one of the closest approximations to Heaven itself. This award is given to the 2005 AMV that best resembles this torturous and yet terrific food.
REASON REJECTED: Self Expanitory
Best Action-Synch Video
Best matching of the music/lyrics to the action of the AMV. This video demonstrates the great cleverness and creativity of the creator in finding scenes that closely connect to the music, whether in serious or comical ways.
REASON REJECTED: Too close to Best Action.
Best Alternate Universe
Videos in this category warp the original storyline causing characters and outcomes to be different than what actually happened in the anime. It must also be convincing enough to trick people who have not seen or completed the anime that this version is true.
REASON REJECTED: Too specific...
Best Alternative Video
For many years, editors have attempted to create their own side of the story. Perhaps a story where a Naruto character dies in another's arms, or the forbidden love between two sailor girls, or the quest to a different world altogether. This award goes out to the best video that depicts a series in one of most alternative universes ever imagined.
REASON REJECTED: same as Best Alternate Universe
Best AMV From An Underused Anime
There are some very, very popular anime. As a result, there tend to be very, very many AMV created from those series. All well and good, and, of course, unsurprising. But what about the rest? There are a number of very good series that, for one reason or another, don't attract the same level of popularity. Some of it is the result of simple bad luck. Some of it is the result of a concept not exactly geared for widespread appeal. Again, not surprising, but that is little excuse. Those anime is what this category is for: (1) To, hopefully, spread news of these anime by one of the most effective forms of attention-grabbing among anime fans, the AMV. (2) To put a spotlight on those fans and creators who've already discovered these series and found something worthy in them.
REASON REJECTED: Too un-specific
Best Anime Game Video
This is the best AMV using anime games as a source.
REASON REJECTED:
Best Anime Tribute
We all know that people are making tributes to their favorite animes all the time. Wether it be a tribute to the good, the bad, or the just plain funny. If this video makes you want to go out and buy the anime or the game that the anime is from then it is the best anime tribute.
REASON REJECTED:
Best Anti-Terrorist Propaganda
The contemporary Free World is under constant threat from the spectre of terrorism. Thus, in these times, the people of the Free World require nourishment to fuel the spirit of patriotism. This award is given to the video that most effectively instills Liberty, Democracy, and Fraternity into its viewers.
REASON REJECTED: auuu.. No
Best Apocalyptic AMV
There are many videos showing what may or may not be the end of the world. Some give you a warm, fuzzy feeling and make you say, \"Wow, I hope life really does end up like that.\" Some scare you and make you paranoid for life. This award will feature the video which best portrays armagedden. Yay for paranoia!!!
REASON REJECTED: Not positive enough
Best ban
For the user who caused the most relief on the org when his ass got banned. You may want to consider giving this award to whoever submitted to the 2007 VCAs all the 2006 rejected categories.
REASON REJECTED: Isn't things like this what can get you banned?
Best Banner
Self explainatory, contest to see who has the best banner out of the worthy banners (and that banner that wins will become the official site banner (if you want, just for 2005 or 06))
REASON REJECTED: non video
best birthday/editor tribute video
theres been a few ths year :/
REASON REJECTED:
Best Charles Get Out of my Head Category
Charles as in Charles Xavier from the X-Men, this Category is meant to award those videos that have not been made yet but will be made in the future, the Editors will post names of Videos they are working in or ideas of Videos they are thinking of creating and the voters will predict witch is the best. NOO CHARLES NOOOOOO ARGHHHHHHH.....
REASON REJECTED:
Best Cliche Video
Using the same old anime, and the same old songs, but still worth watching more than once. Just how many creators can say they've done that?
REASON REJECTED:
Best Co-Op Video
A video, that clearly has signs of multiple hands on it. A video that does the best in combining AMV making styles of different authors, but still doesn't fail in engulfing the viewer to the pure awesomeness of the video. In short, the best Co-Operated Video
REASON REJECTED:
Best Commercial AMV
Best video using a commercial
REASON REJECTED: Too specific, Best trailer that includes commericals would be acceptable
