Oto in Motherland: a (huge) photo log

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:44 pm

The area where I lived and where some of the previous photos were taken, viewed from the gulf.

Interesting little ship, must be a historical replica

Kirill
clicking away, etc.

I'll post his take on the same trip later

*to be continued*
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:45 pm

A dredging rig on the gulf. Image
Most of the sea near St. Petersburg is very shallow, averaging less than 10ft. So shipping lanes are constantly dredged.

A powerplant on the north shore of the gulf

Ships heading for St. Petersburg.

Approaching Peterhof.

*to be continued*
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:45 pm

Note the change in water color due to clouds.

Arrived at Peterhof.

The main channel from the palace at Peterhof to the sea.

First fountain?
That's supposed to be a dog chasing ducks.
It comes with sound effects. The sound effects are aweful. It sounds like metal cutting more than barking/quacking.

The tallest fountain is "Samson", depicting Samson ripping up a lion. WRY. Image
All the fountains at Peterhof operate without pumps. The water comes from spring-fed ponds located on an escarpment above the gulf.

*to be continued*

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:46 pm

Obligatory Peterhof portrait, etc.
No, not of me, but who cares? Are you not convinced I was there >___>

Another fountain
The Tsars were fond of the whole... dude ripping animals thing :roll:

Fountains and gardens

Peterhof park

A swamp located on top of a hill. Image
Just to illustrate where the fountain water comes from, etc.

*to be continued*

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:47 pm

Ducks.

"Pyramid"

I dubbed this "Bring-your-own-fountain"

Hay guys.

What. Throwing money into fountains is traditional!
(350 roubles = $16 or so)

*to be continued*

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:47 pm

View from inside the "Mushroom" fountain.

Which works like this:

*to be continued*

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:48 pm

OMG HAX!!

And there's another of those... interactive fountains
It turns on and off randomly, or more likely – at the control of some guy sitting in a booth nearby.

*to be continued*

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:48 pm

You should number the pictures or something. It's really hard to comment on specific ones with so many to go through. ;p

The first pic of the riverside looked like it had people laying out on the grass - I was gonna ask if they were tanning (no one was in the water), but then you posted the "beach" picture. That water didn't look good for swimming, too dark. Is the river clean? It reminds me of the Ohio River - pretty on paper but not something you want to touch. The riverbanks were really clean, though, so it could just be dark water. Walk along the Ohio and you find everything from trashbags to bathtubs in the muck. >.>

First thing I thought about the little kids' playground was - "All those hard tire things and no swingsets." That's sad, but safer, I guess. Our elementary classes were on the same playground as the other years - up through 6th grade, so we always fought for the swings.

There's one picture you took of the "final bus/tram/trolley stop" that's filled with wires. Is that just the angle you took the picture from, or is that area really that full? So many wires just above the head it looks like a net, especially the blue sky off to the right. That's just scary looking - if there were trees planted there and one fell over in a hard wind all those wires would come down in a deadly tangle. o.o

About the entrance to the "Navy school" - there's something black sitting in the corner by the door, with two white teardrop things on the sides. What is that thing? It's...eyecatching.

Random notes:
Those 'communist block' (??) style apartments look very conservative building up and not out, but how do they stand in an earthquake? After the first pictures I thought of dominos standing on end waiting for something to tip the first one over...
You're friend Sergei has pretty hair.
The green statuary on the bookstore is gorgeous/neat. It's better looking than the pastel green winter palace building. And that's a *book* store?
That doorway/arch/balcony thing in that "typical street" picture is neat looking. I love architecture with style.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Pond with tiny ducks, etc.

One of the drains that leads out to the gulf through the park.

Classical fountain.

Those are some ominous clouds!

St. Petersburg in the distance.

*to be continued*

Otohiko
Org Profile

Statue.
I won't say anything about boobs I won't say anything about boobs I won't say

Palace garden

This, according to legend, is a tree planted by Catherine the Great herself.

Was a tree.

*to be continued*

Return to “General Discussion”