Windows VISTA - Seriously Scary!

This forum is for members to discuss topics that do not relate to anime music videos.

Windows VISTA - Seriously Scary!

Postby rubyeye » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:32 pm

I haven't been following everything that's new with the VISTA operating system, but I'm always interested in the "security" issues and this week on the Security Now! podcast, they talk about how and why Windows Vista has incorporated the most pervasive and invasive system for digital rights management ever created, AACS.

This new generation of encrypted media is so obnoxious.
rubyeye

Postby madbunny » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:31 am

You know... I have mixed thoughts on this.

AACS is the devil. On the other hand, I don't think people are going to care much. Lets face it, adding a chip that handles AACS is going to be just about as tough as dealing with directX. After about a year, once everything is compatible, almost nobody will even notice.

So, you get a fancy monitor with an HDMI cable..
You get a video card with HDMI output.

The dual core, and quad core systems are getting fast enough that they can deal with the encryption, PLUS at some point somebody is going to figure out a way to decrypt the system.

Again, I don't think people are going to even notice. Much.

I've been using build 5600 for a while now. It is pretty stable, fast and looks good. It has a lot more intuitive features, than the previous versions. When version 6.1 hits the market 'for real'... who knows.
Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
madbunny

Postby guy07 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:56 pm

windows should of stopped at 98, XP sux and i'm sure vista will too.
guy07

Postby godix » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:06 pm

guy07 wrote:windows should of stopped at 98, XP sux and i'm sure vista will too.

That has to be the single dumbest sentence anyone has ever said since, well, the one time I told my wife I loved her.
godix
a disturbed member

Postby Scintilla » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:14 pm

guy07 wrote:windows should of stopped at 98, XP sux

What the hell? WinXP may not be mind-blowing, but it's a far sight better than Win98, especially where stability is concerned.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)

Postby Ileia » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:21 pm

Scintilla wrote:
guy07 wrote:windows should of stopped at 98, XP sux

What the hell? WinXP may not be mind-blowing, but it's a far sight better than Win98, especially where stability is concerned.

There's no sense trying, Scintilla. It's like trying to teach the floor how to read. Or maybe the ceiling since that's higher.
Ileia
CornDog Whisperer

Postby Beowulf » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:58 pm

godix wrote:
guy07 wrote:windows should of stopped at 98, XP sux and i'm sure vista will too.

That has to be the single dumbest sentence anyone has ever said since, well, the one time I told my wife I loved her.

Come on man, find a new gag.
Beowulf

Postby Nessephanie » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:18 pm

Beowulf wrote:Come on man, find a new gag.

I agree. The 'I hate my wife' thing has been played.
Nessephanie
Cookie Monster

Postby guy07 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:10 am

Yeah, true XP is more stable and secure, but it's default template is my real beef, it looks like shit and slows ur computer down a bit. The moment i got XP i switched my template to the 98 one. I changed as much back to 98 style as i could. I just don't like it, i'll leave it at that.
PS: godix, don't listen to them, u hating ur wife is hilarious. Too bad she's actully a nice person or it'd be funnier : /
guy07

Postby Minion » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:03 am

your basing your dislike of xp on the default setting that nobody keeps anyways? BRILLIANT!
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes
Minion

Postby madbunny » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:22 am

I thought this was supposed to be a bitching about Vista thread.
Actually, has anybody else been, or used it other than me?
Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
madbunny

Postby godix » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:13 am

guy07 wrote:PS: godix, don't listen to them, u hating ur wife is hilarious. Too bad she's actully a nice person or it'd be funnier : /

Ya know, you being the only person to say something like this is probably a huge red warning flag that the others are right. Damn. There goes 'Dedicated to My Wife, Again'. Now what the hell am I gonna do for an Acen submission?
godix
a disturbed member

Postby Nessephanie » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:27 am

madbunny wrote:I thought this was supposed to be a bitching about Vista thread.

This is the off topic forum...nothing is the way it's supposed to be (:
Nessephanie
Cookie Monster

Re: Windows VISTA - Seriously Scary!

Postby Ayanefan » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:02 am

rubyeye wrote:... they talk about how and why Windows Vista has incorporated the most pervasive and invasive system for digital rights management ever created, AACS.

I'm just peeved that I won't be able to install "offsite backups" to VISTA anytime soon until some brilliant, bordering on insane, person comes up with some way of "crackling" the Microsoft bank.

Am I clear enough on that one?
Ayanefan

Postby madbunny » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:56 pm

Nessephanie wrote:
madbunny wrote:I thought this was supposed to be a bitching about Vista thread.

This is the off topic forum...nothing is the way it's supposed to be (:

Crap, I totally forgot! You're right.

This topic is now about cardboard cutout characters!

madbunny

Next

Return to General Discussion