Best composite video
These videos show our favorite characters from different shows interacting with each other. In the tradition of videos like Tainted Donuts, the winner of this category uses composite shots to mix universes in the most creative, effective, or technically convincing way.
REASON REJECTED:
Best Concept Video
I think it would be cool to acknowledge videos by how unique the concept is of an AMV. Sort of like how people take a different approach to anime that might seem unsual and makes it work. Also, it might include how a person chose to make an alternate story of an anime in music video form as opposed to using the original story.
REASON REJECTED: Too similar to most original video
Best Crossover Video
The best use of multiple anime seeming to interact with eachother in a video. This can cover both the masking/layers integration of characters (i.e.: NarutoballZ) or combining clips of different anime in such a way that it seems the two are part of the same storyline (i.e.: evilspider's "Revenge").
REASON REJECTED:
Best Dada AMV
Dada is a movement of art that is, in a sense, a movement against art. The best video in this category must therefore be judged by is strict non-adherence to cliche, standards, and forms common to AMVs, in a sense, the ANTI-AMV expressed WITH an AMV. Deep.
REASON REJECTED:
Best DDR project rip off
Lets face it, almost every MEP over the last year has been an overglorified inferior copy of the DDR projects. Instead of 'Best MEP' we should just call a spade a spade and name it 'Best DDR project rip off'.
REASON REJECTED:
Best Demented Video
This video is so strange, unusual, and demented that it just stops all thought processes in your brain. You're left gawking throughout the entire AMV, and when it's over, the only rational thing you can say to yourself is, "What the F**K was that?!" This video can be in any genre, from cute to funny to action to horror to parody, etc. P.S. (If you want to modify the title or any part of my description, I have no problem with that.)
REASON REJECTED:
Best Dinosaur
So basically, dinosaurs are totally sweet. The problem is, which one is THE sweet? I believe only the 2006 VCAs can decide. Possible nominations include the T Rex, the triceratops, and Requiett. Fuck brontosauri, though. Those things are pussies.
REASON REJECTED:
Best Driving AMV
Best AMV containing Driving like initial d, etc.
REASON REJECTED:
Best Editing
The video witch displays the best quality (NOT quantity) of Action / Editing Sync is awarded this title regardless of the categories (Action, Comedy, Dance, etc.) the video belongs to.
REASON REJECTED:
Best Editor Not Participating in the VCAs
Even Editors not participating in the VCAs should be eligible for a VCA, This Category is for them!
REASON REJECTED:
Best Experienced Creator Video
The best AMV created by someone who has been making AMVs since 2003 or earlier
REASON REJECTED:
Best experimental AMV
The best experimental video where the creator search to find something different than traditionnal AMV.
REASON REJECTED:
Best Exposition of Conspiracy Theory
This award is designated for the video that best illuminates the shadows. It may be awarded posthumously, for it is highly unlikely that any such exposé deserving of this award would leave its creator alive.
REASON REJECTED:
Best Fan Service
T&A, and more T&A. i imagine the winner would get more downloads than the video fo the year :p
REASON REJECTED:
Best FanService Video
Video that uses fanservice the best be it male or female
REASON REJECTED:
Best Feel-Good Video
The video that gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside every time you see it. You watch it to cheer yourself up and it leaves you feeling generally happy about life and the world.
REASON REJECTED:
Best female amv creator
The best Female amv creator should get a own category :) Cause there are more men in the amv community and less girls so this should be a category :)
REASON REJECTED: Gender specific
Best Final Fantasy Video
Pretty much speaks for itself.. who doesnt like FF?
REASON REJECTED: Too specific
Best Foreign language video
Even though the songs not in English and as such you can’t completely understand what is being sung to you, you still can’t help but watch it again and again as the maker has still managed to convey their intended message to the viewer, even if it is in French or German or Italian or Spanish or Japanese or…………. You get the idea
REASON REJECTED:
Best Game Music Video
Premptive argument: "I know this isnt the Staple of the site but ive seen them here some good some Bad" Description:Only the best AMV's using only Game footage
REASON REJECTED:
Best GMV
