Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:19 pm

Buildings on the Admiralty Quay

Cheap Chinese food place on the Admiralty Quay

y halo thar?

The admiralty building in its usual decrepit state

*to be continued*
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:20 pm

Another wedding party near St. Isaac’s Cathedral and the Admiralty
Note where they appear to be coming out of :lol:

One of the doors to the St. Isaacs Cathedral. You can see how huge this is.

Columns Image

Oh hi
(again, good size comparison)

Moo

*to be continued*
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:21 pm

A spiral staircase leading to the upper colonnade of the cathedral, the most popular observation deck in an otherwise-low-built city.

Coming up to the Colonnade…

*to be continued*

Otohiko
Org Profile

One of the 4 small cupolas on the corners of the cathedral

Astoria Hotel from above

Birds’ eye views:

The high-rise buildings you see in the background of this one are the newer part of Vasilievski island where I lived.

Neva and the Menshikov Palace at the centre

A locked spiral staircase leading higher still.
(too bad it’s locked :( )

*to be continued*

Otohiko
Org Profile

Looking down at the traffic below

Kazan Cathedral at centre

Winter Palace in the middle, Admiralty and the fortress on the left, Palace square and Alexander’s column on the right

Isaakeevskaya Square below, with the statue and city hall

Square, slightly right. The large wooden cupola of the Ismailovsky Cathedral, seen under restoration on the right, was destroyed in a fire just before I went back to Canada :(

*to be continued*

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:22 pm

Senate Square, with the Bronze Horseman just out of view behind the trees

The exit?

Just one more picture!
Saviour-on-the-Blood in the centre, Palace Square on the left, very far on the right – the white rising spires of Smolny Cathedral

Coming down

Snapping a picture as I go, catching the Ismailovsky cathedral which would burn a couple of weeks later.

*to be continued*

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:23 pm

The Bronze Horseman

St. Isaac’s Cathedral, again
I’ll never get over the impression of mass it gives. A fantastic building.

Richly-decorated house on Manezhny Boulevard

For some reason this one stuck out in my memory – a gate into nowhere (that is, I remembered exactly where it was from back in the day, and had no trouble finding it – it’s not an official landmark or anything)

The old historic storehouse complex New Holland, presently under reconstruction by a French architect

*to be continued*

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:23 pm

Moika river

Building

Moika again

*to be continued*

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:24 pm

Mariinsky Theater, also known as Kirov Theatre, home of the most famous Ballet troupe in the world

Construction site for 2nd hall of the Mariinsky Theater – except the project for it was scrapped. They’re still clearing it, waiting for a new project to be approved.

*to be continued*

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:24 pm

Synagogue

Possibly the neatest and best-maintained building in the city

I’ve now entered Dostoyevski’s Petersburg, vividly described in Crime and Punishment. Dostoyevski was very exact about geographical detail; I wasn’t, but the overall area still gives the same impressions.

*to be continued*

Return to “General Discussion”