nerd topic: the ten dimensions

This forum is for members to discuss topics that do not relate to anime music videos.

nerd topic: the ten dimensions

Postby downwithpants » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:14 pm

here's a flash that describes the ten dimensions as posed by string theory
http://www.tenthdimension.com/medialinks.php

it looks like dimensions follow a pattern of: line, split, fold with dimensions 1-3 through space, dimensions 4-6 through time, and dimensions 7-9 through initial conditions. the model is appealing. it attempts to explain not only space and time, but also probability, human perception, and causality. but at the same time, there is no evidence given supporting the model and im too lazy to read up anymore on it.

any physics nerds here? is the flash accurate? is there any proof supporting or contradicting the model of the dimensions? is there any substance to string theory or is it just speculative fodder for drug-influenced conversation?
maskandlayer()|My Guide to WMM 2.x
a-m-v.org Last.fm|<a href="http://www.frappr.com/animemusicvideosdotorg">Animemusicvideos.org Frappr</a>|<a href="http://tinyurl.com/2lryta"> Editors and fans against the misattribution of AMVs</a>
downwithpants
BIG PICTURE person

Postby Minion » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:35 pm

the whole flash is theory. i'm personally not a believer.

theres no proof of there being a first or second demension. even a cartoon character on a piece of paper has some depth. that depth being how high up the lead is on the paper.
an atom, and the smallest portion of an atom we can imagine still has depth, and is thus still 3 demensional.

we have the understanding of what a second demension could be, and thats all. the second demension is only a thought. like the image in out minds of a cartoon playing on the tv.
we can think in 2 dementional objects, but thoughts and perception are not matter.

without there being a a REAL second demention, i find it hard to believe that there can be more demensions based off of time, variables (alternate realities), and so on to more complicated demensions.

WHEW!
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes
Minion

Postby Otohiko » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:13 pm

I personally find that rather cool and, given sufficient evidence outside of a flash animation, I might well be converted. I'm not a physicist so I can't judge; though a lot of this is in line with my own views about the universe (which don't go as far, but I'd be willing to take them there).
Otohiko

Postby downwithpants » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:24 pm

Minion wrote:theres no proof of there being a first or second demension. even a cartoon character on a piece of paper has some depth. that depth being how high up the lead is on the paper.
an atom, and the smallest portion of an atom we can imagine still has depth, and is thus still 3 demensional.

well hold on a second. doesn't every real object have duration? there's no such thing as a three dimensional object with no time dimension because it would have to exist for one split second then cease existing before the very next split second. thus, 3 dimensional objects aren't real or at least not perceiveable.

furthermore, no object has a predetermined future (well, we could argue this), so there's no such thing as a 4-dimensional object with no extension into the 5th dimension.... and so forth till you reach the 10th dimension.
maskandlayer()|My Guide to WMM 2.x
a-m-v.org Last.fm|<a href="http://www.frappr.com/animemusicvideosdotorg">Animemusicvideos.org Frappr</a>|<a href="http://tinyurl.com/2lryta"> Editors and fans against the misattribution of AMVs</a>
downwithpants
BIG PICTURE person

Postby Kristyrat » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:13 pm

I saw this a while back, and I'm actually really tempted to get this book. As I see it, the whole, shortcut over a 2-d space made in 3-d, thus there needing to be a shortcut for 3-d space in 4-d seems pretty plausible, just maybe not our accessability to this shortcut. One neat extrapolation of this idea is a sculpture (forget the name or artist :X) of what a 4-d object's shadow would look like, since 4-d objects have 3-d shadows, as 3-d shadows have 2-d ones.

Another interesting offshoot of this, is the whole consideration of time. For all intents and purposes, time does not exist (imo), it's merely a creation of humans for organization. The world does not pass through time, there is no real past or future, so it is essentially impossible to travel through time, but perhaps possible to travel to time, if one was to consider the possibility of multiple universe and the theory of events as a river flow, rather than a simple line from point A to point B.