This is the best video made this year using only footage from video games.
REASON REJECTED:
Best Haiku AMV
Video that utilizes simplicity the best.
REASON REJECTED:
Best Hentai Video
We all like a little sexual tension dont we? What video made us cream ourself (the most) over the last year?
REASON REJECTED:
Best Hidden Gem Video
Given to a video with under 200 downloads and 20 ops at the time of the VCA announcement. Helps give those videos by unknown editors a chance to shine.
REASON REJECTED:
Best Hip-Hop Dance Video
Ladies! I say Ladies! Just Gimmie a chance to do a Hip Hop dance. Just gimmie a chance to do a Daaaance!
REASON REJECTED: Best Dance cover this already
Best Inthesto Video
Because we all know Inthesto needs an award
REASON REJECTED:
Best Introductory Video
There is so much anime out there... This video is the best at getting more curious fans interested in a series they have not seen yet.
REASON REJECTED:
Best Iron Chef/Iron Editor Video
Video with the best overall editing that was made in an Iron Chef/Iron Editor-style competition.
REASON REJECTED:
Best Male Model
How else would we know who to dream about?
REASON REJECTED:
Best Mediocre Video
This video is the best example out there of what most people are easily able to do.
REASON REJECTED:
Best Mixed AMV
A video that uses multiple anime and/or music sources and combines them perfectly.
REASON REJECTED:
Best Montage Video
A video that uses lots of different animes in it without taking away from the true point or concept of the video.
REASON REJECTED:
Best Most Used Music AMV
Every year there are hundreds of AMVs that get passed over by viewers because the song/artist has been used way too much. Unfortunately this predetermined notion leaves many AMVs that were actually done well overlooked. What this category does is give those AMVs a chance to shine. AMVs that were well done with bands like System of a Down, Linkin Park, Disturbed, Nightwish, and Korn would be noticed by the members. Most used anime would not matter, the focus is on the use of the music. Consider this category like a hidden diamond in a sea of quartz.
REASON REJECTED:
best multi music video
This video contains more than one song. Do I really need to expain it any further?
REASON REJECTED:
Best Scientific / Technical Advancement
The Academy Awards have this. The VCAs should, too. This award shall be given to the video that contains what is decided, by the community, to be the "best" technology/engineering advancement in AMV editing. This award necessitates the creation of thread(s) in which candidate creators (which, in this community, pretty much means "anyone who thinks they have a shot") describe how they did what they did in the videos that they are submitting for consideration. The more detail, the finer distinctions can be made. This differs from "best use of visual effects" in that it does not consider _how_ those effects are _applied_. (I guess this is a deviation from the way the Academy does it, but I think this deviation is necessary, since "best use of visual effects" doesn't necessarily imply "best scientific or technical achievement", and I feel that the latter deserves some sort of reward.)
REASON REJECTED: Would be interesting, but just not practical
Best Short Video
Videos that are very short in length. The Length must be less than 1 minute (60 secs, such that the limit is strict on definition). Intros and Previews may also be included in this category.
REASON REJECTED: Would be hard to track with current tools
Best Use Of Excessive Eclipses
This is kind of like the ellipse category, except it's even cool when the moon blocks out the sun. I mean, that is SO COOL when the moon is like, "FUCK YOU SUN, I'MA TAKE OVA YO SHIT." Then the sun's just like "OH NO YOU DIDN'T." Yeah, this should be a VCA category too, bitches.
REASON REJECTED: No Comment
Best Use Of Excessive Ellipses
Silent dudes are badass. Crono proved this. Since AMVs can't really be silent, we settle for the next best thing: grammatical representation of silence. Ellipses are REALLY badass, and deserve to be used in AMVs. I don't think they have been in the past, and that's why we need a VCA category for them.
REASON REJECTED: Auuug.... Next it will be circles, squares, doughnuts...
Best Video Dedicated to An Individual
Whether to celebrate one's birthday, or for no real reason at all, many editors dedicate their videos to certain people.
REASON REJECTED:
best video made on windows movie maker
a video that made on nothing but the movie maker
REASON REJECTED: Too specific I made this on"fill the blank" category
Best worse MEP
How the hell else am I going to get an award unless I tailor the categories for what I've made this year?
REASON REJECTED: Lets not even go there!
Best Yaoi
