What are you playing?

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Tsunami Jones
is the best medicine.
Org Profile

Post by Tsunami Jones » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:52 pm

FFXII, Guitar Hero 2, and Guild Wars. Haven't played the former two in a bit though. Sorta cycling through 'em.

SarahtheBoring
Org Profile

Post by SarahtheBoring » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:06 pm

Flint the Dwarf wrote:Also, Suikoden 5 on your list, GREAT choice. Game was a complete surprise for me. First 5 hours were slow, but the next 70 were great. Yes, I racked up nearly 75 hours on that game before I beat it.
I keep hearing that half of the Suikoden series rocks and half of it sucks, but I can never remember which is which. So, since 3+ aren't hard to find or expensive, I figure the only thing to do is to play through and make up my own mind. (Have already played and liked 1 and 2.)

But Oblivion is the ultimate game until the next ultimate game comes along *hyperventilates* ...that's cool. I'm glad that people can still enjoy Morrowind. I loved that game and played the hell out of it; I think I had more hours on it than Oblivion, actually. (I played both on their respective XBoxen, borrowed, so there wasn't a PC issue. :?)

starcat09
Org Profile

Post by starcat09 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:18 pm

Zelda (gamecube), Kirby: Squeak Squad, and the ever-joyful "Let's Find Soft Foods that Won't Hurt our Teeth!"

Yeah. I got spacers. :/ Not fun. (Video games make a lovely distraction from the hunger though.)

Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Post by Kalium » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:53 pm

FF8 and Summon Night 2.

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:06 pm

SarahtheBoring wrote:I keep hearing that half of the Suikoden series rocks and half of it sucks, but I can never remember which is which.
I think the general consensus is that 4 and Tactics sucks, but 1-3 and 5 are pretty good. I've only played small parts of 1 and 2, and none of 3 though.
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:14 am

Here's a kind of odd question - and at the risk of sounding like an elitist - is genre preference a cultural/sub-cultural/socioeconomic/age-related thing, or am I just grossly out of step with everyone?

I find it kinda peculiar that most of my peers in North America whom I'd want to have any association with (and many AMVers fall under that category) have the exact same set of favorite game genres: arcade (I put Guitar Hero and DDR under this grouping), hack-and-slash RPGs (I put Blizzard's Diablo and MMORPGs in this category), JRPG, shooters, light strategy. There is also a hugely noticable lean towards consoles over PC games.

As soon as I go to Russia for example, while a lot of the same genres ARE popular too, but alongside them strategy games and simulations, for example, are VERY big, and consoles are mostly sneered at in favour of PC. Meanwhile if I go to find consolation in simmers' communities - it doesn't matter where people are from, they obviously prefer these types of games and they likewise sneer at consoles. But, from my observation, the average age of those types of gamers is about 35.

Not that I have anything against the typical games here, just wondering what's up, and how come I'm clearly so out there? Did I miss something in these games, or am I just weird like that?
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:22 am

im playing ff12 at home and FEAR at work
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes

NeoQuixotic
Master Procrastinator
Org Profile

Post by NeoQuixotic » Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:31 am

Right now for PC I'm playing Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion for the 3rd time (with the new expansion pack and add-ons now) and FlatOut 2. Everything else I'm playing on my Wii :D! I'm playing Excite Truck, Far Cry: Vengeance, and of course Zelda: Twilight Princess.
Insert clever text/image here.

GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Post by GloryQuestor » Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:58 am

Since I have an older computer, I haven't been playing anything modern on it. However, I do enjoy a game of Zuma or Bejeweled 2 to pass the time. For other games: UT2k4, Neverwinter Nights Diamond, and three tall stacks of CDs full of old classics (and not so classic) PC games I still need to go through and finish.

Console-wise, I'm working to finish Dirge of Cerberus, Final Fantasy III, and Chrono Cross' New Game + mode.
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Samurai Warriors Productions
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Main Events Operations Manager
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Senior Manager of Programming - Video Art Track

Moonlight Soldier
girl with bells
Org Profile

Post by Moonlight Soldier » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:04 am

Otohiko wrote: Not that I have anything against the typical games here, just wondering what's up, and how come I'm clearly so out there? Did I miss something in these games, or am I just weird like that?
Well, you'd have to give me some examples when you say strategy and sim. But, I play a lot of what I'd consider strategy games, (IE: Age of Empires, Ogre Battle, etc).

The only games I'll play on my PC are AoE and Gunbound. I have CSS, but my computer has a heart attack every time I play it.

I think a lot of North American games are sold on hype and brand recognition.

I'll never pick a console based on things criteria such as graphics capabilities. I wait to see if there's enough games I know I want to play that get released for it. (IE: my shiny new DS lite.)

Hell, my SNES is still hooked up so I can play games such as Seventh Saga and whatnot.

And right now I'm playing FFIII for DS. Soon to be followed with Mage Knight Destiny's Soldier.

Return to “General Discussion”