But this is where things start to ride towards the philosophical rather than the more or less concrete realm of physics. Just some food for thought I suppose ;)

[Kristyrat]
Kristyrat
Time-traveling penguin

Postby Minion » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:23 pm

Kristyrat wrote:time does not exist (imo), it's merely a creation of humans for organization.

this is what i believe.
and it would debunk most of the improbably theories, since most of the really crazy ones have time somehow linked to it.

for instance, einstein believed that if 2 people got in seperate rockets, and traveled around the earth in opposite directions near the speed of light; that time would be moving faster for one of them. at a crazy rate too. like, one would be 8 years old while the other is turning 70.

and i think that theory is bullshit, and means nothing if time doesn't exist.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes
Minion

Postby Fall_Child42 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:03 am

All math is theoretical to a point. It is completely based on axioms that are impossible to proove, and require a certain amount of faith.
Fall_Child42
has a rock

Postby godix » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:00 am

While I don't want to join the 'science is bad' group I will point out that the string theory violates one of the most basic aspects of science. Does it predict anything observable? According to the theory, no it doesn't. There isn't a single test or observation about our universe which can prove or disprove it. I mean at least Einstein had the whole starlight bent during an eclipse thing. It took awhile for us to be able to observe it, but his theories had a way to prove/disprove them. String theory? Nada. I don't demand proof right now to believe scientist might be right but it'd be nice to know that somewhere along the line there's a chance to get proof. So we have a complex belief about how the universe works that makes no predictions and has no chance of ever being proven wrong. That ain't science, that's a religion. Although a very unusual one in this case.
godix
a disturbed member

Postby Minion » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:16 am

you don't know the history of science. i do
lets ask xenu
Minion

Postby guy07 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:51 pm

/me head spins
Thats some deep shit right there. I understand about half of it : /
question: this does 10 dimensions, i didn't read the whole thing but does it state that there are only 10 dimensions or can dimensions be infiniate? I wonder ...
guy07

Postby Ch3aLs3A L!n@ » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:02 pm

Actually as I can say about it cuz I have to replay all the time those flash bcuz some of ppol say 1-4 it does exist or so but for me well that the life of math and physic on how you to handle those thing is your mind.

Going debate is gud and knowledgeable but it's up to each in everyone if they do believe nor not. I say it's 50/50 I do believe but then in the other hand not because you can really explain those stuff if you do all those and my question is WHO's person did that?

And also who made that is very imagination person but not NERD ;)
Ch3aLs3A L!n@

Postby badmartialarts » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:00 am

Go read "The Elegeant Universe" and hush up about 'possibility' dimentions. At least until I finish my doctoral thesis on it... :shock:

(Multi-dimensional time is one of the things I've been trying to think abut when I'm bored. Dangit, someone's gonna figure it out before me.)
Life's short.
eBayhard.
badmartialarts
Bad Martial Artist

Postby requiett » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:08 pm

Minion wrote:theres no proof

Science is only science when the outcome is predictable and repeatable.
requiett

Postby Minion » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:15 pm

i saw your name and was expecting an AD joke

for shame, brett :roll:
Minion

Postby Ch3aLs3A L!n@ » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:28 pm

badmartialarts wrote:Go read "The Elegeant Universe" and hush up about 'possibility' dimentions. At least until I finish my doctoral thesis on it... :shock:

It seems there is no person who can give the actual nor provide the "Possibility Dimension" it says :roll: I'm going to believe 100% if someone can show me that he already went there. And also give me the prove if there's 10 dimension in our life.

I'm saying I agree in 1-3 but the rest is all imaginary thoughts, mathematics calculation and science explanation but isn't bad at all to show to others that he discover a 10 Dimension or so...

My only priority in believing is.... prove it then I believe you. :D
Ch3aLs3A L!n@

Next

Return to General Discussion