Because women seem to like masturbating to homosexuals of the opposite sex just as much as men do.
REASON REJECTED: Against site rules
Biggest effect whore
Lets face it, all anyone wants from effects are shiny effects and lots of them. This is for the person who made the most gratuitous use of flashing, lens flares, and other in your face effects.
REASON REJECTED: too specific
Creator Most Appropriately Likened to a Cryptographic Hash Function
They're poorly understood individuals who are known for taking similar source material and creating something blindly distinguishable and almost totally random, and yet you know that what they do has immense value in the AMV community. Length of video probably isn't so important, although if that's similar across videos, that's cool, too. We're going for likeness, not exact matches.
REASON REJECTED: This is getting too specific and probably be too subjective by voters
hardest to please/toughest critic
self explanitory
REASON REJECTED:
Ludwig Josef Johann Wittgenstein Award for...
You don't even know who he is :\
REASON REJECTED:
memeplexes Extrodinaire!
Award given to the video that has caused the best meme Within the AMV community. Plus Memeplexes is awesome to say, Go on try it... There You can't tell me that's not awesome.
REASON REJECTED:
Most Awards
Basically, if a video has already won a crapton of awards, what's the harm of giving it one more? :D
REASON REJECTED:
Most Convincing Depiction of an Alternate World
Whether through visual manipulation or skilled audiovisual juxtaposition, the point of this award is to reward the video that best constructs a world separate from the source material it draws upon.
REASON REJECTED: too specific
Most Improved
Most people improve with time...some jump far ahead in a short period of time.
REASON REJECTED: Same as Most Improved Editor
Most Interesting Adaptation of Philosophies from Other Artistic Fields
AMVs exist in a particularly rich intersection of video and audio art. The video that qualifies for this award does not necessarily have to be considered "most artistic", but it should, by community consensus, contain the most (visually, audibly, intellectually, etc.) interesting adaptation of philosophy(ies) from other fields of art. This can be considered a generalization of the Arnold Schoenberg Award, but with a less pretentious title and a much more general scope, thus (hopefully) encouraging greater discussion.
REASON REJECTED: This is just going to be too hard to judge
Most Memorable Video
This award goes to the video that, no matter what, stays in our hearts no matter how long it has been since we have seen it.
REASON REJECTED: Too similar to Senimental
Most Sigged.
Person who has been sigged the most in the forums.
REASON REJECTED:
Most Suggested Categories
The creator that attempted the hardest to make a beneficial contribution to the 2007 VCAs by suggesting clever or helpful award categories.
REASON REJECTED: You wish
Second best video of the year
Not quite good enough to be the best, but still pretty good.
REASON REJECTED: Same as 2nd place
The AIUB#$AjsN(*!@$KJBP* Award
For the video the gave that 'WHAT THE HELL DID I JUST WATCH?' feeling. Hey, the video made no sense so why should the category name?
REASON REJECTED:
The Arnold Schoenberg Memorial Award
This award shall be given to the video that best adopts the principles of serialism. What this adaptation is pretty difficult for me to describe, since there's so many ways that one could apply serial procedure to an AMV, but that's the point. "Best", for this award, can be constrained to "most obvious application" or "most effective application as defined by the voters". I think that this might spark an interesting conversation among VCA voters, and reveal some pretty cool videos in the process. (It also might flop, but you never know until you try.)
REASON REJECTED: interesting.. but too hard to judge
The Blair Witch Award
This goes for the video that EVERYONE has heard about. People rave about how great it is. So you go downloaded it and found out it was boring as hell and the camera work gave you motion sickness.
REASON REJECTED: Auu... No
The Olypmic Video
Why settle for ripping off just musicians and anime creators when we can rip off the International Olympic Committees trademarks as well?
REASON REJECTED: self explanatory
The wiki award
This is for MEPs only. It goes to the video that required tons of effort from many people just to end up being slightly worse than an already existing video.
REASON REJECTED: Not a positive category
The William Shatner Award
For the video that's so horrible that you end up telling your friends 'You gotta see this. You won't believe how crappy this thing is...'
REASON REJECTED:


