Depression issues (Still continuing....)

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Gene Starwind 21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

Depression issues (Still continuing....)

Post by Gene Starwind 21122 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:16 am

So I've been trying to figure out recently why am I feeling depressed. It's been a question I've been trying to answer for a long time. So let me pose this question to you guys. Does Facebook or other social media cause or lead to depression?

I mean I should be very happy with my life. I have my own townhouse, I have a job that pays well (despite not enjoying it), I'm in love with creating AMV's again, other hobbies I enjoy. I'm able to go to any convention I want to go to. So why am I upset?

I mean recently I have to travel more for work and that's taking more time out of my day and I have to skip the gym. If I don't then I can't get things done around the house or meet contest deadlines.

I guess there could be several factors for this.

However could Facebook be one of the causes for some issues of depression?

Gene
Last edited by Gene Starwind 21122 on Tue May 19, 2015 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
No matter what, stay calm, stay cool and live life to the fullest.
Plus as Gene would say always go big in life.
Anime Mid Atlantic AMV Contest Coordinator 2007-2011
Katsucon AMV Contest Coordinator 2010-2011
T-Mode Contest Coordinator 2013
Nekocon AMV Contest Coordinator 2014

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Re: Does Facebook cause depression?

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:43 am

Gene Starwind 21122 wrote:I mean recently I have to travel more for work and that's taking more time out of my day and I have to skip the gym. If I don't then I can't get things done around the house or meet contest deadlines.
I think you answered your own question.

Missing out on exercise is not only bad for you, but can also be a cause for depression as well.

I had a cold for 2 weeks which left me unable to exercise due to the cold weather and it drove me nuts to the point where I developed high blood pressure and anxiety attacks.

I'm barely recovering now and restarted my exercise, but I still have a long way to go before I start feeling fine again.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:54 am

Actually, I think your depression is stemming from not having the time to do the things you enjoy in addition to the lack of exercise.

I'm in the same boat where I have a good paying job with no stress or drama, a good apartment, and I work with some of the best internet reviewers out there. I'm not going through depression, but I'm going through panic and anxiety attacks and have no idea why.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I do think it's the lack of time to do the things I enjoy and I stress out on not being able to do those things. I try not to think about it too often, but the thoughts always exist in the back of my head. Been trying to do some mental exercises (like turning off my brain while driving) to keep myself calm, but it's tough work since my brain is moving at 10,000 miles an hour thinking of other things I enjoy.

dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
Org Profile

Post by dokidoki » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:47 pm

Gene Starwind 21122 wrote:Does Facebook or other social media cause or lead to depression?
You can find a bunch of articles if you google "Facebook depression". For one thing...
"The reason why we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind the scenes with everyone else's highlight reel." - Steve Furtick
I don't know how much time you spend on Facebook, but it is time that could be spent elsewhere.
Castor Troy wrote:Been trying to do some mental exercises (like turning off my brain while driving) to keep myself calm
Don't drive near me. :P
Image Image Image
"Comedy is a dying breed." -- kisanzi // "Comedy. Serious business." -- dokidoki

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:26 pm

Castor Troy wrote:Been trying to do some mental exercises (like turning off my brain while driving) to keep myself calm
Don't drive near me. :P[/quote]

I'm a perfect zombie while driving! :ying:

macchinainterna
Org Profile

Post by macchinainterna » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:35 pm

*puts on hipster glasses*

I was depressed before I was on facebook, but that doesn't mean it hasn't helped make it worse...

Tigrin
Org Profile

Post by Tigrin » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:40 pm

I would have pointed out the quote posted above about comparing your life to others on Facebook... in general, things that are posted on the Internet are very deliberately chosen, and especially on social media, people like to show off accomplishments and the best sides of themselves (as they perceive it, anyway).

In any case, I don't believe immaterial things outside of yourself like Facebook in and of themselves can cause physical changes in your body. Actual physical things could affect your mood, like a lack of exercise. I believe negative thoughts can also contribute a lot to depression, though. What kind of things do you find yourself thinking while browsing Facebook? Are those things based on objective facts, or just based on feelings or habit? You'll find that most of the time, negative things you might be thinking about yourself or negative comparisons are not based on any verifiable evidence, but just a feeling. Try to swap out the negative thoughts with more objective ones, like the quote about the highlight reel.

A lot of people think that just because there's good things going on in their life, that they can't or shouldn't be depressed. Anyone can become depressed... you're not somehow less worthy of your feelings just because there are things in your life going well. Even a person with everything in the world can still be unhappy if they find themselves thinking negative things about themselves.

Anyway I don't know if that helps at all... I've struggled a lot with depression in the past, and I've found that changing the way I think about myself, as well as spending more time doing things I enjoy or around other people, have made a big difference.

Gigatless
BEHOLD, CORN!
Org Profile

Post by Gigatless » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:11 am

Facebook causes depression ?
I suppose that being a genuinely lazy antisocial bastard causes depression.
I love my women like I love my AMV - furious low skilled action without any sync and technique.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I will suppress the detest.. and ignore the faith.
Curb the repulsion, and the depression.. and the dread and the hate.
I will get back up on the stage.. because I love you all
I'll keep pouring my heart out.. Cause This Is- Fucking- Rock N Roll!

Dr. Derpface, J.D.
Org Profile

Post by Dr. Derpface, J.D. » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:29 pm

Tinnitus

<Fire_Starter> Stirspeare: college=failsauce?
<Stirspeare> Fire_Starter: Electoral college etc.

"Then you weeaboo faggots need to stop thinking that Japan is ZOMG awsmsauce where all ur waifu dreams come true."
-Kionon / Athena - January 12, 2010

Return to “General Discussion”