Now discuss.

Or waste away a thread. WHICHEVER YOU THINK IS BEST.
-SQ™
Changes are good. Wait until you've seen mine.
Latest video - Family (Oct 3, 2013)
User avatar
SQ
Doesn't have a title
 
Joined: 08 Nov 2002
Status: Forever Navy

Postby jasper-isis » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:41 pm

Best Anti-Terrorist Propaganda FTW.

Seriously though, that's a lot more than I thought there'd be. It just makes excessive work for poor Vlad. And if it weren't for him, who knows, there may not even be a VCAs this year! :o

Plus there's been talk of banning people from the VCAs if they spam the suggestions too much, so I'd keep it safe by posting funky new suggestions here and not there.
Image
User avatar
jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
 
Joined: 13 Aug 2002
Status: catching all the lights

Postby Otohiko » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:48 pm

I resent the lack of a Dada/Anti-AMV/Purposely-awful-video category :?
Otohiko
 
Joined: 05 May 2003

Postby godix » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:23 pm

Some things in that list make me wonder. Like the Best Yaoi thing. I'm not surprised it got rejected, I knew it would when I made it. What does surprise me is that Best Yuri has NOT been rejected yet and I suggested that at the exact same time. Who knows, maybe they're considering an award for lesbian lovefests but to hell with that faggot shit. I never realized Vlad was a sexist before...
Image
User avatar
godix
a disturbed member
 
Joined: 03 Aug 2002

Postby Vlad G Pohnert » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:01 pm

The idea of having suggestions is to get so possible new cool categories that will work with the boundries of the contest. This is tough and not as easy as it sounds and means that if one or two new cool ones get added, I consider it a success!

There are some good suggetions, just some of them are not practical in a contest of this type or too specific involving only a small percentage of videos...

As for the Spam, I don't mind a good bunch of suggestions, it's just gets time consumming having to sift through the tons of silly fillers that make it less enjoyable and after a long days work, you don't want to have to do that on top...

I think next year, the top two spammers should get to go through the categories and we get to spam them :P

Vlad
User avatar
Vlad G Pohnert
 
Joined: 02 Jan 2001
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Postby Otohiko » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:04 pm

I still think that Anti-AMVs are huge enough category to warrant a separate award. Hell, there have been whole MEPs of them now, made with the exact purpose of poking fun at the idea of an AMV. Of my video output, well over half of what I did in 2006 was essentially that. :roll:
Otohiko
 
Joined: 05 May 2003

Postby Vlad G Pohnert » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:05 pm

godix wrote:Some things in that list make me wonder. Like the Best Yaoi thing. I'm not surprised it got rejected, I knew it would when I made it. What does surprise me is that Best Yuri has NOT been rejected yet and I suggested that at the exact same time. Who knows, maybe they're considering an award for lesbian lovefests but to hell with that faggot shit. I never realized Vlad was a sexist before...


THat's becuase some of the duplicated and totaly irrelavent or essay like descriptions just get deleted, otherwise the list would take up a book...

Don't lable people something before you know the real reason. Quite honestly, this all takes up free time to do and no one is getting paid, its all done by fellow AMV fans :wink:

Vlad
User avatar
Vlad G Pohnert
 
Joined: 02 Jan 2001
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Postby godix » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:17 pm

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:I think next year, the top two spammers should get to go through the categories and we get to spam them :P

That'd be something to try for if we could approve the categories...

THat's becuase some of the duplicated and totaly irrelavent or essay like descriptions just get deleted, otherwise the list would take up a book...

Don't lable people something before you know the real reason. Quite honestly, this all takes up free time to do and no one is getting paid, its all done by fellow AMV fans Wink

No yuri? Damn, this is turning out to be a boring contest.
Image
User avatar
godix
a disturbed member
 
Joined: 03 Aug 2002

Postby Fall_Child42 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:47 pm

SQ A huge majority of those were The categories spammed from last year :|

Pay attention will you?

Vlad Also... Next year I will if I can Voulenteer for Category review

:D I just hope people are as creative as they were last year, (best use of ellipses / eclipses made me LOL)
Image
User avatar
Fall_Child42
has a rock
 
Joined: 11 Aug 2004
Location: Jurassic Park
Status: Veloci-tossin' to the max!

Postby Vlad G Pohnert » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:49 am

What do you all thing about a "Best Hip Hop Video".. I think because there are not a lot of video done to this style, it's probably too specific, but I'll ask your thoughts on this...

Vlad
User avatar
Vlad G Pohnert
 
Joined: 02 Jan 2001
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Postby Ileia » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:01 am

It's not a bad idea, but I think this will lead to people wanting other genres represented.
User avatar
Ileia
CornDog Whisperer
 
Joined: 09 Aug 2004
Location: On teh Z-drive, CornDog
Status: ....to completion

Postby Nessephanie » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:53 am

I say yes...cause then I can vote for Ileia's video >_>
User avatar
Nessephanie
Cookie Monster
 
Joined: 07 Nov 2004
Location: Chicago

Postby Orwell » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:34 am

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:What do you all thing about a "Best Hip Hop Video".. I think because there are not a lot of video done to this style, it's probably too specific, but I'll ask your thoughts on this...

Vlad


Too specific / its all popsa to me.
Latest
[Kristyrat]: Vote for Orwell
[Kristyrat]: because train conducters are dicks.
Otohiko: whereas Germans are like "god we are all so horrible, we're going to die a pointless death now."
User avatar
Orwell
godx, Son of godix
 
Joined: 06 Jan 2004
Location: Frying Pan. Destination: Fire.

Postby dokool » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:47 am

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:What do you all thing about a "Best Hip Hop Video".. I think because there are not a lot of video done to this style, it's probably too specific, but I'll ask your thoughts on this...

Vlad


I don't think it's necessary, I think categories should be more on technical/skill merit than 'wow, it's hard to do an AMV to this genre of music.' If you allow this, then you'd have to allow "Best DBZ Video," "Best AMV Using An Anime Never Released On DVD", etc.
User avatar
dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash
 
Joined: 31 Jul 2002
Location: Tokyo, Japan

Postby Kristyrat » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:07 am

dokool wrote:
Vlad G Pohnert wrote:What do you all thing about a "Best Hip Hop Video".. I think because there are not a lot of video done to this style, it's probably too specific, but I'll ask your thoughts on this...

Vlad


I don't think it's necessary, I think categories should be more on technical/skill merit than 'wow, it's hard to do an AMV to this genre of music.' If you allow this, then you'd have to allow "Best DBZ Video," "Best AMV Using An Anime Never Released On DVD", etc.


Agreed, even if it might be interesting to categorize things further, I think it would be hard to judge what people would consider Hip Hop, not to mention, as dokool said, it would open up the debate for hundreds of other specific categories.

[Kristyrat]
Image
User avatar
Kristyrat
Time-traveling penguin
 
Joined: 26 Sep 2004
Location: Igloo
Status: Lies and fish

Next

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest